G1 coming back to tv?

Discuss transformers cartoons, comics, movies, upcoming TF events and conventions, etc.

Moderators: Time Traveller, Kup

BDixonarts
Comic Colorist

G1 coming back to tv?

Post by BDixonarts »

Just found this info on Cybertron.ca. For anyone interested, especially canadians, Teletoon Retro is trying to get the rights to the original G1 Transformers and show the show on the network.

But the list of requests stretches beyond The Smurfs. After starting with a slate of older cartoons from the 60s and 70s, Mr. Cochrane said executives have heard calls for 80s cartoons such as G.I. Joe, Thundercats and Transformers. The network is now scrambling to secure the rights to some or all of these shows.

Go here for the full article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/Business
sig art comes from the Charticon Print I colored. Line art is by Brian Shearer, inks by John Wycough and colors by me
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
It would be great if I some day got to watch the old 80's cartoons on Swedish television. One can only hope!
Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

For those in the U.K. the cartoon channel POP shows the cartoon. Sky channel, 619.
Grimlock
Delicate, Loveable Dinobot

Post by Grimlock »

Yeah but not till 10 pm :( and is that not past the commanders bedtime ? :lol:
Piranacon
Undersea Warrior

Post by Piranacon »

i would love for some of the classics to come back. though my wife would hate it because i would fill tivo with 80s cartoons :lol:

Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

Snarl wrote:Yeah but not till 10 pm :( and is that not past the commanders bedtime ? :lol:
It is actually, I like to be in bed around that time, lol!! Tho I do tend to read for an hour or so. I thought they were on about 7 or 8.
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

They should just make an 80's toons channel on one of the many free hundreds of cheap digital channels... that would be awesome
Jetfire is a robosexual
BDixonarts
Comic Colorist

Post by BDixonarts »

i totally agree!
sig art comes from the Charticon Print I colored. Line art is by Brian Shearer, inks by John Wycough and colors by me
Elita-One
Powermaster

Post by Elita-One »

oh man having the old toons on tv again would be unreal.
i miss watching the classics
A FORCE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THEIR LEADER!!!
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

I'm sure at some point the old G-1 series will be put back on the air. The SciFi Channel used to show Transformers G-1 in the mid 90's in the morning along with Droids and some Gerry Anderson show in "Supermarionation" It wasn't Captain Scarlett or Thunderbirds either it was a space based show.

It seems like Cartoon Network was more in tune with what people wanted to see (and it didn't hurt they owned the rights to) Thundercats, SilverHawks and they also brought in G.I.Joe ARAH and Robotech in prime time them later moved them to Toonami Midnight Run.

If you get Boomerang they show the Smurfs in the mornings along with Captain Planet and all of the old Hanna-Barbera animation standbys. shows the Flintstones and Jetsons grace the daytime while Jonny Quest, Birdman/Galaxy Trio, Moby Dick/Mighty Mightor shows and Space Ghost (both 1966 and 80's incarnations) are flying at night with Justice League Unlimited and Superfriends.

They also show the old Ruby-Spears animation (Centurions, Thundarr the Barbarian) too. I love Boomerang as well because they show all the old wonderful "Groovies" that they used to have on Cartoon Network.

My favorite three :wink: :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4bbajj1tNY8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4qLXEVTROHY&feature=related

This is the best one however, I think Hoyt Curtin would have loved the funky jazzed up re-mix of his orchestration.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wi--4pOYhlU
Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

Yes! Josie & the Pussycats! I remember cringing when they made that live action movie of it a few years ago ... *shudder*. Completely tainted the cartoon.

This is wicked sad/lame/retarded, but when I found THIS on youtube the other week, I was sooooo happy. LOL!
Roar wrote:If you get Boomerang they show the Smurfs in the mornings along with Captain Planet and all of the old Hanna-Barbera animation standbys. shows the Flintstones and Jetsons grace the daytime while Jonny Quest, Birdman/Galaxy Trio, Moby Dick/Mighty Mightor shows and Space Ghost (both 1966 and 80's incarnations) are flying at night with Justice League Unlimited and Superfriends.
I desperately wish we got that channel. We have a satellite dish, and it pisses me off whenever I put the guide channel on and it shows all these great cartoons on Boomerang that I can't actually tune into--it's part of some other subscription package that we don't get. :evil: :cry: Such a tease.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

Yeh those are all the cool cartoons most of us grew up with!
I miss those classics
So I found THIS link.

Plus the LOONEY TUNES!!!!!
They just don't make good toons like that anymore
I got all 5 dvd box sets.
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I bet that must have cost a fortune! I feel your pain Arcee. Im too cheap to buy cable, so I dont get to watch it. I dont watch enough tv though, so i can justify my cheapness with more TF's :D
R.I.P. Menasor
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Arcee wrote:when I found THIS on youtube the other week, I was sooooo happy. LOL!
Oh you are completely correct about the live action Josie movie it wasn't that good. Spice World was Masterpiece Theatre compared to the "Pussycats" movie.

As far as Jem goes, Arcee.......

You are truly truly outrageous! :wink:

It is a shame about the Jem series in that Rhino Video didn't even put the whole thing out. At least that was a gripe I had heard about recently. I think that if a company is going to commit to put out a series they should show the fans who support it some respect and give a whole seires out.

Marv Wolfman wrote some of the screenplays for Jem....... can you believe that?
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

Jem? thats a classic. Im still waiting on them to put Kidd Video on dvd. What is Kidd Video you ask? Check this website out http://retrojunk.com/ and do a search for kidd video. It rocks, plus this website has a boatload of old transformer toy/food/cartoons and intros of many different transformer incarnations of the 80's.
R.I.P. Menasor
Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

Roar wrote:As far as Jem goes, Arcee.......

You are truly truly outrageous! :wink:
LOL ... man, I was hoping someone would make that joke. :lol:

Dino--I'd completely forgotten about Kidd Video until now. That was good stuff.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

JaAm is truly outrageous!
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Elita-One wrote:oh man having the old toons on tv again would be unreal.
Wasnt transformers.com showing the G1 cartoon a couple months back? I think I made a post about it somewhere :)
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

trance wrote:
Elita-One wrote:oh man having the old toons on tv again would be unreal.
Wasnt transformers.com showing the G1 cartoon a couple months back? I think I made a post about it somewhere :)
They sure were! Not only were they showing G-1 episodes but the website also was airing Armada, Cybertron, RID, and a few Beast Wars/Machines episodes and they'd change them every so often.

I couldn't ever download any of the episodes without my computer crashing like a cheerleader on diet pills so I quit trying. :(
SentinelPrime
Autobot Legend

Post by SentinelPrime »

I wish they would revamp the storyline and get some of the original American voices and air the continuation G1 Headmasters Japanse Series. It would be awesome and a whole better than the what the Japanese put out! Very bad voice acting and stupid storylines! Calling characters like Sixshot, "Uncle Sixshot"????

I have the complete DVD bad english dubbed version of the series! Why did Hasbro have to cancel the G1 series right after introducing the US Headmasters three parter? There was still so much potential there for great storylines and character development!