UFC anyone? Martial Arts?...

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Lennyluck

UFC anyone? Martial Arts?...

Post by Lennyluck »

Just watched a UFC match tonight rekindling my martial arts background... I'm thinking of training for a little to fight in a UFC match...Time is always a problem though w/ work...

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Pretty DARN bad, and 10 being not at all that badly ,...how badly do you fellow members think I'll get my butt whooped if I went down that road???lolz :lol: .......ohhh... :cry:
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

i have no idea your skill level. I actually trained for 7+ years a long time ago. I am sometimes surprised at little bits of muscle memory from it that surface now and again.

On a scale of 1 to 10, you'd whoop me on the order of 1-2, if it makes you feel any better. i never fought competitively, wasn't aggressive enough... THEN, anyway :P
Lennyluck

Post by Lennyluck »

aww bud....was kinda hopin for a 1.... :cry:
I started around 9 or 10..as years went on learned different types, last tried mauy tai for a lil then stopped for a long time

the last bit of serious training of anything I did was a 20 mile run through the woods w/ 80lbs or so of gear with 2 buddies of mine training for a Ranger comp. That was tough by it self, I mean Tough...

I'm juz wondering how I'ld hold up to ongoing jabs, elbows and Knees to my skull...
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

There's only one way to find the answer to that - regular sparring... see how you hold up to regular spankings from willing friends.

I too had a martial arts background, doing Shuko-Kai karate for just under 10 years. I managed to become a 2nd Dan at 19-20 years old, before I moved house and lost complete touch with the club and training. I'd probably have my face well and truly re-arranged if I had a fight now but there was a time I would have happily taken anyone on. There was a girl there who attended the same school as me called Jade - she started the same style with the same instructor at 5-6 years old, so when I joined, despite her being younger than me, she was very, very tough. She kicked my ass a number of times :lol: I'm almost sure she must be 4th or even 5th Dan by now. Our instructor was one of only two 6th Dan instructors in the style at the time, and I think he's since been to Japan to advance farther no doubt.

I miss martial arts terribly, but there's no way I could currently do it with my illness :(

If you do go ahead at it Lenny, I wish you all the best! :D
Jetfire is a robosexual
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I dont think I would hold up very well at all. It sounds like it would be fun at the level required to muster a win. If you have the opportunity, go for it! I love watching UFC, so maybe i'll see you on there someday.
R.I.P. Menasor
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Re: UFC anyone? Martial Arts?...

Post by Roar »

Lennyluck wrote:Just watched a UFC match tonight rekindling my martial arts background... I'm thinking of training for a little to fight in a UFC match...Time is always a problem though w/ work...

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Pretty DARN bad, and 10 being not at all that badly ,...how badly do you fellow members think I'll get my butt whooped if I went down that road???lolz :lol: .......ohhh... :cry:
I am a master of Tae 'Con Do and I think you'd stand a pretty good chance if you took a blaster and your null rays with you! Don't take a kick to a laser fight! :wink:

Are gis fire retardant? :twisted:
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

no, but i'm a deadeye with a good ol' rifle, just in case.
Lennyluck

Post by Lennyluck »

Sunstorm wrote:There's only one way to find the answer to that - regular sparring... see how you hold up to regular spankings from willing friends.

I too had a martial arts background, doing Shuko-Kai karate for just under 10 years. I managed to become a 2nd Dan at 19-20 years old, before I moved house and lost complete touch with the club and training. I'd probably have my face well and truly re-arranged if I had a fight now but there was a time I would have happily taken anyone on. There was a girl there who attended the same school as me called Jade - she started the same style with the same instructor at 5-6 years old, so when I joined, despite her being younger than me, she was very, very tough. She kicked my ass a number of times :lol: I'm almost sure she must be 4th or even 5th Dan by now. Our instructor was one of only two 6th Dan instructors in the style at the time, and I think he's since been to Japan to advance farther no doubt.

I miss martial arts terribly, but there's no way I could currently do it with my illness :(

If you do go ahead at it Lenny, I wish you all the best! :D
I think I'm gonna go for it Sunstorm...get back into it for both of us...ay..
and who knows, maybe Dinobot'll see me one day getting my jaw kick the*#?$ off... :(

I'm getting my self back into shap lil by lil, been doing a bit of renovation on the 1st floor of my place along with work and the other activities I have in my life...so time is something I don't really have...gotta clean out my weight room/dumping area and find my kickboxing bag.

If I get sometime I'll join this Gym up in Flushing that's actually a mixed martial arts gym. Some UFC fighters trained there and probably still do..

I'll walk in there looking hard at everyone and say "hey do you know who I am"..and I'll prolly get a few responses along w/ some vulgar language..and I'll say...."Yo mama",...

....figure thats a good way to make a few good sparring partners!
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

lol - that's the spirit Lenny. Just look as mean and crazy as possible... When I was 16-20 and fighting, I had a LOT of piercings, which surprisingly they let me keep most of them in, and I used to do crazy things with my hair, leopard print, card suits, a chess board, all sorts of goofy stuff, but it used to spook opponents before the fighting even started :roll: :lol: . I miss those days - damn growing up and work responsibilities :x :lol: . That kinda works, along with the classic "think about everyone who ever p**sed you off" technique :lol:

Now I KNOW you're all gonna ask for photos now... erm, I'll see what I can dig up. You guys will p**s yourselves if you see the photo I think I can find of me, about 17 years old, with a huge long dyed beard and neon yellow hair with paw prints all over it... oh the shame. I must find it and scan it... :oops: :twisted:
Jetfire is a robosexual
Blurr
Targetmaster

Post by Blurr »

i recently started kickboxing, its alot of fun, got a few demos coming up in a few weeks that im nervous about but should be fun.

i wanna learn kravmaka to , that looks badass
Piranacon
Undersea Warrior

Post by Piranacon »

i did greco roman and freestyle wrestling for around 17 years at the 275 weight class. also took some boxing classes. i only ever fought in 2 MMA fights(i'm 1-1) thought it was kinda fun but i would much rather do greco roman wrestling(have won 6 state titles in this) mostly though i jsut like the idea of one vs. one compitition.

@sunstorm: dont feel bad almost every1 who does some kind of one on one combat tries to sike out the opponet lol when i was wrestling all the time i was about 6'3" 275 lbs and had a shaved head with heni tats on the side and a 4 in. tusk in my septum....and i always made sure to be shaveing my head in the locker room where my opponet could see me and i would use a straight razor lol i had one guy so scared (he was like 2 years younger than me) when we had to shake hands he was almost twitching looked like he was gonna pass out. ref even asked him if he was alright lol was classic (that match lasted all of 6 seconds<--team record) lol :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

vectorsigma
Targetmaster

martial arts

Post by vectorsigma »

i have been taking Korean style Kempo and Ninjitsu since i was 4, my father is a master at both and has been all my life

R.I.P Menasor