DOTM Deluxe Dino/mirage and Que/Wheeljack

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

BDixonarts
Comic Colorist

DOTM Deluxe Dino/mirage and Que/Wheeljack

Post by BDixonarts »

just got news last night from our hasbro contact that the deluxe toys for Dark of the Moon Dino/Mirage and Que/Wheeljack have been pushed back to release early 2012 and the toys will be called Mirage and Wheeljack, not Dino and Que.
sig art comes from the Charticon Print I colored. Line art is by Brian Shearer, inks by John Wycough and colors by me
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

So if Hasbro has the rights to the names (Mirage and Wheeljack) to use on the toys.....why not just call them that in the movie??? :?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Because as it is a Hollywood film, it is necessary to have at least half a dozen "working names" to add extra confusion when they are not sorted out properly by the final cut. IE, Bonecrusher/Devastator/Brawl
BDixonarts
Comic Colorist

Post by BDixonarts »

the only BS i got from the name issue for those two was that matel had the rights to the ferarri and they didn't want the ferari to be seen as a transformer. It all looked like BS to me bacause cgi can cover a car's looks and as for wheeljack or Que, well I don't care if they call him Que because he looks retarded to me and it just seems like an insult to relate him to wheeljack. But all the books and comics had both of them being called by mirage and wheeljack.
sig art comes from the Charticon Print I colored. Line art is by Brian Shearer, inks by John Wycough and colors by me
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

It is true that Mattel has sole IP rights to production of licensed Ferrari toys, and any other companies must pay Mattel to produce Ferrari replicas. For this reason, I was surprised to see a Ferrari prominently portrayed in the film.
However, I don't see how it relates to the Dino/Mirage confusion. If anything, Dino is more obviously Ferrari, since Dino is a Ferrari car/engine.
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Since Dino is a ferrari, they got to choose what name he had in the film. They wouldn't take "Mirage" or the production name "Rush", so it was basically between "Enzo" and "Dino". Bay and Kruger went with the latter.

Now, when it comes to Que, no reason has been given at all.

But I really didn't mind either name at all, considering Que had such a tiny part in the movie, and Dino was nothing like the old Mirage at all, much like Sideswipe.
The Dark is Coming
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Time Traveller wrote:If anything, Dino is more obviously Ferrari, since Dino is a Ferrari car/engine.
Dino is also the name of the Ferrari founders late son.
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Well, I've seen the pics of Wheeljack from SDCC, and he doesn't look half bad. :)

Although I'm much more excited for the Soundwave toys coming out.

Maybe we should make a thread?
The Dark is Coming
BDixonarts
Comic Colorist

Post by BDixonarts »

I might get the mirage toy and I know how you guys are feeling, it doesn't matter to me much either with the names because to me dino looks nothing like mirage and doeswn't even put me in mind of him but as they called him mirage in the comics and movie novel I guess oh well. But then there is the question of why calling him Dino when that is another tie to ferrari?? Anyways just give us a decent looking toy with him and I will be happy. As for soundwave, I was hoping they were going to make a voyager or leaderclass but the highest one we will get of him will be a human allience.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Roadbuster wrote:
Time Traveller wrote:If anything, Dino is more obviously Ferrari, since Dino is a Ferrari car/engine.
Dino is also the name of the Ferrari founders late son.
I know. A lot of stuff is named after the family. For example, the Enzo is actually the Ferrari Enzo Ferrari. (the marque Ferrari, plus the car's actual name "Enzo Ferrari"). Not that they're conceited or anything.

Interestingly, Mirage and Wheeljack have one other link: the Lancia Stratos (G1 Wheeljack) was built around Ferrari Dino crate engines that Lancia bought for rally racing.
GPrime2011
Targetmaster

Post by GPrime2011 »

Reckon I'll be after the Ferrari figure, and I'll call him Mirage cos its a proper Transformer name....Dino sounds kinda dumb to me. ;(
I can swear I was conned as a child....cos no matter how hard I try, I just CAN NOT get my entire Decepticon army into the back of Astrotrain....