Transformers DVDs

Discuss transformers cartoons, comics, movies, upcoming TF events and conventions, etc.

Moderators: Time Traveller, Kup

SentinelPrime
Autobot Legend

Transformers DVDs

Post by SentinelPrime »

I just purchased this combo Transformers Headmasters/Masterforce/Victory DVDS. The problem is NONE of them will play on any of my DVD Players or my computer. It states they "Regions-Free" but yet they will not play. Has anyone else purchased these? What is a NTCS Format? Appreciate any help! :?

THE PROTECTOR OF CYBERTRON
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Strange that they won't play on any of your DVD players...

NTSC is the analog television system that is/was used in most of the Americas, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Burma, and some Pacific island nations and territories (according to Wikipedia). In Europe we have a version called "PAL".
Hot Rod
Alternator

Post by Hot Rod »

It might not be your DVD player thats the problem your tv will need to be compatible with NTSC as well.
Overlord
City Commander

Post by Overlord »

The problem is that the disks you bought are region free, but they are in PAL format. I"m not a video expert but PAL/NTSC is a difference between colors and interlacing, i believe.

Since you're here in the U.S. you probably bought dvd players that are within NTSC standards. In order to play PAL format DVDs you must have a PAL-compatible DVD player AND a PAL compatible TV, UNLESS you have an HDTV. Regardless of what TV you have though, the one constant is your DVD player must be PAL compatible in order to play it.

This is a map of the world divided up into PAL and NTSC formats.

You can buy a DVD player from walmart for $40 that plays both NTSC and PAL discs. That's all you need, IF you have an HDTV. If you have a regular TV, you cannot watch the discs without ripping the contents to your computer hard drive and reauthoring them to NTSC format, and synchronizing the audio to match the reauthoring since PAL and NTSC record film at different speeds. It sounds technical, and I have been looking for a less complex method for sometime because I want to import some Australian discs that are in PAL format, but still be able to play them on my PS3, which can then upconvert the image.

Search on google.
SentinelPrime
Autobot Legend

Post by SentinelPrime »

Thanks everyone for the great info. I now believe the reason it won't play is that I do not have a PAL DVD player. Mine are all HTSC format. I will go and get one at walmart and let you know if it works. Thanks again!
THE PROTECTOR OF CYBERTRON
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I'm not really up on this whole DVD format business, but i kinda doubt wally-world has PAL players in an NTSC country... it would defeat the purpose. I'm thinking you'll have to get on one of the european ebays...
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

On the bright side, until you *finally* get to watch the episodes, you won't be subjected to the absolutely HORRIBLE dubbing.
Overlord
City Commander

Post by Overlord »

SentinelPrime wrote:Thanks everyone for the great info. I now believe the reason it won't play is that I do not have a PAL DVD player. Mine are all HTSC format. I will go and get one at walmart and let you know if it works. Thanks again!
Sentinel I forgot to tell you that the DVD players are sort of old-ish models. Off the top of my head one is the cyberhome model 300. Your local Walmart may not be carrying them anymore..but check anyway!
Time Traveller wrote:I'm not really up on this whole DVD format business, but i kinda doubt wally-world has PAL players in an NTSC country... it would defeat the purpose. I'm thinking you'll have to get on one of the european ebays...
They sell (or used to sell) players that have both NTSC and PAL capability. They also have players available where you enter a 4 digit code and it hacks the machine and enables you to use both formats. These are not Sonys or Panasonics or name-brands that spring readily to mind, but smaller manufacturers. I've asked this same question sentinel is asking a few years ago in regards to other Japanese non-tf content that I wanted to watch, and so I've had people tell me the solution and alternatives explained before.

So yes, it is possible to watch, and yes, it's as easy as going to walmart (there are no walmarts whatsoever here in nyc so I've never done it firsthand myself, but have seen and used the players in question) or amazon and buying the appropriate player there. Some might require a little four digit code put into the remote...but a little research clears all doubts and explains all
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

I know of a site that tells you how to hack your DVD player.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks