G1 Springer Triple Changer - how to spot the original?

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

benjie101
Noob

G1 Springer Triple Changer - how to spot the original?

Post by benjie101 »

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I have two G1 Springer models, the slightly older looking one is just marked as Hasbro 1986, the newer looking one with all the stickers intact is marked Hasbro 1986 Takara 1986 Japan.

Is one of these maybe a reissue?

Thanks.
benjie101
Noob

Re: G1 Springer Triple Changer - how to spot the original?

Post by benjie101 »

[quote="benjie101"]Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I have two G1 Springer models, the slightly older looking one is just marked as Hasbro 1986, the newer looking one with all the stickers intact is marked Hasbro 1986 Takara 1986 Japan.

Is one of these maybe a reissue?

Thanks.[/quote]

I notice there was a 1986 release and a 1991 release, might that be the answer?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Hi Benjie, welcome to TFL!
There are a few possibilities for your Springers. He was initially released in 1986. There were two versions at that time... The earlier production had a metal chestplate/hood. The later part of the year, many transformers were "cheapened", and the hood on Springer became a plastic piece. I am not sure of the difference in markings, if any.
Springer was re-released in Europe in 1991 as a "Classics" toy in a variant box (which was mostly gold in color), but as far as I understand, the toy was the same as the plastic chest variant.

My concern however, is the chinese counterfeit version that has been floating around.

http://highendtfs.com/images/springer.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't know what the differences are on the toy itself, but you might be able to find out with a little more research. Just be aware! If the toy looks "brand new", it may not be a Hasbro/Takara original.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Welcome to TFL!
Time Traveller wrote:Just be aware! If the toy looks "brand new", it may not be a Hasbro/Takara original.
IIRC, Springer was never reissued by Hasbro/Takara in their Commemorative Line but the figure was KO'ed by KOToys. If one of them looks brand new with virtually no wear, then there's a strong possibility of it being a knock off.
benjie101
Noob

Post by benjie101 »

Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies.
Perceptor
Alternator

Re: G1 Springer Triple Changer - how to spot the original?

Post by Perceptor »

If the toy looks "brand new", it may not be a Hasbro/Takara original.
Ah... there's the rub. It has to beat up enough that it doesn't look fake, but not so beat up that it loses value! We want them in good condition... but not TOO good! :lol: Do any other collectors have to deal with this?! :roll:
"One's ultimate truth lies in one's molecular structure."