TRU Platinum Editions

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

duttry98
Gestalt Team Leader

TRU Platinum Editions

Post by duttry98 »

Thoughts??? I was just in TRU and saw the Optimus & Starscream, on the fence with them. OP is really cool till ya get to that crazy transparent trailer. And as for Starscream, what's with the crazy crown and the spaceship looking vehicle mode? Saw the Ultra Magnus to but he's kinda "odd" lookin to me. Anyone got them and out of the box yet?
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Re: TRU Platinum Editions

Post by Roadbuster »

That's the Armada version Starscream. No appeal for me, personally. And as far as the YOTH Optimus Prime goes, I suggest just going after MP-10 Optimus Prime. Not only is he screen accurate (colors), but his trailer is too. I think you can still pick up the Takara MP-10 for around $299.
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

The appeal to YOTH Optimus, to me, is that you can pick it up for $130, and then either paint the trailer (simple enough design) or customize, or just have a great piece that is a little off for a crap load less cash.

The Starscream is also a great piece for those that missed him 8 years ago.

As for my namesake, sometimes Hasbro will just throw any piece of crap in a "limited edition" package and call it a day. If they were seriously going to chose that mold, they should have waited until the stores around me had actually been able to sell out of the original piece. Not the best choice.

The Grimlock 2 pack is nice, if you are desperate for something CHUG style for a Bruticus, but I do not care for the pieces they decided to recolor for this set. I didn't even like the mold for the shuttle and tank enough to grab them as the Jumpstarters, so this left me a but cold. I will wait for the next attempt.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Ultra Magnus wrote:The appeal to YOTH Optimus, to me, is that you can pick it up for $130, and then either paint the trailer (simple enough design) or customize, or just have a great piece that is a little off for a crap load less cash.
If you're going to attempt to paint over the clear plastic, that is that trailer and have it look presentable, then you're braver than I am. :lol: I've went over this at length with friends that own YOTH Prime and covering it with a solid gray sticker set and then adding the Reprolabels for the stripe and inner trailer decals would be the better way to go.

And MP-10 was only $120 when it first came out. I actually don't mind the gold trim on this YOTH version, but WHY did they have to make his arms and entire abdomen black!! :roll: And I don't know what they were thinking with the trailer..
duttry98
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by duttry98 »

Roadbuster wrote: covering it with a solid gray sticker set and then adding the Reprolabels for the stripe and inner trailer decals would be the better way to go.
This isn't a bad idea. Vynil wrapping it would be the way to go. Problem is tho is finding a thin enough vynil that's durable and pliable enough to get the nooks and crannys. Vaccum wrap could work to. Surface prep is key to a project like this.
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Roadbuster wrote: If you're going to attempt to paint over the clear plastic, that is that trailer and have it look presentable, then you're braver than I am. :lol: I've went over this at length with friends that own YOTH Prime and covering it with a solid gray sticker set and then adding the Reprolabels for the stripe and inner trailer decals would be the better way to go.
I have not personally handled this piece, but in a situation such as this I would disassemble, spray paint in light even coats, and then reassemble (after detailing). At least, that is my first instinct.

This design it simple enough that the stripes would basically paint themselves, either by hand or taped off and sprayed. With the grey layer already down, that would easily be surface the blue would stick to.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

YOTH Starscream is a recolor of the Cybertron Supreme class starscream at twice the price. That said, the design is exactly a huge upscale of a Voyager class mold. That means he's big, but only a little more complex than a Legends / Cyberverse Legion figure. I'd suggest going for the Cybertron original if you want one. If you love the mold, then dive for the YOTH. I think they'll be around for a while.

YOTH Prime I'm a little more mixed about. I love the mold, don't get me wrong. I have a hard time with the clear trailer. Like others said above, it's a way to get an MP-10 at 1/3 the price. Sure, the TRU MP-10 was $120... if you saw one. I don't personally know any collector that bought theirs from TRU. In my eyes, it was an "ebay exclusive". Every town had a scalper who put them on ebay the day they hit store shelves, and the price was already $280+ when TRU still had a shelf sticker for him. YOTH Prime doesn't seem to have that problem, so I'd say get one and enjoy him. I just wish they'd have included Roller!