Things that make you go "Oooh"

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

yeah man that looks real cool :D

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I wish I still lived up there. Living in oklahoma when all your teams back home are winning just plain sucks. Go celtics!
R.I.P. Menasor
Trailbreaker
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Trailbreaker »

Sweet! Celtics fans! I've been a fan since I was a kid and still have my t-shirt from the '86 championship. I haven't been this stoked about a sporting event in a loooooooooooooong time. Actually....I've never been this stoked about anything.
Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

You need to come back to where the action is, Dinobot. :wink:

Trailbreaker, where are you from?

People have been seriously losing their minds around here, it's so funny. There's never been a better time to be a New England sports fan. Even the Bruins and the Revolution have done terrific this season. I only wish the Patriots hadn't choked so badly in the Superbowl ... we could've had three championships.

And the parade is tomorrow, but I've gotta work. :(
Trailbreaker
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Trailbreaker »

I'm from Louisville, Ky. which is NOWHERE near Boston, but my Father has always been a Celtics fan. He grew up watching the Russell and Cousy teams (LUCKY!) and I got my love for the C's from him. Is the parade being nationally televised? I MUST see it! I'm so happy for the entire team, but I am most psyched for Pierce. I've been watching him and following his stats since the night he was drafted and it's great that he has finally had the talent to run to a championship. 17 BABY! 17!!!!!!!!!!
Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

I'm thrilled for Pierce, too--the guy is finally getting something he deserves. He's had to stick through some horrible seasons, and his performance, especially in the post-season, was awesome.
Trailbreaker wrote:Is the parade being nationally televised? I MUST see it!
I doubt it, but there are loads of goodies *HERE*, including some video.
Trailbreaker
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Trailbreaker »

It was on ESPN news, so I watched what they showed. It was pretty cool. Bib Baby cracks me up!
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

I don't know if this belongs in "Got a story" or not. I have dominated that thread :oops: so I thought I should put this somewhere else.

I was surprised with this today as a late anniversary gift. Its kind of funny this year we both bought each other gifts that came in waaaayyyyyy late.

I have mentioned in other threads..........

in excess :oops:

about all the stuff I love collecting Transformers, Thundercats, Native American artifacts, assorted rocks and minerals along with fossils.

I have always wanted a nice piece of amber with inclusions for my fossil collection but I couldn't find any that I felt was worth paying the going rate per carat.

It hasn't been easy to find real amber because as of late anyway because it is a frequently and very cheap easy to make fake fossil.

A lot of unscrupulous people take plastic resin and place mosquitoes, ants leaves and dried ginko leaves into the plastic as inclusions and grind the resin into odd shapes after it cools. As a finishing touch they then polish the plastic to make it look authentic. Since the materials inside the "famber" are organic and look aged by the burning they undergo while the plastics they are placed are still molten so people sometimes accept their "amber" as genuine when it isn't. Its easy to do too since it does look so genuine!

Wes bought me a raw piece that had been "burn tested" so he knew the piece was real.

If you're in the market to buy a piece of amber always ask the dealer to burn an inconspicuous place on the piece you want to buy with open flame.

Real amber will bubble and smell like a mixture of cream and pine tar while burning with no blackening. Plastic resin will blacken on the burning surface with no bubbling and produce black smoke as well as an acrid smell like a burning milk jug.

Another telltale marker from real and fake is that Amber is also extremely light relative to its size. Resin is very heavy for its size.

This piece is beautiful! It has remnants of bark on it, there is an inclusion of a partial leaf with a stem, air bubbles and several species of insects. There are some beetles, there is a termite wing and I believe an aphid. (but I'll have to do some checking so don't hold me to it)

I spent the evening polishing away the oxidized milky outer covering of the amber with ground pumice and petroleum jelly to better reveal the clear amber on the bottom.

I know you're lurking heavy, Wes, so thank you!
Last edited by Roar on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Cool!
You're not going to start jurassic park on my forum, are you?
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Time Traveller wrote:Cool!
You're not going to start jurassic park on my forum, are you?
No I'm not brilliant enough for that!

A man HAS however started a brewing company called Jurassic something Brewing Company that makes beer using a species of yeast that he found in amber.

He owned the amber and worked in the bio-medical field trying to isolate cures for cancer and the like and met dead ends. He found that some of the yeasts in his amber samples were still viable even after thousands of years being encased in the amber so he brewed a batch of beer with it and it turned out to taste good hence his brewing company.

It was in the Winston-Salem Journal this weekend Saturday I believe. I was going to cut it out but I forgot about it! :(
Last edited by Roar on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

WOW that looks really cool Roar :D 8)

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Wow, that piece looks great Roar!
I have a few pieces of amber too, but I wasn't sure how to check if they're real or not. Now I do, so thank you!
Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

Roar you are an institution here at TFL!! Thats an awesome piece. :D