Do you still collect?

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Do you still collect?

Yes
75%
No
8%
Maybe (Explain)
17%

Total votes: 12

Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Do you still collect?

Post by Countdown »

Well here is a question for you.

Maybe this is silly. Maybe it isn't. The new purchases thread seems to have slowed down and I wonder if it is because we are between TF releases or are people slowing down? I am including figures, comics, memorabilia, etc...

Chime in here.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

I still collect the occasional figure. I wasn't very interested in much of the TF3 merch. There are a few that I got (Leader SP and Ironhide) and some that I would like (Ultimate OP and HA Soundwave)..

I'm mostly waiting until the Generations line kicks back in and I get to see stuff I actually want.

If I had more $$$, I would be attempting to rebuild my lost collection. It's a slow start, but I'll get there eventually. I have most of RID, Armada and Energon to collect, with a few G1 or G1 related bots to pick up ( Reissue Powermaster Prime and Reissue UM).. In due time..
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Of course! :P Even when Hasbro/Takara slows down or forces movie related merchandise down our throats there are still plenty of awesome 3rd party products out there to keep me interested. Been on a bit of a G.I. Joe swing here lately, though. :wink:
Computron
Gestalt Super Warrior

Post by Computron »

I do for sure. I do have a problem though, I am out to sea. The only transformers here are the ones I brought with me. I will be getting some while I'm in some foreign country or a few. Then I'll be looking at some rediculousle costly TFs when I get back stateside. I may have the holy grail in a few months. Though I may settle for a recolor of it. There seems to be a lot of vintage toy stores in the SD area.
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I just bought a house. And have yet to move. No new figures for me for awhile.
skywarp408
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by skywarp408 »

Even if they stopped making new transformers, I have plenty of G1's I still need to get.
PETER IS GOD!Image
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

I am beyond my glory days of collecting, as my life has changed a lot, so I don't have much of a budget to enter seriously into collecting the Transformers I'm missing - which are those, which don't go below three digits. However, collecting is in my blood, so I have redefined my targets. I'm focused on toy cars, but I have bought some robot KOs or others. Or old videogames, magazines, etc., but in overall I don't see the day coming when I give up collecting.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

Define "collect".

i still crave TFs--the toys, the DVDs, the graphic novels, and more--and i fully intend to buy that which i crave... at some point.

But i'm trying to experiment with something called "responsibility", and this related thing called "budgeting", and as a result i very seldom add to my collection unless i find something at a super discount (yard sales, thrift stores, outlets, KOs, the MISB G1 Jetfires a neighbor of mine was handing out to trick-or-treaters, etc)--and sometimes not even then.

So, i guess i would say, yes, i collect... but with frequent dry spells.
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Forever erase those quoted words from your memory. You don't need to eat. You certainly don't need heat this winter. Tough it out AND grow your collection.

By the way, when you freeze yourself to oblivion can I have your collection?
F18Starscream
Powermaster

Post by F18Starscream »

I would say yes to a point. My job has cut my hours. House repairs/maintenance are getting a little more costly. And over all life issues has forced me to scale back on TF purchases. I really don't buy Tf's that much anymore. Only a occasional random Tf here and there. But in general there's nothing out there that I want right now (except for leader class SP,Ironhide) But besides that I do not see me buying anything in a while. I'm still on the fence on the TF Prime toys.
Steeljaw
Throttlebot

Post by Steeljaw »

Last edited by Steeljaw on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I literally know nothing else. I have collected every day of my life without hesitation since the ripe old age of 2. My parents are collectors, now I've married a collector. I can't imagine stopping. I'd probably shrivel up and die, like a star whose fusion can no longer forcibly expand to prevent total collapse.

Not to be too melodramatic about it.

I'm adapting, though. I'm getting to the point where I'm "caught up"... G1 was a big turning point... luckily... a big downturn in my spending. I also get to collect some different some series I otherwise couldn't afford... Running TFL-North, I've been "collecting" cool toys I don't intend to own, by building archives. Silverhawks, Thundercats, Star Wars, GI Joe... I'll take pictures, put all their gear together, and then sell them. Since they don't transform, all I have to do to revisit them is check out the pix! I still get the thrill of looking forward to figures I haven't had before, and the satisfaction of filling in archive slots, but without emptying my wallet and filling my basement (well, not permanently. Buy more stuff!)

As for the future of my collection... Right now, finishing GoBots is actually a priority. I'm slowly plugging in a few post-G1's that elude me, but after GoBots and those few items I missed in stores are done, I'm on to wherever Hasbro takes us.

I might get into Euro exclusives a bit more, or maybe Jap G1 when I get rich.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

I've been selling most of my TF collection
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I only collect Transformers, G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K currently. Though the temptation to collect other lines is definitely there. Marvel Universe is at the top of that list....But I have to say I've pretty much reached a stagnant/all caught up point with both G.I. Joe and Transformers. The M.A.S.K collection I took seriously for a few months then forwent buying anything else after the Boulder Hill purchase but I still need quite a few pieces to fill gaps in my collection. Running out of room in the office though....*sighs*