3D Scanning & Printing

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

3D Scanning & Printing

Post by LD2062 »

I know that 3D printers are dropping in price. And today I saw this video for a 3d scanner.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/04/photon ... e-objects/

And it occurs to me this will be great for missing accessories and broken parts once it goes main stream.
trance
Site Admin

Re: 3D Scanning & Printing

Post by trance »

LD2062 wrote:I know that 3D printers are dropping in price. And today I saw this video for a 3d scanner.

And it occurs to me this will be great for missing accessories and broken parts once it goes main stream.
So what's your take on the argument that high quality 2D printers and scanners have been around for a really long time now, and are very cheap, yet people still prefer factory-made stuff (boxes, instruction books, etc.)?
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Re: 3D Scanning & Printing

Post by Ultra Magnus »

trance wrote:
LD2062 wrote:I know that 3D printers are dropping in price. And today I saw this video for a 3d scanner.

So what's your take on the argument that high quality 2D printers and scanners have been around for a really long time now, and are very cheap, yet people still prefer factory-made stuff (boxes, instruction books, etc.)?
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

the 3d ink is cheaper than the 2d ink? lol
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Compared to the price of Jetfire's gun clip? You doggone skippy it is a less expensive process.

Remember the cost of materials versus one another is not what you rate. It is the cost of what you are trying to replicate versus the materials.

You can easily get that half inch piece of plastic replicated for less than $25. What you cannot do is replicate a 200 page paperback book for $5 or less what a standard 2-d printer.
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

Besides its orders of magnitude harder to scan and print boxes or books than the videos (I have neither 3d scanner or printer to actually try) make it look.

To replicate a box requires printers that can print on cardboard and something to cut cardboard and then assemble it. Normal home printers and cutters cannot do either of those for something as large as a box. Nor is printable cardboard box sheets something most of us know where to buy.

And I'm not arguing people would prefer printed parts. I'm sure the genuine parts are preferred. But many people cannot afford them, or even find them if they are willing to pay the cost.

Just like the boxes. People do prefer the originals. But there is brisk business in repro boxes, and stickers.
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Bah, I used to operate a $300k 3D printer in my materials lab. I think they can be used for inner parts repair that don't need much in the way of resolution, things you can't see on the outside, like an Omega leg cog. The 3D printer I used is probably equivalent quality-wise to what will be available by 2020 at a reasonable consumer price. Higher resolution maybe 10 years after that.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

LD2062 wrote:To replicate a box requires printers that can print on cardboard and something to cut cardboard and then assemble it. Normal home printers and cutters cannot do either of those for something as large as a box. Nor is printable cardboard box sheets something most of us know where to buy.

And I'm not arguing people would prefer printed parts. I'm sure the genuine parts are preferred. But many people cannot afford them, or even find them if they are willing to pay the cost.

Just like the boxes. People do prefer the originals. But there is brisk business in repro boxes, and stickers.
I'd be all over some repro boxes for my loose G1's! Other than buying KO's, I wouldn't have any idea where to go looking for any though. And then I'd be stuck with a toy I didn't want or need and wouldn't be able to get rid of, other than giving it away.....

As far as original G1 boxes go, they're just priced too high (understandable, though) for my taste and with my expendable budget going mostly towards the 3rd party market, $45-$55 deluxe G1 boxes (not counting what I'd have to spend at www.bubbleformer.com for the bubbles/inserts) are just out of the question.

As far as 3D printing for plastic accessories goes....I only own 1 repro G1 part and that was Fast Tracks little, tiny gun for G1 Scorponok. I refused to pay scalper rates ($100+) for that lone gun and went with a repro instead.

There are some outstanding custom made kits (for both official and 3rd party) for Transformers over on www.shapeways.com! Probably the best site to find 3D plastic printing excellence in the Transformers market. Just scroll to the bottom and click on the Transformers link... I've bought a few kits off of that site and the quality and craftsmanship from the sellers I've dealt with has been phenomenal!

If you've never been to Shapeways, you're really missing out! The weapons section alone to enhance your Classics, Universe, Generations figures is worth checking out if nothing else!
Derek-Metalz
Targetmaster

Post by Derek-Metalz »

I've been teaching myself a little 3d modeling.
Just playing around and doing some game mods.
But also in the back of my mind think how cool it will be to be able to print these models off. Not so much for replica parts more so custom models. But I guess in the long run if you can then get 3d scanners it's going to be a lot quicker than trying to model from scratch. The technology will probably go down the same path as current 2d printers though where the printers are cheap and sold at a loss but they sting you on the ink.

Thought I'd share a little model I'm working on still work in progress and it's my learning project but starting to represent the actual car I'm copying.
These are Known as Holdens here in Australia most commonly know as a HQ Kingswood among other various model names.
But some of you Americans might recognize them to have that Chevy look I believe they where called EL camino's
But Hopefully this is Interesting.
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

trance wrote:Bah, I used to operate a $300k 3D printer in my materials lab. I think they can be used for inner parts repair that don't need much in the way of resolution, things you can't see on the outside, like an Omega leg cog. The 3D printer I used is probably equivalent quality-wise to what will be available by 2020 at a reasonable consumer price. Higher resolution maybe 10 years after that.
Ah, see thats something I cannot tell from the videos. Without personal experience I just have no idea what the things are actually capable of. I guess I just have to hope they catch on enough that they improve faster than that time frame.