The personal finance thread!

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

or atleast the atm card or checks lol

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
Grimlock
Delicate, Loveable Dinobot

Post by Grimlock »

or atleast the atm card
NO, NEVER, NOT A CHANCE.

I hate the stupid little bits of plastic. They are a good way to get you into serious financial trouble at a great rate of knotts.

ME GRIMLOCK WANT TO MUNCH METAL
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

Snarl wrote:
or atleast the atm card
NO, NEVER, NOT A CHANCE.

I hate the stupid little bits of plastic. They are a good way to get you into serious financial trouble at a great rate of knotts.
there is a thing for that called will power my dino friend.

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

Yes, that is true but if you have one, the temptation is always there.
Remove the temptation = end of problem. :lol:

Rumble
Decepticon Demolitions Expert

Post by Rumble »

Snarl wrote:I hate the stupid little bits of plastic. They are a good way to get you into serious financial trouble at a great rate of knotts.
Cards or Transformers? :lol:

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

I can't believe I thought Cassettes were the way of the future.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

BOTH :lol:

Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Don't carry the "stupid little bits of plastic "with a $1000 limit. Carry $1000 in cash instead! What could possibly go wrong?
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

Iam sorry, but I am firmly against plastic cards. Derrick will not have one and nor will I. The problem is that they allow you to spend money that you do not have and I think that you are far better off only buying what you can pay for and these plastic cards are destroying peoples lives by allowing them to spend money in advance, then the bank charges you a huge sum. Therefore you always spend more than what you earn.
Me and Derrick are two of the very few people around here who own everything that we have. We have no outstanding finance on anything, no car payments, no tractor payments, no mortgage. The only bills that we get are the everyday bills Food, gas , water and electric. That is purely because we have never had finance or used credit or plastic cards to buy anything. If Derrick needs a new tractor, we nurse the old one untill we can fully pay for the new one.

Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

Wish Mrs Megatron thought like you!! LOLOL!!!
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

If everyone had our way of thinking, the banks would probably go bust.
Even the house we live in we bought. Granted it needed a hell of a lot of work, but we did all of that ourselves as we could afford it.

Go on CM do it ................... cut the plastic card in half and BURN the remains. If Mrs Megatron says anything, just tell her that you are the mighty Megatron, you need no card , you will take what you need by the use of force ................ :twisted:

Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

But... an ATM card IS NOT money you don't have. It's a $1000 bill, that you don't have to worry about getting lost or stolen.

I'm not advocating credit by any means... I'm just saying, carrying plastic (that's backed up by CASH) is by far a better option than "carrying enough $$$ for any eventuality"

Edit: Though, I will admit to using my American Express Credit Card whenever I can. Why? I get 2% back on ALL purchases, and 5% back on gasoline. I pay the bill religiously twice a month to avoid ANY fees. They are PAYING ME about $2000 this year to use their card.
Commander Megatron

Snarl wrote:Go on CM do it ................... cut the plastic card in half and BURN the remains. If Mrs Megatron says anything, just tell her that you are the mighty Megatron, you need no card , you will take what you need by the use of force ................ :twisted:

She cleared off the ones she had and got a new one!! I told her in no uncertain terms that she was to be careful with it and not go nuts!!

"FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY..." was the reply.

We'll see. I cut the card, two guesses what would be next to be cut. Megatron with no Fusion Cannon...doesn't bear thinking about!
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

I am sure that Mrs Megatron would not rip you in half. But cutting your fusion cannon off sounds scary ......... :lol:

Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

She cant call our leader out like that and get away with it can she
Rumble
Decepticon Demolitions Expert

Post by Rumble »

Thats all Snarl seems to be doing! :lol:

@Wheezel: Thanks for the link in the first post, my PC finally loaded it up after several attempts. There are quite a few KOs that I like the look of on that page.

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

I can't believe I thought Cassettes were the way of the future.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

Although snarl is quite correct about the cards, that is where a lot of people go wrong. it is to do with the mind people think that its ok I have say $100 left on this card then they see something for $110 and think its only $10 it will be ok then wham large charges. Maybe it is different across the pond but there is no way that any bank in the uk will give you that sort of deal. they all charge for the use of thier cards and charges go above and beyond what people can afford hence large debts.
Commander Megatron

Snarl wrote:I am sure that Mrs Megatron would not rip you in half. But cutting your fusion cannon off sounds scary ......... :lol:
...and very painful!! Her loss tho. LOL!!!

I'm glad your back Dirge now she can call you out instead of me!! LOL!
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

No chance ........ :lol:
I have to live with Dirge

As for it being painfull and her loss -
Painfull = no pain involved, She did not feel a thing
Her loss = wrong again, she may use your future self with his particle cannon :lol:

Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Dirge: I'm not sure if it works the same way in the UK as it does here, either.

In the U.S., credits CAN be dangerous, and they CAN also be highly advantageous. It all depends on which card you get, which bank funds the card, and what terms you negotiate. Few people even realize that YOU CAN NEGOTIATE with your credit card company regarding the fees and percentage they charge.

Why would the credit card company willingly pay me to use my card like they do? It's quite simple, really. EVERY time I swipe my card at a store or on the internet, the store gets charged somewhere between 2-4% of the transaction in processing fees. So while AmEx might not be making money from ME through fees, they make it from the store. So if they get an average of 3% from the store, and give me back 2%, they STILL make 1%, for essentially doing nothing.

So, I negotiated for no fees, a 28 day "grace period" and 2% cash back (5% on gas), and a 10k limit (no chance of going over that for what I shop for). As long as I make a payment every 15 days (on the same day that I create payroll, so that's easy to remember), I profit.
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

I know that here in the UK The banks charge you something like four or five percent of what you have in your account at the end of each calender month under the term " Bank charges ". when we use our cards in the stores the store does get charged but that charge is passed on to the customer so we get hit twice. Me and Derrick do not use banks at all, we use a building society. The reason being that they do not charge half as much as a bank and we get a lot more interest on what we have.