Wii games that aren't utter garbage?

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

Has the Wii actually had any successful ports that take advantage of its specialness? I was under the impression that even Force Unleashed (which sounds perfect conceptually for the Wii) ended up playing like garbage on it.
S0und_wave
Decepticon Communications Officer

Post by S0und_wave »

The wii game market seems to focus on mainly younger children and under.
There a few good quality games.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Bully. Call of Duty 3. Any other ported shooter that I'm not thinking of. Virtually any sports game, unless you're lazy.

Okami!

Resident Evil 4!
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

S0und_wave wrote:The wii game market seems to focus on mainly younger children and under.
I must've missed the "Wii Wee Toddler's we wee wee whee!" Game. Or did they just replace ALL the e's with i's? Those silly/crafty Japanese.

I bet this title would teach Rumble how to aim more precisely!
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

Okami and Resident Evil 4 were both old game though, it took them about 2 years to port them over. As for Call of Duty 3, it being on the Wii didn't do anything for me, the combat was fun, but the quick-time events did not go down well. Its kind of infuriating when you can't figure out how exactly the game wants your waggling to register, when you have only several seconds to avoid dying.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Funny. I've played Force unleashed on Xbox and Wii. It was more fun on Wii. It generally has gotten higher ratings by critics than the other platforms.

If you're expecting to *consistently* get 1st string ports of games onto the Wii that ALSO utilize the unique controller capabilities of the Wii, OF COURSE you're going to be disappointed. Its a LOT of work to:

A) Come up with a functional (and innovative!) control scheme

B) Playtest said control scheme

C) Downgrade the graphics needs of the game

all while D) Maintaining the integrity and playability of the game

Most games can't do that on ONE platform, let alone on two radically different platforms. You're only going to see 1st string ports for games that developers KNOW will sell. Krome did great with their port of Force Unleashed, Harmonix dropped a turd on Rock Band.

Ports of older games make sense, and that's where the Wii shines. Okami was junk on PS2. It's a freaking masterpiece on Wii. Hell, Wii make Defend Your Castle fun again (for another 5 minutes, at least). Dead Rising, if it works half as well as it should, will be brilliant.

I guess the best way to put it is:
Wii is primarily for Action Gamers.
Everything else is for Gaming Action.

Whichever spectrum (or overlapping spectrums) you fall under is where you should be investing your entertainment dollar.

And if you're investing in the Wii, unless you want to see a LOT of crap ports, might want to consider how much effort went into the port's production. Otherwise, developers will make a slew of garbage ports, and eventually, their Golden Goose will dry up. But if they feed it gems, it'll spread it's wings to fly.

Who made today "Wheezel's bad metaphor/allegory/whatever Day" today, anyhow? I blame the tax man. He cometh.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Rattrap wrote: As for Call of Duty 3, it being on the Wii didn't do anything for me, the combat was fun, but the quick-time events did not go down well. Its kind of infuriating when you can't figure out how exactly the game wants your waggling to register, when you have only several seconds to avoid dying.
True enough. I didn't say it was a great game ;) Just that it used Wii's specialness. War is hell. It adds realism!
Rumble
Decepticon Demolitions Expert

Post by Rumble »

Wheezel wrote: I bet this title would teach Rumble how to aim more precisely!
There is nothing wrong with my aim, I am a Decepticon! :lol:

Don't hate me just because I prefere to pick up a traditional controller! :D

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

I can't believe I thought Cassettes were the way of the future.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
S0und_wave

Post by S0und_wave »

Wheezel wrote:Bully. Call of Duty 3. Any other ported shooter that I'm not thinking of. Virtually any sports game, unless you're lazy.

Okami!

Resident Evil 4!
Can't compare with titles like: gears of war. call of duty 4,Fable 2, fallout 3, gears of war 2, (only 6 days), Left 4 Dead, Gta 4, Dead Space , well you get it.

there are two things that killed the wii to me
1.no HD graphics
2. Online play was utter crap
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

S0und_wave wrote:
Wheezel wrote:Bully. Call of Duty 3. Any other ported shooter that I'm not thinking of. Virtually any sports game, unless you're lazy.

Okami!

