help?? dates on aerial bots

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

somanc

help?? dates on aerial bots

Post by somanc »

i looking over my collection which ive had since new and 2 of my G1 aerial bots slingshot and skydive dont have dates on them ? but my other aerial bots do, why is this ?

does this mean that some transformers have had their dates missed off ,anyone have a similar situation?
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Yes. While I haven't seen this in the Aerialbots, I have seen seekers with no date stamps -Thundercracker and Skywarp for now -, and cassettes - Ravage -as well. I'm doubtful regarding the Ravage if it's a knockoff or not - didn't pay too much for it, so I had to gamble, but with the jets I'm positive they're authentic.

My reason to believe they are genuine is the material. I have had in my hands a Soundwave knockoff from the 80s and it makes evident in the tiny details, such as the face, that it doesn't have the very same mold, as it came out rougher as the real ones. These jets instead are, well, too well built.

The presence/lack of copyright stamps makes no warranty of authenticity in my opinion. Lately I have seen on ePrey several unlicensed versions and the chemistry shows small differences in places like the rubber tires, or certain rivets, while they have the correct copyright stamps.

Going to a figure with no date stamp, my guess it's a "transitional" issue. Most Transformers lasted two years in production, and I believe their production waves were divided by semesters - I'll explain this later -. If you come accross two samples of the same character, it's possible they have different date stamps. In order to do this, you have to make a slight modification in the tool, and somehow, certain models were made during this period. As I said, I'm guessing and I would have to hear some insight from a former Takara employee.

In depth with the semester spans, maybe you have found a loose Grapple/Inferno and wanted to complete it later. You came accross a set of fists and then the gun. But - wait a second - the gun either fits loosely or doesn't go in. Inferno and Grapple, apart from their Diaclone counterparts, lasted one year in the catalogue - and as far as I know, they weren't available as mail ins like Mirage, Jazz, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Ratchet and Thundercracker - and you can find such differences. Well, I suppose it's logic to alterate the mold after a while for research - increase safety for play wear, reduce costs, etc. - and I believe that time was a semester. Don't tell me the differences come from the Classic Heroes reissues or later, as vintage Grapples and Infernos are Japan made, and I have seen two different date stamps with Japan on both, while the classic heroes were made in Macau.

I'm doing a lot of research on this, but I don't have time now to write it down. :oops:
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl