(Non-TF) Japanese anime recommentations

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Razorclaw
Predacon Commander
Location: Behind you, ready to chop your head with my sonic sword...

(Non-TF) Japanese anime recommentations

Post by Razorclaw »

I've noticed that there are some anime fan members so i thought it might be interesting to make a topic to discuss them here.

I've seen the following lately:

Chrono Crusade (or Chrno in Japanese): This anime has the special ability to turn from funny to serious and back again without becoming ridiculous.Not too violent (if you are not the violent type).Nice characters too (except from an annoying little girl).26 episodes in total.Recommended!

Main characters

Claymore: (Warning!This is a very violent one but if you don't mind you are going to love it!). Medieval enviroment involving monsters and female knights with special powers wielding claymore swords. Great characters (except from an annoying little boy whose personality is close to the previous mentioned girl-usual Japanese #&%* characters :x ).The scenario is incomplete with gaps because the manga is still in progress and it was decided that the anime will be 26 episodes.You can read the manga after you've seen the anime :P .RECOMMENDED

Main characters
Last edited by Razorclaw on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, To dungeons deep and caverns old. The pines were roaring on the height, The winds were moaning in the night, The fire was red, it flaming spread, The trees like torches blazed with light.
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

I know all of you have seen Voltron, but Media Blasters (the people who put out the Voltron boxed sets) is introducing the original series that Voltron came from "Go Lion" as soon as the Black Lion DVD set is released.

Go Lion was edited/butchered extensively to make Voltron. World Events had to take out all of the references to religion, violence and death to make the American market even touch it and render it palatable for children along with their parents. (Go Lion most definitely shows people being beheaded, run through, and ro-beast slaughtered slaves with blood gushing everywhere. Even Sven a main character is killed) Needless to say all of the sexual references were taken out too..... and there are a few. The Princess and Sven had a juicy little thing going on before he kicked the bucket.

Even though Voltron was done well you can still get the feeling that something is missing, not unlike the American release of Mazinger Z in the show Tranzor Z.

The last Black Lion Voltron set will have a preview of the Go Lion series that Media Blasters is going to release. From what I have heard it is going to be in the Japanese language with english subtitles so it should be good and give an insight into what we haven't gotten to see.

The show's soundtrack is also a lot better than the American one too. I don't think its shaping up into something you'll want to share with your children, but it will have more drama and intrigue for the older viewer. I don't now how much the series will cost, but I think it'll be worth it.
Razorclaw
Predacon Commander
Location: Behind you, ready to chop your head with my sonic sword...

Post by Razorclaw »

I didn't know that the original Voltron was a violent one...
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, To dungeons deep and caverns old. The pines were roaring on the height, The winds were moaning in the night, The fire was red, it flaming spread, The trees like torches blazed with light.
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

Dbz was even more mature and violent then what the us was broadcasting so the voltron doesnt surpprise me.

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Try Dragon Half... Or if you want something older, Dr. Slump is a real masterpiece. Ranma 1/2 is very good... Slam Dunk...

And I just remembered another of my favorites, G-Force or Gatchaman.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Dragon Half? That's a great anime! Too bad ther aren't so many eps.

Heat Guy J, Saber Marionette and Trigun aren't too bad, and if you're looking for some 'cuter' stuff there's always Cardcator Sakura and Sailor Moon. :)
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

salior moon was killed by cartoon network IMO I just cant bring myself to watch it anymore lol

Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

I feel sorry for you :(
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

What esxactly is the difference between a cartoon and anime? :oops:
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

Deszaras wrote:What esxactly is the difference between a cartoon and anime? :oops:
Cartoon is edited for kids anime is not is the only thing I can figure out its probually an over siplified deffenition. In the us all anime is rated mature NC-17 but cartoon network buys them and edits them down to nothing to show them to the kids.

Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Goldbug wrote:(...) In the us all anime is rated mature NC-17 but cartoon network buys them and edits them down to nothing to show them to the kids.
For anime stands all Japanese animated cartoons, and they have for every group age, not only 17+. Remember Kimba the white lion? Or Heidi, or the Anime version of Little Lulu, etc. They weren't exactly for grown ups.
Last edited by Jose on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

So amine is simply japanese cartoons. That makes sense.
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

Jose wrote:
Goldbug wrote:(...) In the us all anime is rated mature NC-17 but cartoon network buys them and edits them down to nothing to show them to the kids.
For anime stands all Japanese animated cartoons, and they have for every group age, not only 17+. Remember Kimba the white lion? Or Heidi, or the Anime version of Little Lulu, etc. They weren't exactly for grown ups.

Cool tho belive it or not never seen or heard of those on cartoon network when I was a young adult only ones they showed was DBZ Akira Ghost in the shell and some others that where only shown late on Fridays lol I didnt know Voltron was from japan till I read Roars post lol

Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

Deszaras wrote:So amine is simply japanese cartoons. That makes sense.
Here ya go, Desz. That should help ya out. :mrgreen:
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

[quote Cool tho belive it or not never seen or heard of those on cartoon network when I was a young adult only ones they showed was DBZ Akira Ghost in the shell and some others that where only shown late on Fridays lol I didnt know Voltron was from japan till I read Roars post lol[/quote]

I didn't know about Go Lion until I watched the featurette in the Voltron boxed set.

I may be wrong (its happened before).............but it seems that one of the big differences between American comics and cartoons vs. its Japanese cousins is that American comics and television shows (live and animated) are very goal oriented.

There's an a point A middle point B and the end. Japanese comics and anime seem to emphasise the here and now.... the trip itself and tolerates a lot of digressions.

Anime is also extremely dynamic in that not only do the main characters move, but so do the backgrounds, they have as much "life" as the characters themselves so the background is just another character in the show.

But what do I know? :?

Toei animation who did the original Voltron also had a finger in Transformers too I think didn't they?