When time began...

Discuss transformers cartoons, comics, movies, upcoming TF events and conventions, etc.

Moderators: Time Traveller, Kup

sto_vo_kor_2000
Alternator

Post by sto_vo_kor_2000 »

Ultra Magnus wrote:They added the next two in the series to it as well.
I'm guessing you dont live in the U.S. then or you didnt watch them when they first aired.

For the most part the first episode "More then meets the eye part 1" aired in the U.S. on September 17, 1984 part 2 on the 18 and part 3 on the 19.

And depending where in the U.S. the show was airing the next episode "Transport to Oblivion" did not air till 17 or 18 days later on October 6 or 7, 1984 on its weekend time slot.Some networks aired it on Saturday others on Sunday.

The one after that "Roll for It " did not air till Oct 13 or 14 1984.
Today is a good day to die.....but the day is not yet over!
Shrapnel
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Shrapnel »

I was about 6 when it all began. I remember drooling over the toys I didn't have that my friends would bring to school. And drooling over my cousin's collection. He was an only child and had just about every Star Wars and Transformer toy. I was so jealous.
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

I guess that I am in a test market then, as the was a one week period were Transformers was shown in April of 84. It was the first five episodes of the series.
sto_vo_kor_2000
Alternator

Ultra Magnus wrote:I guess that I am in a test market then, as the was a one week period were Transformers was shown in April of 84. It was the first five episodes of the series.
I guess its possible that you live in a test market but April of 84 is pretty much out of the question.

For one very big reason.......The first episode of the Transformers cartoon did not get produced or animated till late April or early May of 1984.The cartoon got the "green light" to go into production after the first issue of the Marvel Comic Transformers limited serries his the streets.

The first issue of Transformers from Marvel comic was released in April of 1984.

Now I'm not sure where you live but the few test markets that got the TF cartoon did get the first 3 episodes between July 4th holyday and the labor day weekend of 1984.But episodes 4 and 5 did not go into production till just before or early August of 1984.

In case your wondering why I know all this crap its because I worked as an intern for a short while at Marvels NYC office in the file room back in the 90's .
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Answer me this, and that might help the case of my memory, then. When did the second GI Joe Mini-series come out (the one about the Weather Dominator).
sto_vo_kor_2000
Alternator

Ultra Magnus wrote:Answer me this, and that might help the case of my memory, then. When did the second GI Joe Mini-series come out (the one about the Weather Dominator).
Truth be told I may be the only Transformers fan in existance that hates G.I.Joe cartoon so I really cant answer that question with 100% certainity.

But I just did some online research on a few different G.I.Joe fan websites ,Wiki and TV.com and they all have September of 1984 at the original air date of the 2nd GI Joe Mini-series.

Here are some links:

http://www.tv.com/g.i.-joe-1985/the-rev ... ep_title;5
http://joes.propadeutic.com/1984.html#Cartoons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe:_ ... _series%29
http://epguides.com/GIJoe/

So barring the possibility of early test marked viewing it first aired in September of 1984....the week after the Labor day weekend.

Which as I noted earlier was around the time of that the first episode of the Transformers aired.

Which also fits the marketing policies of the time......most new cartoons tied to toylines would get their starts in the days after summer ,"Labor day", and the "back to school rush".

The marketing stratagie [spelling?] being that kids could convince their parents to buy them a few new toys while buying back to school stuff.I know it worked in my case when I was a kid. :D

Now the G.I. Joe mini was a five parter so maybe you got the numbers of both serries transposed?????

Or maybe you saw all five in late October 1984 when, in a many of markets, the networks running Transformers ran the first 5 episodes as part of their "Halloween week" line up????

The only think "Transformers" related to come out around April of 1984 besides some of the toys was the comic books.
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

okay, I give :D

We will just record this as my one memory slip of 2008. ;)
sto_vo_kor_2000
Alternator

Ultra Magnus wrote:okay, I give :D

We will just record this as my one memory slip of 2008. ;)
Dont worry.........I dont remember the better half of the 90's myself :P
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

whoa thats a whole lotta info.....crazy! I was 1 so that counts me out. but I got the reruns in late 80s.... soooooooooooooo awesome every day before school... TRANSFORMERS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Blurr
Targetmaster

Post by Blurr »

i was just a glint in the milkmans eye in '84, but my brothers gave me all their old TF toys and they were watching it when i was little(er)
Elita-One
Powermaster

Post by Elita-One »

i did ballet when i was a little girl

hehehehehehe
:lol:
A FORCE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THEIR LEADER!!!
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

Elita-One wrote:i did ballet when i was a little girl

hehehehehehe
:lol:

Can somone say subject change lol

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
Menasor
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

subject

Post by Menasor »

oh lets see, how about those new botcon figures those look great
Elita-One
Powermaster

Post by Elita-One »

My point was that i missed out on the beginning of TF time and i am saying i wasn't born so while you people who weeerrreeee watching it, i was probably pointing my toes :D
primeheiress
Minispy

Post by primeheiress »

hahaha..elita-one is pointing the shoes. but i, when the transformer comic launch at apr 84, i'm still on mom stomach :lol: :lol: . and when tv serial launch at sept 84,i'm still 3months. i can't see the premiere.

i'm jealous to u :lol: :lol:
" We should to sacrifice to our unity and..Earth "
Elita-One
Powermaster

Post by Elita-One »

nice one...yeah i didn't get into it until my brothers watched it, but even then i didn't love them the way i do now
Lennyluck

Post by Lennyluck »

Would have been about 4 at the time...
Hot Shot
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Hot Shot »

Wow.....I was 14 when Transformers hit the scene. Got to watch them in there original airing.Image

You guys make me feel Old :?
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

you sir are old then LOL j/k :lol:

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
BDixonarts
Comic Colorist

Post by BDixonarts »

I was 11 when it first came out, and now i feel old lol
sig art comes from the Charticon Print I colored. Line art is by Brian Shearer, inks by John Wycough and colors by me