Help with, Is this StarScream Fake KO

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Derek-Metalz
Targetmaster

Help with, Is this StarScream Fake KO

Post by Derek-Metalz »

Hi Guys,

I've done plenty of looking around the web on this but would love to throw it out for discussion. I was just in some negotiations for a G1 StarScream and I had alarm bells go off about it and the seller. I have walked away from the deal now but would like to get more info on them cause I would like to purchase or Acquire one in the near distant future. I have recently acquired one that I believe to be a fake as well so I'm really trying to work out all the nitty gritty details about them. I'm 99.9% sure the one I have is Fake due mostly to the dodgy red paint on it, Which would be a tell tail sign. Also the lack of a date stamp on the left leg. It seems that some early releases didn't have this stamp so I guess that's where the .01% comes in.
Aside from that I'll share the pictures on the one I was in discussions about buying. Aside from the alarm bells I was getting in my discussions with this person the pictures aren't really clear and it would I guess be great if anyone can pick it from them.
There is no rub sticker which was my first thing. I also could not get out of them whether or not this guy had the stamp on his leg.
I'll leave it there though here's the pictures would love more reference info on the fakes though just to fill my head with more knowledge on it.

But Hopefully this is Interesting.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

I May be wrong, but that Starscream looks legit to me. Hopefully one of our resident experts will have more info on him than I do. :)

Another great source of info regarding all kinds of G1 Transformers variations and KO's can be found here:
http://www.fredsworkshop.com/frames.html
Just click "The Complete Guide to Transformers Variations" on the sidebar to the left and that should take you to the right section. Good luck!
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I think youre right Minerva. That looks pretty spot on.
R.I.P. Menasor
Derek-Metalz
Targetmaster

Post by Derek-Metalz »

Cool I don't mind being wrong. I think I made the right choice avoiding the seller anyway.

Thanks for that link Minevra I had stumbled across that site. But I think it was outdated cause all the links where dead and no pictures.
But that link worked a treat. But talk about variant overload LOL very useful stuff though Thanks.

I might take some photos of the jets I have cause I'm now starting to think they could be legit also. They don't have stamps is pretty much my main reason for thinking they are fakes. But everything seems to be as it should otherwise.

The main thing that put me off to the above one being fake was just the sellers dodging of my questions and seemed to be trying to mislead me. And not willing to provide better pictures. I've talked to someone else though that had problems with them also so glad I backed out anyway. it wasn't that good a deal. Don't worry though it wasn't here that this has happened.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

It's legit. The very early Seekers had no stamps, and shouldn't have a rubsign. As a matter of fact, lacking a rubsign is no proof of anything, since it can be removed. As for the paint, you have to inspect it closely, as it could be touched up. It's your call if you can live with it or not, but have in mind a Transformer can be easily disassembled and any used toy could have an after market paint job.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Derek-Metalz
Targetmaster

Post by Derek-Metalz »

Thanks Jose. I didn't really consider the paint being touched up.

Here's some pictures of the Jets I have that I thought where KO's
After my resent learning's I think Skywarp and Thundercracker are good. But I still have my doubts about StarScream. Could just be the fact that the paint was touched up. But something else I read where that these KO jets where tight in some joints but loose in others. You can see how starscream doesn't lock into place in robot mode. I know this can happen with wear and tear but the actual body seems looser than it should be compared with other jets I have. Where as the arms are very tight to fold back in for jet mode. Overall I just had a bad vibe about him the moment I took him out of the package I received. They did come from an honest person though. And I don't hold it against them but blame myself. But again I could be wrong and they could be Legit. Very interested to hear every ones thoughts.

Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Nathan, I still don't see anything wrong with this Starscream (besides the chance it could have been taken apart, and reassembled). The swinging cockpit is a common fault on playworn seekers. It can be fixed easily by either removing the full cokpit (you have to hammer the axle with a nail against the point, not the head), putting paper around it, and reassembling, or by removing the screw on the side of the cockpit, opening both sides, and placing a piece of paper on the the point of it (where the canopy closes), therefore that tip will "snap on" the hip (metal part). I am all against using superglue, because it melts the plastic and the change has no way to be reversed, and personally I've had unpleasing experiences by asking for a tight joints figure, and getting a sloppy superglued one.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Derek-Metalz
Targetmaster

Post by Derek-Metalz »

Great to learn that there not KO's Starscream can rejoin his friends now :) I took your advice Jose on the repairs but I used a slightly different approach. I just backed off the cockpit screw about a turn and a half just so it wasn't so counter sunk in there. Now holds in place nice. This could over time cause him to get a little scratched but he his semi retired from major duties, so he doesn't really see that much action nowadays. I'm guessing though this is why they revised the design and fitted later versions with the washer. Great info though Thanks again Greatly Appreciated.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Another trick that I use personally, is to put the landing gear in the cockpit,with the tab by the pilot's feet, and the metal dumbbell wheel by the pilot's head. When you stand the figure up, the gear will tip forward and lean against the canopy, and the metal wheel will help balance the entire nose fuselage section. Also, a place to put those pesky landing gears!
Derek-Metalz
Targetmaster

Post by Derek-Metalz »

Time Traveller wrote:Another trick that I use personally, is to put the landing gear in the cockpit,with the tab by the pilot's feet, and the metal dumbbell wheel by the pilot's head. When you stand the figure up, the gear will tip forward and lean against the canopy, and the metal wheel will help balance the entire nose fuselage section. Also, a place to put those pesky landing gears!
It's funny you say that because just after I fixed it. I sat him there and thought I wonder if the landing gear fits inside the cockpit what a cool place that would be to store them. And of course it does. I also thought hmmm I wonder if that would have made it more balanced and stay in place. So thanks for confirming that without me having to tighten the screw again. :) I also found just leaving the heads vertical holds them in place too. But does not look as good ;)
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I love it when you find a new thing out on an old toy. For years, I had no idea you could extend the legs on roadbuster. :?
R.I.P. Menasor