Got A Story To Tell?

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

The Liege Maximo.
Grimlock
Delicate, Loveable Dinobot

Post by Grimlock »

The Liege Maximo.
Quick, someone find whoever that is .............. :lol:

ME GRIMLOCK WANT TO MUNCH METAL
Commander Megatron

I'll pm you who and what he is, gimmee a second.
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

ok the unloading story

I went to collect a 14 ton digger and a 6 ton dumper with the tractor and a 30 foot low loader with a beaver tail and ramps at the back

I loaded the digger on first followed by the dumper. I chained them to the trailer but at some piont on the road, the chain holding the dumper broke and by the time that i had got to where i was going ( home ) the dumper had moved to such an extent that i could not drive it either way or it would just fall off the side of the trailer.
howevber, as any good digger driver knows you do not need ramps to unload a digger you use the boom to lift one side of the digger and then you drive one track and swing the cab around so that the tracks are facing off the side of the trailerthen you drop the bucket to the ground and drive forward until the centre of gravity will allow you to lower one end of the machine to the ground then you swing the cab to face the trailer and drop the bucket on to the trailer bed and drive the rest of the way off while extending the lower boom then you let yourself to the ground and hey presto one unloaded digger then you use the digger to shove the dumper around to face the right way to drive it off the back and down the ramps.

The gravity thing came the first time that Kath saw me do it and she asked how i was going to get them off and i said that gravity will take over coz one way or another they will both hit the ground.

THIS METHOD IS DANGEROUS AND SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NESCASARY AND ONLY THEN BY AN EXPERIENCED DRIVER
Commander Megatron

Holy god Dirge!! I am guessing one mistake and it's goodnight digger and driver!
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

Nice work Dirge :D I like the little disclaimer too :lol:

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

apparently John deere loads their largest class of backhoe (the 700 series) onto the train cars at the factory sideways... climbing up onto the cars using the bucket (the front one), dipper (the arm in the back), and the stabilizers. Pretty cool, in my book.

Dirge, you need to buy some better chains/lug nuts/brake cables. i swear, you're a recipe for disaster! :lol:
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

Holy god Dirge!! I am guessing one mistake and it's goodnight digger and driver!
yep thats about the size of it. i have only ever had one mishap doing this but luckily for me the bucket got caught on the trailer headboard and stopped it.
I like the little disclaimer too
That aint no disclaimer, that is a serious warning
apparently John deere loads their largest class of backhoe (the 700 series) onto the train cars at the factory sideways... climbing up onto the cars using the bucket (the front one), dipper (the arm in the back), and the stabilizers. Pretty cool, in my book.
I have seen it done with a backhoe loader, but I have never had the courage to try it myself.......... I smell a challenge ... :lol: :twisted:
Dirge, you need to buy some better chains/lug nuts/brake cables. i swear, you're a recipe for disaster!
That particular chain was one that i have had for years i guess it had just had enough. i have since bought industrial chains tested to 25 tons.

these little mishaps are what makes life interesting. :wink: :lol:
Commander Megatron

Dirge1 wrote:I have seen it done with a backhoe loader, but I have never had the courage to try it myself.......... I smell a challenge ... :lol: :twisted:

To hell you do!!!! Kath, tell him NO!!!!
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

He can not, as we do not have a backhoe loader, nor are we ever likely to.
Plus the fact that the backhoe loader is the only machine that he is not licensed for.

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

you need separate licensing for different types of equipment? or is it just a matter of proper training?
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

You need different licenses for different types of plant machinery, but in order to get them you have to pass a very strict test.

You need seperate licences for :-

360 digger up to five tonnes

360 digger above five tonnes

180 digger ( Backhoe )

Loader ( Must be mounted on the same machine as the backhoe )

Telehandler

Forklift up to two and a half tonnes

Forklift over two and a half tonnes

Tractor ( you get this license with your normal car license, however you must then pass another test to be able to drive one on a building site )

Dumper ( Any weight )

Dumper swivel skip

Dumper tracked

Manplatform scissor lift

Manplatform cherry picker

Dump truck

Bulldozer ( Any weight )

Each of these tests requires a five day training period with the theory test and the practical test on day six.

I also have all of the above licenses apart from the 360 digger over five tonne and the backhoe loader.

Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

That's a lot of licenses...
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Ratchet wrote:That's a lot of licenses...
I want to see the one that says...............

"To Kill" :twisted:

Can't be that hard to do with all them backhoes, tractors and assorted wildlife that you and Snarlock hang out with, Dirge.
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

That's a lot of licenses...
It takes about two months to get them all.

However, when it comes to operating machines, there is no substitute for experience. That is how Derrick can do all these fancy tricks with heavy machinery, he has been driving them for years.
Can't be that hard to do with all them backhoes, tractors and assorted wildlife
They are not all that hard to do, most of it is common sense.

I had one man say to me, and I quote

" Women can not drive plant machinery "

I did not realise that you had to be male to drive these machines, and it really annoys me when men do not think that I can drive heavy machinery as well as they can. :x

Rumble
Decepticon Demolitions Expert

Post by Rumble »

Grimlock wrote:Forklift up to two and a half tonnes
Woo, I have that one!

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

I can't believe I thought Cassettes were the way of the future.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

awwwsome Snarl 8) Why cant women drive plant machinery???

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

Lets be fair here, how often do you see a woman operating heavy machinery ?

There is no reason why a woman can not drive anything just as well as any man.

It does make the men look when I turn up and unload heavy machinery.

Commander Megatron

I'm sure the look is priceless!! :lol:
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

It certainly is.

The best one was when Derrick got the trailer stuck on a building site and he lost his temper at the digger driver and he phoned me to assist.

I went to the site to find a fifteen tonne dump trailer sunk to its axles with a full load on. Derrick has something of a reputation for NOT getting stuck, so he was a bit annoyed by the time that I arrived.

The sites own digger driver said that there was no way that a woman would be any use with a problem like this one, he then tried to lift the trailer out with the one digger, but all he did was rip both tyres away from their rims at one side. Derrick then really lost his temper as trailer tyres for that trailer are two hundred and fifty pounds EACH.

He told the driver to get off that machine or there was a good chance that he would become rather violent.

I then climbed in to the digger, by this time the site had ground to a halt and all eyes were on us.

Derrick got the the other digger at one side and I got my digger at the other we then lifted together at exactly the same time and the trailer came clear of the ground. Derrick then put his side down and climbed on to the tractor and I moved the digger at the same speed he was driving until we got on to hard ground, then I changed both wheels while it was held off the ground by the digger.

The look on the foremans face was priceless, he asked me if I wanted a job as a digger driver. :lol: