?s about pre-TFs & reissues--price, quality, availabilit

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Rhymus
City Commander

?s about pre-TFs & reissues--price, quality, availabilit

Post by Rhymus »

Just out of curiosity...

Are the toys which inspired the G1 TFs (such as Microman/Microchange and Diaclones) easier or harder to find for sale than actual G1 TFs?

Which are more expensive? Does it make a difference if the pre-TF deco is the same or different from the deco of the actual G1 TF? (For example, G1 Trailbreaker was colored black, but [according to TFWiki.net] the Diaclone he was based on was available in black, blue, or yellow--do all three Diaclones cost the same amount, or is the black one more expensive because it's the same color as the TF?)

Are those pre-TFs of similar quality to their G1 TF counterparts? or did the TFs, for example, phase out die-cast parts in favor of plastic? (Actually, that gets into pre-TFs vs. TFs vs. TF variants, doesn't it?)

Does "authenticity" trump condition? Like, could someone get a C9 pre-Bumblebee for the same price as a C7 1984 Bumblebee, because the C9 toy isn't a "real" TF?

Reissues cost less than all of the above, correct? assuming the figures are in similar condition. What about quality? What about "authenticity"--to expand the earlier example, maybe a C9 pre-Bumblebee, a C7 1984 Bumblebee, and a C10 reissue Bumblebee?
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

The Marlboor Wheeljack and Diaclone "Blue" Bluestreak were 2 of my favorites. I hopefully will own both of these one day.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Re: ?s about pre-TFs & reissues--price, quality, availab

Post by Jose »

transit wrote:Just out of curiosity...

Are the toys which inspired the G1 TFs (such as Microman/Microchange and Diaclones) easier or harder to find for sale than actual G1 TFs?
Pre TFs are harder to get, they weren't as massive as Transformers and were available in less places.
transit wrote: Which are more expensive? Does it make a difference if the pre-TF deco is the same or different from the deco of the actual G1 TF? (For example, G1 Trailbreaker was colored black, but [according to TFWiki.net] the Diaclone he was based on was available in black, blue, or yellow--do all three Diaclones cost the same amount, or is the black one more expensive because it's the same color as the TF?)
Pre TFs usually are more expensive, but not all. The "Gats Blocker", or "Multiforce 14" is easy to get and cheap. It has all to do with supply and demand. As pre TFs aren't so common compared to a TF, you have less places to choose from and prices can increase.
As for decos, a different version makes it more desireable. Sideswipe, Inferno, Grapple, for example, are equal to their TF cousins, so if you get a loose one, you won't notice the difference. In fact, the early G1s which had no rub signs, are likely the very same thing.
Going to the Trailbreaker case, yellow is the hardest color to get (I don't have it) and blue the easiest, because it was available in the US too (but it's very desireable). Black isn't quite the same, it has yellow labels as its boxart. I happen to have a picture of mine, which also has clear windows... Something I am still unable to figure the exact spot in the timeline:

Will get a picture of my blue TB soon.
transit wrote: Are those pre-TFs of similar quality to their G1 TF counterparts? or did the TFs, for example, phase out die-cast parts in favor of plastic? (Actually, that gets into pre-TFs vs. TFs vs. TF variants, doesn't it?)
Same quality, same construction, except Ultra Magnus, because it lasted until 1987 and replaced many parts for more economic plastic and single pieced wheels, for example. Nice touch is, that Japanese and Italian launchers shoot!
transit wrote:
Does "authenticity" trump condition? Like, could someone get a C9 pre-Bumblebee for the same price as a C7 1984 Bumblebee, because the C9 toy isn't a "real" TF?
For the general matter, it's usually the other way around. The C9 TF may be worth near the C7 pre TF...! For the specific, Bumblebee has many colors... If it's the same red or yellow, won't make a big difference.
transit wrote: Reissues cost less than all of the above, correct? assuming the figures are in similar condition. What about quality? What about "authenticity"--to expand the earlier example, maybe a C9 pre-Bumblebee, a C7 1984 Bumblebee, and a C10 reissue Bumblebee?
As a general rule, hard core collectors are not keen on reissues, hence all are much cheaper than the old siblings... But all depends again on supply and demand. There was an eHobby Dirge for example, somewhere in the early 2000, which is much, much more rare and expensive than the original.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

i didn't say "Thank you for all that information"? Thank you for all that information!

Please, sir, can i have some more? [/Oliver]
Jose wrote:As a general rule, hard core collectors are not keen on reissues, hence all are much cheaper than the old siblings... But all depends again on supply and demand. There was an eHobby Dirge for example, somewhere in the early 2000, which is much, much more rare and expensive than the original.
You mean Reissues/Encores/etc are cheaper in terms of price, right? but are they the same quality (heck, are they even made of the same materials) as their G1/pre-G1 counterparts? How about other reuses of G1/pre-G1 molds, like certain G2 figures or RiD's Ruination?

Aside: i wonder if there are any scammers out there selling authentic G1 TFs as counterfeit Diaclone/Microman/Microchange figures! How messed up would that be?
Jose wrote:
transit wrote:
For the general matter, it's usually the other way around. The C9 TF may be worth near the C7 pre TF...! For the specific, Bumblebee has many colors... If it's the same red or yellow, won't make a big difference.
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

transit wrote:You mean Reissues/Encores/etc are cheaper in terms of price, right? but are they the same quality (heck, are they even made of the same materials) as their G1/pre-G1 counterparts? How about other reuses of G1/pre-G1 molds, like certain G2 figures or RiD's Ruination?

Aside: i wonder if there are any scammers out there selling authentic G1 TFs as counterfeit Diaclone/Microman/Microchange figures! How messed up would that be?
I mean they are cheap straight on the price range. The construction is near the same, although there's a "feel" which I can't describe, and is probably what gives collectors a more positive appreciation on vintage figures than the new issues.

As for scammers, I can't point my finger on anyone, but it's always buyer beware. Not always because of bad intentions you can get a reissue passed for an original.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl