Keep them in the boxes

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

R33c3
Decoy

Keep them in the boxes

Post by R33c3 »

Keep those friends in their boxes otherwise you have lost a good $100-150

pricetag!!!
Reece Stephenson-Preston
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Nope. Set them free and enjoy playing with your toys!
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Re: Keep them in the boxes

Post by Roadbuster »

R33c3 wrote:Keep those friends in their boxes otherwise you have lost a good $100-150
That's a blanket statement. $100-$150 on who, which toy(s)? About the only toys worth keeping MISB would be G1. Anything else and you're talking about a microscopic/miniscule return due to the massive production numbers. I agree with Jose, open them up and play with them. :P
skywarp408
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by skywarp408 »

Just do what makes you happy. If I had my way i would have one sealed, one mib and one loose
PETER IS GOD!Image
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

skywarp408 wrote:Just do what makes you happy. If I had my way i would have one sealed, one mib and one loose
The newer stuff if it comes in a nice box, I'll usually open it because I can always stick it back in the box. But if it comes on a blister pack, which a lot do, I find myself not wanting to open those most of the time.
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

I open blister packs. The figure has no real value and even if the $15 blister was worth $100 in 20 years its simply too hard to keep them nice that long. There are far easier ways to make $100 than 20 years of storage.

And what good is a transformer if you cannot transform it? You might as well just hand a photo as hang a blister pack.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I'm not in it to make money. That's where you have me mistaken....The presentation is much nicer on a blister pack plus dusting a loose toy is a pain in the ass when compared to just wiping off the top of a blister pack. When you remove the blister pack you're either going to take some of the artwork with it, or you're going to have to take a razor and slice into the plastic itself and have a heck of a time getting the toy out. It's never been about the money and while I might lose out on play-value for the time being, once I get the some glass display cases in here I won't have to worry about dusting a ton of loose toys and will probably open a ton of them then. :wink:
skywarp408

Post by skywarp408 »

I value everyones right to do what they feel is right with collecting.

They new stuff, like Generations, I no longer keep the bubble attached to the cardback. I cut it off and throw it away, but the cardback I keep since it takes up no room.

As for the old stuff... I always keep the packaging or buy them that way if i can. I want them to look exactly like they did when I saw them in the store aisles in the 1980's. Im a packaging junkie.
PETER IS GOD!Image
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

I'm not in it to make money. That's where you have me mistaken....The presentation is much nicer on a blister pack plus dusting a loose toy is a pain in the ass when compared to just wiping off the top of a blister pack. When you remove the blister pack you're either going to take some of the artwork with it, or you're going to have to take a razor and slice into the plastic itself and have a heck of a time getting the toy out.
The money issue was more about the initial post.

Yeah, the ease of dusting is a big plus to to leaving it in the pack. Its hours and hours of cleaning to do all my collections. I also collect gundam, macross, armored core, dragons... VERY time consuming. I keep looking for enclosed display cases but I can't pay hundreds each for them. And I would need a lot of them.

Cutting it open isn't an issue for me. I do a lot of paper modeling so slicing the blister off flush is second nature for me.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

I haven't bought a new figure in a blister pack in a while.

This trick used to work on Christmas gifts.

Take a pot of water. Make it piping hot until it is in full boil. Take it off the heat and place it on another burner. Take your blister pack and carefully hold it over the steam shooting off of the pot of water. And, steam the glue off of the box. I've never tried it for blister packs so I don't know if it works. Perhaps someone can try it on a blister pack w/ low value.

I used to steam the tape off of Christmas gifts. Learned it from my dad.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

skywarp408 wrote:The new stuff, like Generations, I no longer keep the bubble attached to the cardback. I cut it off and throw it away, but the cardback I keep since it takes up no room.

As for the old stuff... I always keep the packaging or buy them that way if i can. I want them to look exactly like they did when I saw them in the store aisles in the 1980's. Im a packaging junkie.
That's what I'd ideally like to do with the newer lines I collect. I just keep thinking about all the maintenance involved with displaying loose figures. I've been shopping around for some glass jewelers style cases (off and on) for a few years now. Either they're cheap enough but not nice enough, or vice-versa. :roll: I'm a meter reader so I'm always on the lookout for one as I'm strolling through everyone's yard. Not to mention I always break for yard sales. :lol: Just haven't had any luck yet.
LD2062 wrote:The money issue was more about the initial post.

Yeah, the ease of dusting is a big plus to to leaving it in the pack. Its hours and hours of cleaning to do all my collections. I also collect gundam, macross, armored core, dragons... VERY time consuming. I keep looking for enclosed display cases but I can't pay hundreds each for them. And I would need a lot of them.

Cutting it open isn't an issue for me. I do a lot of paper modeling so slicing the blister off flush is second nature for me.
Ah, ok. Sorry about that! (on the money issue). I just got through dusting everything I have Saturday morning. The loose 25th G.I. Joe collection was the real pain, with all the tiny weapons and all. I also had a M.A.S.K collection to dust, so I feel your pain! Took me about 3-4 hours with no breaks. And cutting the blister off flush with the cardback would make the most sense! *facepalms*
Countdown wrote:This trick used to work on Christmas gifts.

Take a pot of water. Make it piping hot until it is in full boil. Take it off the heat and place it on another burner. Take your blister pack and carefully hold it over the steam shooting off of the pot of water. And, steam the glue off of the box. I've never tried it for blister packs so I don't know if it works. Perhaps someone can try it on a blister pack w/ low value.

I used to steam the tape off of Christmas gifts. Learned it from my dad.
Hmmm...the key to that would be the distance you're holding the toy away from the steaming pot. Too close and you're melting the bubble. Judging from all the dented bubbles now-a-days, I'd say they're getting thinner too. Too far away and you're going to have to reheat the pot and start over. lol. Sounds like it would work, though! :wink:
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

I'd also worry about steam warping the card.
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I always open stuff. The really rare japanese moby dick resident evil figures are super expensive, but I open them every time I get one (which is rare).
R.I.P. Menasor
NovaGhostii
Noob

Post by NovaGhostii »

I also collect ball jointed dolls, and this is a huge topic in that hobby as well. The things can cost well over $1500, but are most note-worthy for being super-posable and fun to play with.

I take the same stance in both hobbies. I simply don't buy anything I'd be afraid to play with. Just as my priciest doll was just under $300, I can't bring myself to buy MP Megatron. Expensive and fragile, I'd be scared to open him, and I feel like that's a waste.

It is totally personal preference though. I know some people who love having their figures up on the shelf in a box. Personally, I prefer to make silly scenes and put those in my room.
F18Starscream
Powermaster

Post by F18Starscream »

Most of my collection is loose. Except the older stuff which I have in box etc...
R33c3
Decoy

Post by R33c3 »

My I'm Sorry I only meant that if you keep toys in there boxes they are worth more then they originally were this man in NZ had sold his Cassettebots and I was amazed the price was $2,500 for a set of four mint condition cassettes with weapons
Reece Stephenson-Preston