Soccer/Football fans come here!!

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Soccer/Football fans come here!!

Post by Commander Megatron »

This is a thread for all fans of Soccer/Football. Any country any league anywhere in the world.
Commander Megatron

Ramjet, in answer to your question... The Irish Premiere League is awful, Man United are an excellent team and are supported the world over. Barcelona are the same, they have fans everywhere. The local teams are glorified Sunday league pub drinkers.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Just yesterday I was thinking on how entertainment has become the big bussiness it is now.

I used to be an almost hardcore football nut, but after the 98' World Cup my interested went downhill. It had to do - mostly - with how the football was doing in here. And here's the connection with my first paragraph, the Chilean football is stenched in the ice age. Too slow, and the TV broadcasting is terrible. And - it also happened after that cup - football is now aired by premium cable. As if buying cable TV wasn't enough! Thus, I'm hesitant to spend on a more expensive cable, or to pay an also expensive ticket to go to the stadium - I can use that money on toys! My disappointment never stops...
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Commander Megatron

Poor Jose, there have been a few good players to come from Chile. Marcelo Salas springs to mind. Man Utd were linked with him a few years back for £11 million. Tho he went to Lazio instead. :?
Ramjet
Aerial Lord Of Destruction

Post by Ramjet »

Scottish

Soccer

Hooligans!

Couldn't resist!
Jose

Post by Jose »

Commander Megatron wrote:Poor Jose, there have been a few good players to come from Chile. Marcelo Salas springs to mind. Man Utd were linked with him a few years back for £11 million. Tho he went to Lazio instead. :?
Yeah, the good ol' Salas. He's still playing here, although he's a bit, ahem, chunkier. But he still has the same class. However, now it seems he's playing better as a #10 rather than being a full forward striker - reminds me of the way Bergkamp played. You blink and the ball is in your goal.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

I'm a bit of a footy fan - I prefer F1 as my No.1 sport, but I do follow football quite closely. Liverpool was the superteam of the 80's, and since I grew up then, I've always supported them..... despite being from Leeds(!) :? :lol: I've followed Liverpool through many highs and lows... I love international football too - watching England play in any world cup is something I always enjoy
Jetfire is a robosexual
Commander Megatron

Liverpool!!! HA!!! They sure as hell aren't going to win anything this year.....again!!

Seriously tho, what do you think of Benitez? I think they are being very hard on him and not really giving him long enough.
Jose

Post by Jose »

Sunstorm wrote:I'm a bit of a footy fan - I prefer F1 as my No.1 sport, but I do follow football quite closely. Liverpool was the superteam of the 80's, and since I grew up then, I've always supported them..... despite being from Leeds(!) :? :lol: I've followed Liverpool through many highs and lows... I love international football too - watching England play in any world cup is something I always enjoy
I assume you watched then the Champions League final against Juventus in 1989? The one which costed a long suspension to English teams from European competitions...
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Commander Megatron

The Heysel disaster, English teams were banned from Europe for 5 years. 89 people were killed that day. The next time an English team one the European Cup was Manchester United in the treble winning season.

Interesting story this...

I was a chef at the time of the final and I was working the night of the final!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x There were no customers or anyone else in the kitchen, except the Kitchen Porter. I had it on the radio and turned the radio off in the 90th minute. 1-0 down with two minutes to go..... I walked about 3 metres from the radio and heard the roar from the bar, MAN UTD had scored!!!! I ran the length of the bar and seen the replay, go on Teddy Sheringham!!!! I looked at my watch and thought if I was quick I could see extra time, I turned and walked out of the bar...........
I was half way up and the roar went up again!!!!!!!!!!! Anne the barmaid was jumping up and down, tears in her eyes, Solskjaer had scored the winner!!!! I had *%&%$$^ missed it!!!!! If I had have waited I would have seen it :x :x :x The bar was bouncing, I had missed the goal but was still jubilant at what had happened!!! The glorious treble, in the bag. Go on Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea. BEAT THAT!!!!!
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Does Pele still play?
Commander Megatron

No, he is now an ambassador for the game, working for FIFA. If he was younger and still playing he would be worth millions!!! I would put his starting price at £60million, $110milion
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Thats a lot of money! I don't know why soccer hasn't caught on here in America like it has all over the rest of the world. I like rugby.

Elegant violence.
Bruticus
Alternator

Post by Bruticus »

SOCCER IS FOR WIMPS WHO COULDNT HACK PLAYING FOOTBALL

Ha Ha Im Just Messing
Commander Megatron

there is a lot more skill involved in Soccer than there is in "Football." Why do you guys call it football when you don't use your feet?

Man Utd are still top of the Premiereship after yesterdays games!! :D

It is a lot of money Roar but he was a fantastic player.
Jose

Post by Jose »

Roar wrote:Does Pele still play?
His golden age was in the 60s... 8)

And I wouldn't call a "man sport" one which requires to be all padded up before playing!
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Commander Megatron

Jose wrote:And I wouldn't call a "man sport" one which requires to be all padded up before playing!
Well said Jose!! :lol:
Slag
Gestalt Warrior
Location: In a wodden cottage somewhere in the norwegian forrest making dinobot music

Post by Slag »

i'm still somewhat of an hardcore football nutter :roll:
huge(borderline patheticly huge)man utd, barcelona and inter milan fan, in fact if all of the above teams lose their matches over an weekend, i'll call in sick on the following just to avoid getting the flak from my workmates.

Cm and Jose: i think you got heysel and hillsborough tragedies mixed up...
heysel happend in 1985, 39 people lost their lives in that tragedy
hillsborough happen 1989, sadly killing 96 people in that tragedy.

on a lighter note: in 1990-91, the year english teams were allowed back into the european club competitions, man utd went all the way in the cupwinnerscup, beating barcelona 2-1 in the final.

"Me Slag no like anything."
Commander Megatron

Sop I did, well spotted Slag.

The cup winners cup final...

Mradonna played for Barcelona at the time and Mark "Sparky" Hughes had just come back from Barcelona branded a failure. He scored twice against them to win the match. The second was a goal from an impossible angel, only one other player could have scored that sort of goal.
Slag
Gestalt Warrior
Location: In a wodden cottage somewhere in the norwegian forrest making dinobot music

Post by Slag »

Commander Megatron wrote:
Mradonna played for Barcelona at the time
more correction needed :wink:
diego armando maradonna played for barca from 1982-1984 then he moved to napoli :cry: where he cemented his place as one the best football player in history, so he was not part of the "dream team" that man utd beat in said final.

"Me Slag no like anything."