How to clean my G1 Optimus Prime?

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Sparticus Prime
Noob

How to clean my G1 Optimus Prime?

Post by Sparticus Prime »

Hey all, new to the forums here and was wondering if any of you could lend me your expertise on cleaning my G1 Optimus Prime.

1. Window Hazing. I have noticed that there is some windo hazing around the edges of Prime's cab windows. Any solution to this? I have heard of white vinegar, but does this work? Any other solutions?

2. Chrome. Optimus' chrome is a little worn, is there any way to help that out a little without damaging anything?

3. Tires. Any way of cleaning them up without damaging them as well?

Thanks in advance, and if these issues have be brought up before please post the link so I can look into it.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

The chrome is the trickiest, because it's not covered, it's gone. the only way to 'fix' that is to have the part professionally re-chromed.
Similarly, the hazy windows will be tricky to attack , but you could try some gentle soap on a Q-tip to push it into the edge where it sounds like the problem is.
For the tires, I'd recommend water, or a gentle soap in water, and an old toothbrush, to get into the treads. afterward, some armor-all rubber protectant never hurts!
Sparticus Prime
Noob

Post by Sparticus Prime »

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll give them a try. By gentle soap do you mean dish soap or hand soap? Thanks.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I'd say hand soap would suffice, dish soap is more aggressive, and a little goes a VERY long way. I haven't experimented with dish soap, but i'd avoid it. I have actually stood by Fantastik for years, but you have to be careful, because you can wash the colors right off of stickers and decals.

Like they say about any cleaner, "test on an inconspicuous area before use"!