Cosmic Rust!

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

SentinelPrime
Autobot Legend

Cosmic Rust!

Post by SentinelPrime »

Can anyone give me some solution for my new addition's cosmic rust problem? I just got this beauty in and it's is excellent condition...except the previous owner left the old batteries in it and it has partially rust one battery contact. Any kind of rust cleaner I can use to clean it? Or is it too far gone? How about replacing the battery contact? If so...how? I'm "Tim the Toolman Taylor" when it comes to this kind of repairs. HELP!!!

Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

Unless you can get a knife in there or something similar and scraoe it clean, it looks like its pretty far gone. I had to replace a terminal in an 80's laser tag rifle for the same reason. The batteries came out of the gun white and brown. I tried scraping it and got some off, but then i dug too far into the metal making it unusable. Just be gentle with it.
R.I.P. Menasor
Rumble
Decepticon Demolitions Expert

Post by Rumble »

Ha a Robotic Radio!

Does it work even though it is corroded, and if not is the volume turned up? (Sorry if that sounds patronising, but it is an easy mistake to make).
It looks quite rusted from the pictures you showed Sentinal, but you might be able to save it. If you can remove the terminal it will be a good start, then I would try and get as much of the rust off as possible using a wire brush. Once you have done that I would leave it in a cup of Coke for a few days (Mildly acidic), while using the wire brush some more to try and clean off any more stubbon deposits. I have never taken either of mine apart so I am not sure how easy it would be to get a terminal out.
Hope this helps.

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

I can't believe I thought Cassettes were the way of the future.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

I'll have to try Coke, Rumble!

@ Sentinel: If you can take that spring and terminal out go out and buy yourself some lithium grease and soak that monkey in it overnight! The goop in a plastic tub works just as well as the stuff in a can CRC makes.

It'll strip off the biggest part of that rust to where you can just wipe it away! I know that looks crazy and like it wouldn't work but I swear it works like a charm!

After that.......if there is still some rust..and pitting.......

Use some either.....a metal polishing agent like "MAAS" that comes in a tube, or Mother's aluminum wheel polish (That's what I have lying around..that's what I use, some rubbing compound (the gritty stuff you use on paint), or some light grit sandpaper. Gently work on it with gloved hands with your fingers until you get to shiny metal underneath.

(Rubbing compound, MAAS, and Mother's Alum. polish works on your skin really badly so gloves are a must)
SentinelPrime
Autobot Legend

Post by SentinelPrime »

Hey guys! Thanks for all the great advice on how to get rid of the rust! I realize I will probably have to take alot of this figure apart to get the terminal out, but I'm scared to death once I get it apart, I won't be able to get it back together actually the way it was! I've taken things apart before and they had loaded springs that I could not get back in place!

Anyone want to take a stab at doing this for me? I'd be glad to pay you something for the time and effort! Again, I'm "Tim the Toolman Taylor" when it comes to trying to do things like this! PM me!
Catilla
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Catilla »

not sure if itll help yer (may be to late) but use Kurust made by hammerite, it kills rust
Lennyluck

Post by Lennyluck »

SP, Home Depot............ electrical section, get their advice there. don't tell em what it's for, but generally for the contact of some electronic thats rusted. I know theres a few cleaners I've used in the past (can't remember the name) but yah gotta be careful. Some of that stuff takes off the color of anything around it...I know from experience :x

If yah cant get to Home Depot your local hobby or paint store should have something...
Ramjet
Aerial Lord Of Destruction

Post by Ramjet »

Roar wrote:I'll have to try Coke, Rumble!
I know a guy..............

Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

LOL!!! Brilliant Ramjet, I laughed out loud when I seen that!! Long live Al Pacino!!
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

"Say hello to my little friend!"

Such a good movie but Tony Montana had issues that needed sorting out.

Sentinel Prime has has been nice enough to let me take a stab at getting the rust off of his radio contacts. I'll try to get some pictures of the bod..I mean the results of the rust removal. :twisted:
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

Roar wrote:"Say hello to my little friend!"
I say that quote to my wife all the time :twisted:
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

:lol: :lol:
Jetfire is a robosexual
Hot Shot
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Hot Shot »

Probably easier to just take that apart and remove the rusted/corroded contact and just replace it with one taken from another old toy.
Ramjet
Aerial Lord Of Destruction

Post by Ramjet »

Yeah, maybe Radio Shack would have new contacts?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

galvatron wrote:
Roar wrote:"Say hello to my little friend!"
I say that quote to my wife all the time :twisted:
I'm sorry to hear that.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

ooh i stepped into that one!

it's not the size of the battery that counts, it's how you use it

Besides i haven't heard any complaints about my 9volt
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Then she must be a Decepticon, cus it takes a 12 volt to start a car;)
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »