*Non-Spoiler* DOTM review, TT turns 6000

Discuss transformers cartoons, comics, movies, upcoming TF events and conventions, etc.

Moderators: Time Traveller, Kup

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

*Non-Spoiler* DOTM review, TT turns 6000

Post by Time Traveller »

So, Blackjack reminded me today on the phone that I've just tipped 6000 posts, and I should do something to commemorate. I've got just the thing.

I went to Transformers:Dark of the Moon with low expectations, damaged further by the precedent set by Revenge of the Fallen.

Boy, was I blown away. Below contains NO SPOILERS. I'm going to try to convince you to see it if you haven't!

First things first: They got rid of the twins. Thank Primus!
While we're on the drawbacks they dropped, we'll get through those first, which is why the movie made par with me.
+Sam finally stops whining at some point in this one.
+They got rid of Megan Fox/Mikaela, and her pouty diva of a character. As she says in the first movie, "You probably think I'm shallow" ...as a puddle in Arizona. Granted, Carly's actress is a model, not an Oscar-winner, but she does and says some interesting stuff, and makes the romance a little less like a couple of 13 year olds.
+The movie is no longer about masturbation jokes. Based on ROTF, if you replace the jerkoff jokes with giant robot smashy-smashy, I think you actually get like 28 minutes more robot face(ripping) time!
+No transformers are depicted urinating, teabagging, or flatulating, however they seem to cough up "blood" when injured. I'll take it.
+No mysterious duplicate Decepticons to keep track of. "Wait a minute, I thought Mixmaster was in CA knocking down a flag, whilst being stomped in the middle east by Jetfire, and now he's intact and combining into Devastator? Primus!
Now that we're out of the red and into the black, I'd like to excitedly rant to you about some cool stuff they actually did that made me.... smile?!
+RESPECTFUL inclusion of some G1 story ideas. Mixed and matched, lengthened to properly handle their magnitude, and twisted with some real unexpected happenings, the story is legitimately interesting and fun to follow. I'm not saying there's no plot holes (as there is bound to be with ANY fiction movie, especially Sci-Fi), but you can keep track of the who/what/when/where/why, AND if you haven't read spoilers, you might even be caught offguard.
+Humans add to the story. You read that right. Turns out, ground-up, soylent green humans do thicken plots when mixed in the right proportion. Also, humans are depicted explicitly dying, not just implicitly, offscreen. Lots of them. They get mowed down, crushed, and vaporized. Glorious! Humans also do interesting and important things for both factions.
+Fantastic robot smashy-smashy. A whole new array of weapons, decapitations, and face-ripping. Watch out for the rust rifle... wielded by so many G1s, but never more interesting than an orange pew-pew laser. Also, Prime's trailer does stuff other than disappear up his aft when he transforms.
+The wreckers were NOT bemulleted, too-human, hillbilly NASCAR stereotypes as I expected.
+Megatron has flies in his eyes. (say woo if you've read Catch-22, although this is a more literal use of the phrase.)
+Buzz slaggin' Aldrin. Fo' realz.
+Leonard Nimoy. Awesome.

There were some negatives, as always, but for once, it was an enjoyable experience, and I didn't feel embarassed for my hobby while being in public and listening to someone's pot-brownie'd mother talk about fapping it. I'll let you form your own conclusions about the other pro's and con's.

Lastly, I wish I could, in good conscience, tell you to go buy the DotM toys, but I can't. They supplanted the last waves of the awesome Generations with crap.
ROTF was a D-movie with A-is-for-awesome toys, and now DOTM is an A-movie with F-is-for-Mechtech toys. But that's a separate rant.

Here's to 1000 more, crew!
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Congrats on your 6,000+ posts, TT! :wink: Nice review too! I have yet to see it in theaters but plan to this coming weekend. Everything I've been hearing about it has been positive so far though.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Congratulations to your 6000th post! Here's to many more! :D
I can't wait to go see DOTM. I had my doubts about it, since ROTF didn't exactly hold the standard I was hoping for, but after hearing what you've had to say about it, I'm really looking forward to it!
Nice review, by the way. :)
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

what a way to celebrate your 6000th
Congradulations!

I wonder who will ever take over 1st place and get over 8725 posts.
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

congrads TT on 6k.

I want to see the movie but i cant afford too. lol atleast with all the kids and everything going on right now. but i will be looking for the target exclusive cased movie this winter lol.

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Technically, there is only one instance of a "low shot", and it's near the end of the movie. Poor Soundwave.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Thanks, all. I imagine if I got on here half as often as I'd like, I'd over take the 8+ k soon enough. I suppose I could similarly accomplish this with filler.
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

haha excelent rant/overveiw :D congrats on 6000+ and more to come :D.......on a extra note I am still as of yet to see cause E1 is sick and I can not go without her..... :evil:

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

I was really very pleasantly surprised, although the one thing that really bugs me about the movie is that a certain Autobot got even less closure than Jazz.
The Dark is Coming
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

seen it... wooo loved it :D

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

By now, everyone knows shockwave is in the movie. I must come right out and say this, he IS the coolest and best looking character of all three movies! Im a huge fan of shockwave, and even though his character isnt portrayed the way I wanted it to be, he was so awesome looking. I friggin loved the movie, and it truly is the best of the three.
R.I.P. Menasor
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Just got back from seeing it myself. I must say I was blown away! Easily the best out of the trilogy. I thought I would miss Megan Fox's hotness factor but that first shot of Carly going up those stairs changed my mind. :P Nimoy did a great job voicing Sentinel Prime and I love the plot twist involving him. Shockwaves "worm" was perplexing and had me wondering where in the hell it came from. Or how it tied in to his character. Lots of gut wrenching moments like with Ironhide and even almost shed a tear when I thought Bumblebee was going to bite the dust. It's one of those movies I'd go back and pay the ticket price to see again...and that's something I normally wouldn't do.
Redline
Alternator

Post by Redline »

Congrats on the 6k, TT. :) (We'll see if I can maybe hit 200 sometime soon. :P)

As for DOTM, I was not horrified as I went in expecting to be, but the sheer luck and lack of actual human body mechanics in much of the action really irritated me throughout. (ex: you can't catch someone by the hand that is freefalling and not pull their and/or your arm out of the socket.)
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Hollywood, my dear. Hollywood.
Also, holy crap! You're alive! To Skype with you!
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

I second that! To Skype with you, Redline! Great to see you around! :D

Also, now I finally got to see the movie too and I was not disappointed! I'd gladly go see it again (if they would only show it in the town where I live...).