Cleaning advice

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

duttry98
Gestalt Team Leader

Cleaning advice

Post by duttry98 »

I have a Top Spin, Twin Twist, & some Constructicons that could use a bath. Any advice on good safe cleaning methods? I was thinking a toothbrush and some computer duster would work, would like to know what methods others use.
Thanks, Jeremy
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Re: Cleaning advice

Post by LD2062 »

Pledge brand dust wipes work for me. I haven't seen them hurt anything.

Goo Gone works well to clean off glue residue. Also good for taking off like paint transfer marks. BUT it can hurt paint/chrome/stickers. I wet a q-tip with it then use the q-tip to clean the figure. Depending on how long you use it and how hard to push effects how quickly you damage the paint/chrome/stickers.

isopropyl alcohol is good for cleaning anything that might be food or dirt stuff. I use a q-tip for it too. BUT it will damage stickers/chrome/paint MUCH quicker. ESPECIALLY those foil stickers. It can take all the graphics off foil stickers just buy getting them wet. It takes off chrome quick too. You do get some time on paint, but it will that off too.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I'd start with water and a toothbrush. The brush will get in the cracks and work the dirt loose. Try that first. Remember, though, that your Jumpstarter stickers are paper-based. Don't let them soak up water. If that doesn't work, then try spot cleaning with a chemical. I'd stay away from isopropyl because it is extra dangerous to stickers/paint/chrome, and go with a milder cleaner or soap.
duttry98
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by duttry98 »

Thanks all for the great advice! Why can't all public forums be this polite and helpfull :D .
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Because there's only one Transformerland!