resale value of VHS tapes of TF movies, episodes, etc?

Discuss transformers cartoons, comics, movies, upcoming TF events and conventions, etc.

Moderators: Time Traveller, Kup

Rhymus
City Commander

resale value of VHS tapes of TF movies, episodes, etc?

Post by Rhymus »

An authentic G1 TF toy fetches a higher price than a reissue in similar condition.

i suppose it's too much to hope that, for example, a VHS release of TFTM would resell for more than the price of a TFTM DVD?
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I've not had luck selling vhs at all. Not even complete boxsets. Although I wasn't selling transformers videos either. But I have my doubts they're an exception.

I haven't had any luck with selling the rhino dvd transformers box sets either, for a decent price. I'm sure they'd sell at auction. But I'd rather keep them then sell them for $10 each.

The internet has not helped the value of videos.
Steeljaw
Throttlebot

Post by Steeljaw »

Last edited by Steeljaw on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

I don't think that the Rhino releases of the VHS tapes are worth so much. There's a problem in them that they have the DVD releases both by Rhino and Shout! Factory competing with them (with extra features etc.). They have a bunch of them, whole sets actually, of the Transformers VHS collection at one of the used media places I go to, and they almost can't give them away. There are four complete sets for $15.00 and they've got dust on them.

I have seen the original 1984-whenever F.H.E. (Family Home Entertainment) ones that are not faded from the flourescent lights of a rental store, or not very "shopworn" go for around five to ten dollars apiece, and as much as $50.00 for one in its original shrinkwrap. (I'm going on one example of an auction in a place that we all know, but don't mention by name in here out of respect)

The two guys bidding I knew, and they were fighting it out because they're TF fanatics too and really wanted it equally. I think that factors in too.

There is also a larger version of the VHS boxes offered (the F.H.E. version), where the VHS tape is held by a clamshell case that slips into an art box of the same size. Those go for more money since they were for the most part bought by rental places so they would stand out on the shelves more. I haven't seen any of those for sale in awhile, but I do know that the episode "Fire in the Sky" came in one, because I saw one in Big Lots for sale when I was a kid in a two pack that had G.I.Joe "Sattelite Down" packaged with it in Christmas decorated cellophane.

I know it's not the same cartoon, but a couple of months ago, I bought a "clamshell" sized MISB Thundercats VHS Exodus which features the uncut "movie" that was shown in September, 1985, and I paid thirty six dollars for it minus shipping, if that gives you maybe an idea.
skywarp408

Post by skywarp408 »

Yeah, i don't know what to tell you. I paid $200 for the entire Transformers series (American and Japanese) on vhs 14 years ago. They are all copies and some of the episodes are in bad shape. I also got 2 copies of the 86 movie. The first was the original vhs from 86 and the other vhs was done by some Canadian film company around 2000. I doubt I could get anything for them.

With everything downloadable now and going digital, it doesn't look good for the vhs stuff. I'm still keeping mine though :)
PETER IS GOD!Image
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

I moved like 5 months ago. I had a garage sale. No one even took vhs for free. I pitched like 600 homemade vhs in the trash and donated like 400 official copies for a tax right off.
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Okay! Saw this today!

At Edward McKay the Transformers 1986 movie on VHS sold for $45.00.

Don't ask me why. :shock:

They had a price of $90.00 to start, and had a sticker on the cover that said "out of print" on it. The price slowly moved downwards in steady increments until someone bit. It was a Canadian issue, but of course still plays in the States. It was heavily faded on the front, but the back was nice, and the box was in good shape.

The same dude that bought it also bought the KISS Kompendium. 8)
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

Really wasn't expecting VHS to be worth much to anybody; sounds like it can be, but only to a select few who probably aren't easy to find. Think i'll hang onto what i've got for now. Thanks for the info, everybody. (...Who/What is Edward McKay? Although i doubt my copy is Canadian anyhow.)
Steeljaw wrote:I miss the solid heft to a vhs tape, it was something you could hit your brother with. Kids these days are deprived. :)
i dunno; CDs can still make useful projectiles.
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)