gas prices

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

Shockwave wrote:Oh hey everyone been a while,unless I play call of duty 4 with ya.

It has been a while, are you gonna stick around for a while?
Shockwave
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah I gotta start getting on computer more,I need time to read over RP,see whats going on alot of reading there. :)
optimusprime
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by optimusprime »

Shockwave wrote:Yeah I gotta start getting on computer more,I need time to read over RP,see whats going on alot of reading there. :)
oh wow a name out of the past wb :D
we are all a little wiser, from the knowledge we accumulate from this moment on, the return of optimusprime
http://www.tfarchive.org/portal/
Sixshot
Instrument Of Destruction

Post by Sixshot »

Shockwave wrote:Yeah I gotta start getting on computer more,I need time to read over RP,see whats going on alot of reading there. :)
Just PM CM! He'll get u back in, :wink:
- "Life is worth living only as long as there are enemies worth destroying!"
ghostinthemachine
Aerial Supreme Commander

none

Post by ghostinthemachine »

gas prices are on the rise again due to the hurricane, man that sucks its been raining here for days now, but gas is back up to 3.49 from 3.22
Redline
Alternator

Post by Redline »

"Up to" $3.49? It hasn't been as low as $3.22 up here in over a year... we're somewhere around $4.02 right now. XP Thank God I bought a 45mpg car this summer.
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

I don't think we've seen anything below $3.50 over the summer. Now with going back to the UP of Michigan, its $3.80 in town and $4.10 everywhere else. Also, Jingle gets 45 mpg? What? When did that happen?
Redline
Alternator

Post by Redline »

If I didn't drive 75 down the highway and was a little more civil with my starts and everything, I have no doubt Jingle would get at -least- 45mpg. getting 40mpg going down the highway at 75 is crazy enough.
(Jingle is my little Hyundai Accent, for all you who think we're crazy now. ;) )

And you get $3.80 in town? It's been $3.99 cheapest around here. >.< And I only live 2 hours away from you...
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

I saw $3.80 a couple weeks ago. I think its $3.90 right now though. How on earth did you manage or measure 40 mpg at 75? Even the little plastic car I drove this summer only managed around 30 i think.
Redline
Alternator

Post by Redline »

I'm really not sure how it managed that, but I measured and calculated it on the 8 hour drive back up to school and that's what I got. I told you about it. :P My dad, who was driving a huge Suburban had to pick his jaw up off the ground, and kind of hated me every time we stopped at a gas station after that. ^^;;
Grimlock
Delicate, Loveable Dinobot

Post by Grimlock »

You lot in the US have it easy, our UK prices are extreme

Petrol - £1.06GBP a litre
Diesel - £1.19GBP a litre
Tractor ( red ) diesel £0.75GBP a litre

Last time we filled the tractor diesel tank it cost £945GBP, last year at this time it cost £520. that is how much fuel prices have gone up.

ME GRIMLOCK WANT TO MUNCH METAL
Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

Wow! $3.22!!! Our lowest, so far is $3.36, but it went back up to $3.47! Luckily, it's close to my fiancee's job, :P
Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

Sixshot wrote:
Just PM CM! He'll get u back in, :wink:
Do indeed Shockwave, it will be great to have you back again!
Redline
Alternator

Post by Redline »

Snarl wrote:You lot in the US have it easy, our UK prices are extreme

Petrol - £1.06GBP a litre
Diesel - £1.19GBP a litre
Tractor ( red ) diesel £0.75GBP a litre

Last time we filled the tractor diesel tank it cost £945GBP, last year at this time it cost £520. that is how much fuel prices have gone up.
Oh, I know it's so much easier for us in the US. It's hard to say anything about gas knowing that, especially since we buy it in -gallons- instead of litres. >.< That's why it irritates me so much that we aren't trying to reduce our fuel consumption over here more. You guys have so much better cars and transportation over there. We should be doing the same thing and using the technology you already have. It's not like our countries don't speak or something. XP
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

Tractor diesel was £0.25pGBP a litre for years. Then the haulage companys started to ( illeagally ) use red diesel instead of regular diesel and our transport authority VOSA started to prosecute people for using it. The problem then spread to tractor drivers as companys started to use agri tractors and big trailers instead of lorries for haulage. The difference being that you can legally drive a tractor on the road at age seventeen and you do not need to pass any test other than your regular car test. the problems first came to the attention of VOSA when a young person passed his car test, age seventeen, in a Peugot 106 then got a job for a haulage company driving a agri tractor. Sadly he did not know how to drive a 5 tonne tractor towing a loaded trailer weighing in at 18 tonnes. Then when the sad event happened VOSA questioned what he was doing hauling a load of brand new bricks with a vehicle that should be used for agri porposes only. So from then on the prices of tractor diesel skyrocketed to try to prevent illegal use, sadly for the farmers, the prices hit them very hard. Add to that the rocketing prices of regular diesel and it becomes very expensive. :evil:

Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

Geez, gas prices literally shoot up during the course of the day! I passed by the gas station I mentioned earlier, reading $3.47, then later when I needed gas, it shot up to $3.53! What the hell, :shock: :x
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Problem is Redline, public transportation isn't an option. The united states would ~die~ if gas got up to $10 something a gallon! People would LOSE money driving into the city to work, food would cost too much to eat since it's brought by truck and not train, and the economy would look like....

oh wait...
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

food would cost too much to eat since it's brought by truck and not train
Most of our food is transported by road, very little if any is moved by rail.
People would LOSE money driving into the city to work
That has been the case here for at least the last two years, that is why we have so many unemployed, it pays them far more to get their big government handouts and they get their fuel bills paid for as well as everything else.
public transportation isn't an option
For all of the inner city people who complain about the cost of fuel, relatively few actually use public transport. If me and Derrick could use the bus or the train, we would as it costs far less than running two Land Rovers.

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

problem is, and no offense, but your country is way smaller. plus, it's surrounded by coastline, so you can get stuff by boat. i guess what my whole point is, BECAUSE the landmass is bigger here, we generally have to travel farther. thus, higher costs for everything.
Oh, and there aren't really any big gov't handouts for unemployment, trust me, i know ;)
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

Our transportation infrastructure is terribly messed up. The Twin Cities recently setup Light Rail Lines to help alleviate traffic and high gas prices, but no one rides them. Now to stay solvent, they've had to jack prices up from $1.50 to $2.50, decreasing ridership further. We subsidies truckers so they can afford to be economic against trains, even though it raises fuel prices and wastes man-hours. You could get to Chicago from the Twin Cities in 2 hours by reasonably fast train, but people would rather drive all day or spend all day at the airport for a 90 minute flight. 2 to 3 hours spent getting to a 90 minute flight is ridiculous, even ignoring the exorbitant prices. Our transportation system is orientated around personal freedom, rather than efficiency or price. We're paying for it now though, and prices will only go up.