DOTM Dino/Mirage

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

GPrime2011
Targetmaster

DOTM Dino/Mirage

Post by GPrime2011 »

I've seen pics and stuff for all the figures from Dark Of The Moon.....but there dont seem to be anything for the dino/Mirage figure, no sign of a Deluxe model or anything...

Why is this? How his toy isnt making an appearence?
I can swear I was conned as a child....cos no matter how hard I try, I just CAN NOT get my entire Decepticon army into the back of Astrotrain....
Nemesis Prime
Throttlebot

Post by Nemesis Prime »

you know, you're right... i havent seen the DoTM Mirage/Dino figure at all oO

i wonder if his fig was part of the wave that got canceled ..
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

He was never developed as a toy. The cancelled wave was Soundwave and Que/Wheeljack.
GPrime2011
Targetmaster

Post by GPrime2011 »

Its tragic really cos when i saw there was going to be a Ferrari, I thought 'That one needs to be in my colleciton.' DOH! :(
I can swear I was conned as a child....cos no matter how hard I try, I just CAN NOT get my entire Decepticon army into the back of Astrotrain....
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Frankly, I was surprised by the inclusion of a Ferrari character, but unsurprised by the lack of a toy. Ferrari has sold 100% control of their toy merchandising rights to Hasbro's age-old nemesis, Mattel. Any other toy company (ie, Burago, a die-cast car manufacturer) must apply to Mattel for licensing rights. I have seen other companies obtain a piece of the pie from Mattel, but never Hasbro, to date.
GPrime2011
Targetmaster

:(

Post by GPrime2011 »

Thats a shame....guess I'll have to make one of my own...........or rather i would if I had the know how :(
Shrapnel
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Shrapnel »

There is going to be a Legion-class Mirage toy out soon, however, it is a repaint of the ROTF Legends-class Sideways. In all fairness, that mould is probably the best choice if you HAVE to use a repaint for Mirage but I was really hoping Hasbro would make a generic Ferrari-ish car that would change into an accurate looking robot mode. Oh well.
GPrime2011
Targetmaster

:)

Post by GPrime2011 »

That sucks really damn Hasbro!..........

You would have thought they shud have made him a single seater racing car of some kind in my oppinion, even if it wasnt an F1 car, it would have been a better homage to Mirage. :(
Rhymus
City Commander

Re: :(

Post by Rhymus »

GPrime2011 wrote:Thats a shame....guess I'll have to make one of my own...........or rather i would if I had the know how :(
You could make a Robot Powered Machines version. ;-)

One of the things that drives me bonkers about the live-action films is the inconsistency of names/characterizations. If the guy's named Dino in the movie, other materials shouldn't call him Mirage. (Or did Mirage come first? Either way...) Make Dino and Mirage guys with the same body type (like G1 Prowl and G1 Smokescreen), or make Mirage a G1 homage like GPrime2011 said, but the multiple names just feel like sloppy/hasty writing.

i'm sure my G1 friends Convoy, Meister, and Silverstreak would agree with me.

As for Mattel having exclusive rights to Ferrari toys... [sigh] i guess i see how Mattel and Ferrari would both want an arrangement like that, but it sure is inconvenient when Hasbro/TakaraTomy/TF wants to do things like this.

But i'm totally buying Barbie's Dream Ferrari Battle Mech.
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

It IS sloppy/hasty writing! My pal Brawl/Devastator would agree.

Mattel's rights to Ferrari started in the 90's, after WJ's Turbo Racer et. al.
GPrime2011
Targetmaster

Post by GPrime2011 »

If its sloppy and rushed writing we're talking about....I blame MICHAEL BAY I sure he some influence in what happens and who's in them etc etc! I sometimes wonder how the movies you have been if someone like JAMES CAMERON was at the helm. :)

As for making one, I really dont have the skill/money/time etc.
Rhymus
City Commander

Re: .

Post by Rhymus »

GPrime2011 wrote:As for making one, I really dont have the skill/money/time etc.
That was the joke. The RPMs were those toys like Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars with a picture of the robot mode on the bottom. Buy a Hot Wheels Ferrari, print out a picture of Dino in robot mode, Scotch tape it to the underside of the Ferrari, and there you go!

Memo to self: It's not funny if you have to explain it.
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
GPrime2011
Targetmaster

Post by GPrime2011 »

Yeah I got it lol.....problem was I looked at the link "after" I replied......haha kinda spoilt it really. :(

Maybe I shall do that..... lol
Shrapnel
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Shrapnel »

They actually did make a Speed Stars version of Mirage. I don't know how limited the distribution was as line was on the way out at the time but I did see some at local ShopKo stores. I don't remember what the car model looked like but the image underneath was actually of the movie version of the character.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

The distribution on all Speed Stars and RPMs was piss-poor, especially in the US. I'm currently trying to piece together what was even released in the US, for archive purposes. Seems like Europe is the best bet to snag these.

As for Mirage, his vehicle was not a licensed Ferrari, for reasons above. He was released in the US however.

Interestingly, the Speed Stars Sideswipe was also NOT a licensed Corvette! It was some generic sports car that almost looks more Maserati than Chevy. And he had licensed toys... weird!