Got A Story To Tell?

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

Wow, those were some interesting stories. I went from horror at Shockwave's to amazement at Lenny's, followed by hilarity and elation with Roar (I do so love your stories :wink: ) and Dinobot. Crazy luck you have, Dino.
S0und_wave
Decepticon Communications Officer

Post by S0und_wave »

I went canoeing and my cousin slapped me with his paddle and I fell fell into the water.
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

S0und_wave wrote:I went canoeing and my cousin slapped me with his paddle and I fell fell into the water.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

awesome.
Jetfire is a robosexual
Piranacon
Undersea Warrior

Post by Piranacon »

bad day today at work story

im a pertty compasionate guy when it comes to helping people out and i work in home medical(we set up people for end of life care and help them so they can go home and not stay at the hospital)

ok now to the story....

i got a new patient today for home tube feeding(they have a tube in the belly and have to put liquid food through there). while he was in the hospital his cobra insurance ended. so now he has no insurance. and also does not work so he has no money and can afford to get his suppies and food for tube feeding. keep in mind this is the only way this man can eat or get any type of nurisment in him due to cancer. so i have been calling around all morning trying to track down some place that will help foot the bill till he can get his cobra back up and running (it take 21 days). for those that dont konw about entreal feeding it costs about 200 a day depending on the formula u take. so its not cheap. i have searched all over and no1 is willing to help this guy out. even the hospital wont give him and "samples" to take home to get him by. the home care company that is takeing care of him at home refuses to help and is thinking aobut canceling there service because they are now not getting paid (because of the insurance lapsing). hopefully i can find something for this man b4 the day is out. i taled to his wife to let her know what was going on(because he cant talk). and all she did was cry while i was explaining everything which took about 15-20min.

so today has been a very bad day. worst part is there is nothing i can do besides stealing from my work to help this guy(then my wife would kill me). sorry about the downer story jsut had to get it out b4 i snapped at my boss for never helping in a situation like this.

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Can you get Cobra law to retroactively pay for any bills you run up while it's turned off, as long as he was eligible for cobra during the interim period?
Piranacon
Undersea Warrior

Post by Piranacon »

nope they dont care if it was one day or 2 months they do not do retro. the lady i talked to there said its like car insurance if u get in and accident without it and then got pay for some u cant get it covered after the fact. shich sadly makes sense in some cases.

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

i got my emergency heart surgery paid for retroactively thru cobra... but then again, if that hadn't been the case i would have just had to declare bankruptcy and they wouldn't have gotten any money...
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

I'm sorry to hear about that Pirana, really I am. It must be so angering for you at the same time too...

I kinda found something about my Mum recently which is fairly similar, though not in extreme a case as your own story. My Mum is a liver transplant patient - she was lucky to receive it when I was in my early teens around '92-'93. The transplant itself saved her, but the continual treatment and need for daily drugs/steroids to stop the liver rejecting has also had a catastrophic effect on her rheumatoid (did I spell that right?!) arthritis, with the steroids swelling her joints and making it so she can barely walk. But, I hasten to add - she was, and is still with us because of the transplant, and I count myself every single day lucky that she's with us still, and believe me she's a tough old gal, you wouldn't wanna mess with her :? :lol: Anyway, over the last 5 or 6 years, she has also had two moles grow to a point where they now confirm she has a skin cancer, but again, luckily here that they say it's slow growing, and we still have to put up with her for some time yet :wink: :roll: (j/k, obviously) :shock: :lol: . But this is the real bad point in the story now, just as yours had - she has recently found out that, despite the fact that she needs these countless drugs to stop her liver rejecting, or she will no longer be with us, they do not class her essential drugs the same way as they would, for say, insulin for diabetics - I.E., the drug is free on prescription to anyone who's life depends on it. Her prescription must be paid for - and they know full well they my Mum can in no way work or earn anymore than her state benefits, so she must pay for them, which at the number of pills she needs (we're talking at least £120+ here, per month!) is money she just cannot afford. The NHS will not foot the bill over here, even though her life depends on those drugs and she can't afford them. Now, my Dad is Diabetic (yes, my family all fall apart medically it seems :roll: ) and he does get his required drugs for free.

It's such an.... I almost can't find the words.... ambivolent feeling? I feel so angry about them landing this on her, but at the same time, the same organisation, the NHS, has in fact done amazing things to keep both my Mum and my Dad alive.... I kinda have no one to direct my anger at, knowing there's nothing I can do about it.

I hope you find something for your patient, Pirana - I know at least a small part of how you're probably feeling right now and it sucks :(
Jetfire is a robosexual
Ramjet
Aerial Lord Of Destruction

Post by Ramjet »

Piranacon, try calling the local newspaper. Best case scenario, they will send a reporter down and do a story and either it will make the hospital/insurance company look bad and they will take care of it, or a private party may see it and step forward.
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

dang u guys med system is ruthles over there. I feel for u guys

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Piranacon
Undersea Warrior

Post by Piranacon »

its horrible over here. and as far as contacting some1 RJ as an employee of the hospital i am not allowed to contact any media source with happenings within the hospital or involveing its PTs or i wil lbe in breech of contract(meaning they have us by the short and curlies)

as far as health care coverage goes from the things i have seen in this job the less u do the more you get. a person that works his entire life and gets sick when they are older has less of a chance of getting there medical covered than say a 40 year old that does not work and is part of different goverment systems. some days i come home and wonder if working is really even worth it when i can sit at home unemployed and get more money and free health care for not working or paying taxes. then i look at my toy room and am happy i have a pay check lol

@sunny: im sorry about ur mum that is horri-bull. idk much about UK healthcare are there independant companies that help with healthcare related items over there like there are here? if so maybe they can help out. i know over here they wont foot the whole bill but they will help out. as long as its the PT that tries to get the aid not a healthcare worker(if a healthcare worker does it they can be gone after for getting kickbacks even if they do not get anything) might be worth looking into if they do infact have them over there. also i sent u a PM sunny

cyclone
Throttlebot

Post by cyclone »

is that where they stick the feed tube up your nose??, had that some years back after a sports injury.
What i find hard to fathem is that the worlds richest nation, that can spent countless dollars invading soveren states, spent 2 billion dollars on 1 plane, and has some of the best medical science in the world, can have one of the worst health care systems in the world. Seriously i pay as much on travel insurance to visit Us as i do to base jump in Europe because the system is so bad
At the time i was looking at working in the US, but employers paying your medical, then when you get treatment having to pay back the costs?, bugger having paying to see a GP, get stiches or even having a bone reset,

just my opinion on the matter.
Piranacon
Undersea Warrior

Post by Piranacon »

no this is called a G-tube where they insert a port into your stomach and a feeding bag/ syrange can be hooked up via the port

Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Piranacon wrote:bad day today at work story
I tried looking in Social Security.Gov and got an 800 number for the automated phone system out of it. Its 1-800-772-1213

I was hoping that they would let me talk to an agent but they needed the social security number of the person who needed help.

Your person would be better off calling her local social security office and talking to them first before trying the automated phone system. There has to be some kind of emergency funds that this person can get! Especially if this man has been employed and paid into the social security system.

It makes me sick and it breaks my heart when someone is down and well...obviously not going to survive a disease and even worse they are kicked into the dirt. I hope that poor man and his wife can get the help they need from someone!

Ramjet's idea kicks butt by the way.....you don't have to tell the local media yourself but a little bird can put the idea into the husband's wife's head........
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Social Security takes 90 days minimum to process.

The local office # is always busy (in my area), and the internal # between offices usually hangs up on the other office's employees.

Emergency funds may be the name for them, but they are paid in arears, after your 90 process, if you are approved.

Sorry, been fighting this battle myself.
Ramjet
Aerial Lord Of Destruction

Post by Ramjet »

A reporter should keep his sources a secret. :wink: Unless they would know it was you, don't risk your job.
Shockwave
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Shockwave »

Hey I have another story to share mostly for us guys so listen up cause I was in shock when I heard it.This is at work again :? I have to take a guy to the Heath Care Unit (HCU) he had a hmmm.. well something wouldn't go down,and had been this way for about 6 hours(most guys may think wow but not the case,well they really didn't do anything his blood Pressure was alittle high so they sent him back.Well I leave work come back the next day,as soon as I get there there taking this guy to an outside Hospital he has now had this problem for 18 hours.So after seeing a DR. therethe Doc was like "he needs to go into surgery now"!!,so they hush the guy in,and tell him he may LOSE his thing cause of this problem,so long story short they cuy a slit down it and they were able to save it. So guys more than a few hours get help right away.I will try to have a non-prision story next time. :oops:
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

18 HOURS!? Geez, that makes me cringe instantly!
R.I.P. Menasor
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

That is a shocking story, Shockwave :shock:

Most guys really would think they were studly as hell if it was pointing high for a few hours... now we know different. I hope the poor chap in your story "regains full use" if you'll pardon the phrase :oops:
Jetfire is a robosexual
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Shockwave wrote: able to save it
Well the Romans had a god in which that condition is named after. The god was a representation of good luck and every Roman home had him represented in one form or another.

Most Romans could only afford to own a small brass representation of him to hang in the doorway of their homes but the more wealthy of Roman citizens had extremely ornate representations of the god in the form of gilt brass.

If a Roman man or woman were fortunate/wealthy enough to own a both a palace and a slave talented in the art of tile setting or painting they would have him or her either make a mural of that god as a fresco on their main wall/doorway or a mosaic for the entrance/reception floor of their dwelling. In Pompeii there is a home that opted for both.

The more ornate the decoration and veneration shown for the god the more good luck the god would bestow to the family. There was an added bonus of the display being an ostentatious show of the wealth of the family that dwelled in the house. A lot of tiling jobs were done with glass integrated into the artwork and glass was truly the material of the rich.

Glass was so rare in fact that when wealthy Roman families were going to be away from home for extended periods they took their glass windows with them.

Anyhoo.........

There are several beautiful mosaics of the god in question in Rome as well as the two most famous ones in both Herculaneum and Pompeii. Pliny the Elder even made small reference to the god in question's luck to be unable to save the people of those cities especially his own adopted nephew Pliny the Younger who was one of the victims.

If any of you need pictures of Roman coins or history help.... anything just ask I'll put you in touch with my mother. She was a western civilization professor for over 20 years. Amphoras, coins, bronze daggers and swords.......... her's and dad's house is a museum! :roll: