Back to school!

Post want/sale/trades here, share an interesting website, or introduce yourself! No eBay links.

Moderator: Time Traveller

Grimlock
Delicate, Loveable Dinobot

Post by Grimlock »

A lot of how kids are today is in the way that they are brought up. Parents can no longer smack thier kids for any wrongdoing at all. I know that Derricks dad was an old school dad, if he put a foot wrong he said that his dad would kick him into next week, so he behaved himself and he was taught respect. That is what todays kids are short of.
( That is what I think anyway )

ME GRIMLOCK WANT TO MUNCH METAL
Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

agreed
The past is the greatest teacher
Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

The law of not being allowed to smak your kids doesn't count here in Northern Ieland. I shout a lot first, give the two of them a certain amount of lee-way before they get smaked. I find that a stern word from me is enough for them. If they do need a smak then they will get it, but thankfully it's not often.
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

Sadly, the world we live in today has gone backwards with the PC ( politically correct ) brigade baning us from doing anything to stop our kids from doing just what they want. End result - unruly, foul mouthed kids hanging about on street corners with nothing to do except smoke, drink alcohol and shout abuse at passers by at all hours of the day and night. I know because I was one of those kids for the first 20 years of my life :oops:

Commander Megatron

Post by Commander Megatron »

Yes and now look at you!! You're a Dinosaur!! LOL!! Seriously though, you have done so well to get a grip of yourself and do something with your life. You have nothing to be embarrassed about! Be proud of what you have accomplished and be proud of what you have become.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

I feel sorry for those kids who have nothing to do but that kinda crap.
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

you have done so well to get a grip of yourself and do something with your life. You have nothing to be embarrassed about! Be proud of what you have accomplished and be proud of what you have become
I did not do it alone, I could not have done it without Derricks help and support.
You're a Dinosaur!! LOL!!
Yes, I am now a clean living Dinosaur :lol: and have been for the last four or five years.

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I don't know if it's an issue of having to be politically correct about no hitting, but i think it's an issue that parents either don't care at all, or are too lazy to give kids a stern word! stern words kept me in line...
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

I agree totaly, a lot of todays parents do not seem to bother where their kids are or what they are doing. Then if their kids get in to trouble with the police, they are the first there to defend their kids actions. " My son / daughter would not do such a thing " or " there must be some mistake "

Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

in the famous words of Red Forman,;

"what about a swift kick in the a$$"

or

"my foot up your a$$"
The past is the greatest teacher
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

Like I said, no respect for any kind of authority. Sorry to keep going on but it angers me so much. The reason being that I have been there myself, I have a record as long as your arm for past misdemeanors. You name it, I did it while pumped up on drugs or alcohol or both :oops: and my dad was permanently violent towards me so I hate to see other kids going down that road and it angers me no end to see parents who do not care.

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

there are success stories of it though, people who realize the error of their ways, and go on to help others not have to make the same mistake :)
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

Yes, there are. I could maybe be classed as one who turned her life around, but I know that it was meeting and falling in love with Derrick that did it for me. Sometimes it takes someone to help you through and make you see your errors and confront your demons.

Rodimus Prime

Post by Rodimus Prime »

I was smacked once as a kid and swore I would never be smacked again. That kept me in line, but then again I never was a bad kid, I prefered my toys and video games to being out on the streets. Even as a teenager I brought friends over and had tourneys on Super Street Fighter 2. :-P
Snarl, so glad to hear you are one of the success stories and high fives to Dirge for helping you through it. all too often a kid just has no one who cares about them and no one to support them, so they just go off the rails.
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

The thing is that I hated him at the time as he would not let me drink / smoke / take drugs at all. I went from a drugged up, chain smoking alcoholic to a clean living person but it took above six months for me to stop craving my ciggies and beer. and longer before I stopped craving drugs.

Sixshot
Instrument Of Destruction

Post by Sixshot »

Rodimus Prime wrote:I was smacked once as a kid and swore I would never be smacked again. That kept me in line, but then again I never was a bad kid, I prefered my toys and video games to being out on the streets. Even as a teenager I brought friends over and had tourneys on Super Street Fighter 2. :-P
Sounds like me, hehe! I think u r right tho Snarl; it starts with neglect/bad-parenting!
- "Life is worth living only as long as there are enemies worth destroying!"