Resident Evil 4!
Can't compare with titles like: gears of war. call of duty 4,Fable 2, fallout 3, gears of war 2, (only 6 days), Left 4 Dead, Gta 4, Dead Space , well you get it.

there are two things that killed the wii to me
1.no HD graphics
2. Online play was utter crap
This isn't a "Which console do you prefer" thread. Of course, You CAN NOT compare those titles to what the Wii offers. It'd be like trying to compare "Robot Heroes" or "Heroes of Cybertron" with Mini-Cons, and saying the RH or HoC are inferior because they don't transform.

The games I listed were just ports that used Wii's "specialness". If you bought a Wii, hopefully you've already decided that you either want an alternative to unending complexity or super go fast eye melting HD graphical goodness.

And personally, I like Wii Online. Games play just fine with NO lag issues, AND I don't have to listen to 12 year olds cursing and talking in netspeak.
S0und_wave

Post by S0und_wave »

Wheezel wrote: AND I don't have to listen to 12 year olds cursing and talking in netspeak.
that I agree with :x
ghostinthemachine
Aerial Supreme Commander

Post by ghostinthemachine »

Resident Evil the Umbrella Chronicles is awesome
omegasupreme
Throttlebot

nerf n strike 4 wii

Post by omegasupreme »

hey the new game nerf n strike is so kool! u put the wii controller in to a space in the blaster and u take on missons. u also have a choice of over 25 different blasters to chose from. u need to check it out!!!

OS. 8)
Computron
Gestalt Super Warrior

Post by Computron »

The wii...
The console for the kiddies. Yes I have one but it is just blah. I have to admit that mario kart is sweet but I have my own little kart to drive to work every day, 1991 mini cooper(black w/ flames) on the great Italian roads. We have mario galaxy as well but I'd rather get the HI def system up on the HI def TV. I'm a 360 guy as well. I played COD3 on the wii and it was awful, controls were just horrid. Maybe it was because it was the first time playing the wii, or that COD3 was just that bad, I don't know. Didn't like COD3 for the 360 either. Not all the sports games require whole body movement. You can still sit on the couch and play just fine. Wait, some of the Wii fit games are fun to play. Wii sports Golf is the absolute worst. The controls are wack!!! I'll play Tiger Woods over that anyday.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

I still prefer my good old Gears of War 2! :twisted:
S0und_wave

Post by S0und_wave »

Okami!

Resident Evil 4!
call of duty 3, worst game in the call of duty series, and the graphics on resident evil look like your playing on a ps2. okanami came out over a year ago for the ps1.

compare it to gears of war 2, halo 3, fable 2 left 4 dead, fallout 3, call of duty 4, and 5 Ect.
Rodimus Prime
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Rodimus Prime »

S0und_wave wrote:compare it to gears of war 2, halo 3, fable 2 left 4 dead, fallout 3, call of duty 4, and 5 Ect.
It has been said before, this isn't about comparing the Wii to the PS3 or any other console.

Please lets not have this turn into the age old debate of my PS is better than your Nintendo.
S0und_wave

Post by S0und_wave »

Rodimus Prime wrote:
S0und_wave wrote:compare it to gears of war 2, halo 3, fable 2 left 4 dead, fallout 3, call of duty 4, and 5 Ect.
It has been said before, this isn't about comparing the Wii to the PS3 or any other console.

Please lets not have this turn into the age old debate of my PS is better than your Nintendo.
those are xbox360 games
Rumble
Decepticon Demolitions Expert

Post by Rumble »

Ah Soundwave, your missing the point I think. This thread has always been teetering on the edge of Wii bashing, but we need to remember that it is just a place to list Wii games that aren't poor ports or half-arsed attempts to jump on the motion control bandwagon. Have you played any games on the Wii that you could reccommend? I have probably said it before but I enjoy Mario Kart as well as Smash Bros, think they are 2 of the best on Wii that I have played.

Oh and not all of the above games are xbox 360, some are available on the PS3 also. :wink:

Rumble. (360 owner, btw :D )
R.I.P, Menasor.

I can't believe I thought Cassettes were the way of the future.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
S0und_wave

Post by S0und_wave »

All i can recommend is:
Zelda
Mario cart
Mario galaxies