The Five Transformers Devastators (sort of)

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

The Five Transformers Devastators (sort of)

Post by Time Traveller »

In another thread, we got on the topic of comparing G1 toys and their G2 counterparts, particularly the Constructicons. As licensed by Hasbro, there are FIVE distinct, legitimate Devastators.

Generation 1- "constructicon green", with dark purple highlights and accessories. Rubsigns. The most common by far, which we all know and love well. 1985, sold in nearly all Hasbro and Takara markets unchanged. I think the Takara one might have stronger springs in the forearms and Mixmaster's head.

Generation 1 (Ceji Joustra)- Dark yellow, with dark purple highlights and accessories. Rubsigns. You don't have this one, believe me. Sold by Ceji Joustra in France under license by Hasbro, this is a legitimate G1 Devastator. The yellow primary color is much darker and more saturated than the G2s, and being G1, it has rubsigns in the usual places. Excepting this, it is identical in all ways to the standard G1. (except for being unobtainium)

Generation 1 (Europe)- Light yellow, dark purple, gray accents. This release, while looking quite similar to the G2 issue, is actually late (1992) European G1. The figures were single-packed with no names or bios, including only their pistol accessories. The yellow is shared by G2 constructicons, and the purple by the G1s. However, these featured a gray accent piece in most cases: the cab roof for Bonecrusher and Scrapper, dipper and bucket for Scavenger, and the extendable inner crane boom for Hook. Mixmaster must be discerned by the dark purple leg piece, as his US G2 chestplate is still painted dark purple. Long Haul is distinguished by dark purple arms. This issue lacks both rubsigns and the "Decepticon" tampo on actual G2s. Interestingly, the constructicons featured on the back of US G2 cardbackers are Euro G1s, seen clearly by the gray parts on the photo of Devastator. To recreate the Devastator, you'd need a mix of G1 and G2 combiner parts- and a hip connecter swapped with G1 purple and G2 yellow, as well as either dark-painted non-trigger arms, or yellow-painted trigger arms. (or maybe Joustra arms, haha)

Generation 2 (mass release)- Light yellow, light purple. Finally, the one you probably have seen. He's all-yellow with a light shade of purple for the accents. The stickers are largely the same, but now every figure has a G2 'con symbol and the word "Decepticon" tampoed on it in purple. The trigger mechanisms have been removed from the Devastator forearms and Mixmaster's head, and replaced with smooth-pinned accessories that are held in by friction. Mixmaster loses his single-barreled head blaster. Interstingly, the painted chestplates of Mixmaster and Hook remain dark, but all other purple parts are lighter, as is the base plastic under any chrome.

Generation 2 (KayBee toys)- Bright orange, light purple. This store-exclusive variant is the same as the mass release G2 in all ways, except that the yellow has been replaced by blaze orange (including accessories). He's fairly rare, pretty expensive, and I remember passing him up in stores as a kid. Drat!

Anything else is a KNOCKOFF! (or Diaclone, or Diaclone recolor, or...)

PICTURES FORTHCOMING: Unfortunately, the only complete sets I have handy are G1 and G2 mass release, but we have samples of all five to help put a face to the name.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Re: The Five Transformers Devastators (sort of)

Post by Jose »

You have to add the G1 Pre-Production Devastator, known by nearly everyone, but probably overlooked:

Black forearms, gray barrel for Mixmaster. Can't tell for their copy stamps...
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
duttry98
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by duttry98 »

Devastator is the god of all combiners!!!!
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

While G1 Devs is great (own him) this is my favorite Devastator in my collection. :P
duttry98
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by duttry98 »

Wow what devastator is that ^^^ !?!?!??
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

duttry98 wrote:Wow what devastator is that ^^^ !?!?!??
TFC Toys Hercules
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Thanks for pointing that out, Jose! You could create that one with the gray barrel of a Euro G1 Mixmaster, and some Diaclone (or KO thereof) black forearms. It's interesting that the gray barrel wasn't consistent to the lone Mixmaster shown in the same image... I guess product and colors do vary!
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

I've never known what the criteria is to determine which is going to be the official color, and why they drop other choices. I like more the black forearms, and Mixmaster looks better with a gray drum. All in green is a bit dull.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl