Kup! Grimlock! Slag! ...Anybody!

Discuss transformers cartoons, comics, movies, upcoming TF events and conventions, etc.

Moderators: Time Traveller, Kup

Rhymus
City Commander

Kup! Grimlock! Slag! ...Anybody!

Post by Rhymus »

Many TF characters' weapons have specific names. Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, and Mirage (G1 all) don't just have "guns", or even "laser guns"--they have an ion blaster (although sometimes it's called other things), a fusion cannon, null-ray rifles, and a rocket-dart hunting rifle. (You guess which is whose.)

The G1 Hot Rod toy came with handheld weapons which http://tfu.info/1986/Autobot/HotRod/hotrod.htm refers to as Photon Laser 1 and Photon Laser 2. This meshes nicely with Hot Rod's line in TFTM--"They've got more Sharkticons than we have photon charges!"--even though i don't think he ever uses handguns in the movie. Instead, he uses three weapons mounted on each forearm (which the movie implies to be his vehicle mode's exhaust pipes, although the toy design depicts them as only a portion thereof).

So.

Question #2:
Do those forearm-mounted, triple-barreled weapons have a name?

Question #1:
Can (and has any fiction ever shown) Rodimus Prime use those things on his forearm as weapons the way Hot Rod did?

Random stray thought #1: Imagining Hot Rod with six addititonal Targetmaster partners, one for each of his forearm weapons...

Random stray thought #2: Potential answer to Question #2: Photon Laser 3, Photon Laser 4, Photon Laser 5...
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

Here's another batch of Hot Rod questions and random thoughts.

Thinking about the way Hot Rod transforms--the G1 toy in particular--if Hot Rod became a Headmaster, would his Headmaster partner also be a Powermaster partner?

If he did, i think the Headmaster/Powermaster partner should be named "Major".

Remember that time Hasbro couldn't secure the trademark for the name "Hot Rod", so they called him "Rodimus Major"? ...What figure was that for, again?

i've also thought up names for the Targetmaster partners who each transform into ONE of Hot Rod's forearm weapons! Their names are Firebolt, Laserbolt, Lightningbolt, Thunderbolt, Deadbolt, and Boltax. (It is unknown what, if any, relation Boltax has to the other Boltax.) Six of them, plus Major, plus Hot Rod... That isn't just binary bonding, that's, what, octal binding?

...Maybe i should get more sleep.
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Get more sleep, STARS. Also, go in the old Autobot roster in the Roleplay section, a bunch of Danish members had some well-supported characters, some of whom were headmaster targetmaster cassette carriers. Power Core combiners kind of reminds me of this. After all, they're Targetmaster Powerlinx Breastforce Combiners, right?
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

i think i remember reading some of those roster entries.

And yeah, Power Core Combiners... Something odd when your sidekick has more modes than you do. But better a Triple Changer or a Quad Changer or whatever than a drone that doesn't even have a robot mode. What's up with that? Sometimes i think the Automorph gimmicks can be pretty cool (from an engineering perspective, if nothing else), but when the figure suffers for it--especially to the point of losing an entire robot mode...!

...The Breastforce guys were never officially considered Targetmasters, were they? Wonder if that's because the weapons didn't have flesh creatures inside.

But what about my original questions in this thread? Even if the answer to both questions is "no", doesn't anybody know it's "no"?

i wonder what TF recharge cycles/schedules are like. Can you imagine the jet lag being binary bonded to a jet who doesn't need to "sleep" as long as you do, or having a flesh creature sleeping inside your head while you're trying to stay alert? ("Wake up! Stop drooling on my memory banks!")

...Yeah, i think "more sleep" is the right call right now. G'night!
sto_vo_kor_2000
Alternator

Re: Kup! Grimlock! Slag! ...Anybody!

Post by sto_vo_kor_2000 »

STARS Commando 539 wrote:
Question #1:
Can (and has any fiction ever shown) Rodimus Prime use those things on his forearm as weapons the way Hot Rod did?
Yes to both

Episode called "5 faces of darkness", cant remember which part.
Today is a good day to die.....but the day is not yet over!
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:
Question #1:
Yes to both

THANK YOU! And it must not have been in Part 1, 2, or 3, because i've never seen him do that. Someday i'll have to see the end of that mini-series...

No no no no no! No spoilers! No spoilers!!

(Seriously, i do plan on someday seeing all the Transformers episodes i've missed, and i'd like to avoid spoilers about them if i can.)
sto_vo_kor_2000
Alternator

Post by sto_vo_kor_2000 »

sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:
Question #1:
Yes to both

THANK YOU! And it must not have been in Part 1, 2, or 3, because i've never seen him do that. Someday i'll have to see the end of that mini-series...

No no no no no! No spoilers! No spoilers!!

(Seriously, i do plan on someday seeing all the Transformers episodes i've missed, and i'd like to avoid spoilers about them if i can.)
It was the episode that trhe Autobots were stuck on the planet of junk.
Today is a good day to die.....but the day is not yet over!
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I remember that part...great 5 part mini-series! I have trouble calling those episodes but I guess that's what they are (individually).