Y'all are nutty!

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Perceptor
Alternator

Y'all are nutty!

Post by Perceptor »

JK... Seeing as how I'm one of "y'all"!

But seriously, as crazy a collector as I feel like sometimes - if for no other reason than I'm a 40 year old man who's spending time, money and emotional energy on toys - I've got to share a couple of eBay stories from the last couple of days that I'm totally blown away by...

...and that have me saying, "Thank god for crazy collectors!"

FIRST CASE: JETFIRE

Back in 2008, I paid $99, including shipping, for a complete, G1 Jetifre, loose, in pretty good condition - slight yellowing in a couple places, but no damage, and tight joints. Maybe... C7 overall, conservatively? Seeing as how TFL's got him $128.38, I'd say I was pretty happy with that deal. BUT... That lot also came with the FOAM PACKAGING that he shipped in. Not the BOX, mind you, just the FOAM. So this past week I put the foam (which I neither need nor wanted in the first place) up on eBay.

It sold for $36! :o So net-and-net that means that I basically paid $63 for my COMPLETE G1 JETFIRE! Less than half TFL's average price!

SECOND CASE: SUPERION

Just a couple of week ago, I picked up a G1 Superion. (I posted some pics.) I paid $116, including shipping. Now this set was in GREAT shape - C9.5 easily. And it's only after going over each piece very closely that I begin to see SOME of the tell-tale signs of age that alleviate my concerns of it having been a KO. And TFL's got him at $115.72, so... fair price. Great deal, actually, IMHO...

BECAUSE: this lot came in the box, with the foam! Now, the box is beat to hell. It's in TERRIBLE condition. But I figured "why not?" and currently have the BOX, with the packing foam, up on eBay.

At the time of my writing this post, it is going for $61, :shock: and there is still four hours left in the auction! And I posted SEVERAL pictures showing close ups of all the damage of this box! $61! I'm stunned. So... net-and-net I've paid, at most, $55 for a complete, G1 Superion, in near mint condition! 8)

$61 for a box, and $36 for FOAM.

Like I said "y'all are nutty!"

...and THANK GOD you are! :lol:

(And, yes, I'm still one of you!) :twisted:
"One's ultimate truth lies in one's molecular structure."
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Re: Y'all are nutty!

Post by Time Traveller »

I think what you are experiencing here is the at-bids phenomenon. More and more people are avoiding buying items through bidding, due to the potential disappointment. I think it probably started back when "sniping" was still effective (i.e. not something everyone could do), and people got discouraged because they couldn't win items for a decent price. Now more people move to the "Buy It Now" option, and are willing to pay more for it. No waiting, no losing, you just get the stuff you want. Therefore, if you're willing to put up with the bidding process, (on the items which I, Time Traveller, already own) you can get a decent deal. Also, it's sad, but Transformers are worth more split up than complete. I remember sellers that would buy completes, and part them out for a profit. This obviously applies to what you're doing with the packaging.

Noto bene: If it is an item I'm trying to obtain, expect prices to be through-the-roof. Once I've acquired one, expect the values to inexplicably drop :)

Keep up the great finds!
skywarp408
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by skywarp408 »

Yeah, major shift in Ebay buy-it-nows over the last few years. About 90% of Transformers on Ebay are buy-it-now. I've been buying and selling on Ebay since 1999 and it has changed dramatically.

I remember the good old days of waking up at 2 in the morning to bid on some sealed g1 figures. :oops:
PETER IS GOD!Image
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Getting up in the middle of the night to bid on eBay items? Yeah, that definitely brings back memories. Glad to know I'm not the only one! :lol:
duttry98
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by duttry98 »

Minerva wrote:Getting up in the middle of the night to bid on eBay items? Yeah, that definitely brings back memories. Glad to know I'm not the only one! :lol:
Ha I still do it..... mostly on the weekend tho.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

You know you're dedicated when....
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

I moved on quickly to snipe software. That, after one time I went on a bidding war, and almost spend more than I had, which would have meant to spend one or two days with no food, but with a hell of a toy. Not something I would do today... Snipe them all!
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl