Wii games that aren't utter garbage?

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Wii games that aren't utter garbage?

Post by Banzai-Tron »

My list so far:
Zelda
Super Mario Galaxy
No More Heroes
Zac and Wiki
Fire Emblem
Metroid
Super Paper Mario

That's it. Grrr... shovelware bites! (Except Zac and Wiki... it's like having a Unicorn in my living room! Shovelware, with class!)
Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

mario kart is decent too
The past is the greatest teacher
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

I can most assuredly add Guitar Hero World Tour to this list now. Wow. Just. Wow.
Rodimus Prime
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Rodimus Prime »

What about Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman?

I also second the vote for Mario Kart Wii.

What about Super Smash Bros Brawl?
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

Rockband is outstanding too.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

I played Brawl. I used to like fighters when I was younger. Oddly, Brawl did little for me.

I haven't played any Lego games for the Wii... but I tried Lego Star Wars for about 5 minutes on Xbox 360, and just couldn't get into it. Not my style, I guess.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Super Mario Smash Bros Brawl is ok in my opinion.

I totally agree with you on both Zelda and Mario Kart! Those are awesome games!
I also like Wii sports, and Wario Ware - Smooth Moves. The latter is quite silly, but really fun especially if you're watching someone else play.
Oh, and I almost forgot to add Resident Evil 4 to my list.
Octane
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Octane »

metroid prime 3?

3:
Conformers--Absolutely Nothing More Than Meets The Eye!

Giant robot stuff here: http://venomianbane-giantrobots.blogspot.com/
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

The WII version of Rock Band is outstanding, Rattrap? Really? I tend not to support companies that gimp out ports so obscenely. They didn't even try.
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I wanted to get the wii but cant get around the controller. Its uncomfortable and very stupid, but thats IMO. I know you can use the gamecube controller for the new Smash Brothers which I like, but most of the games are needing the remote and chuck. I wish they would have done something else. Its cool for the wii sports, but nothing else.
R.I.P. Menasor
Rumble
Decepticon Demolitions Expert

Post by Rumble »

I know what you are saying Dinobot. I find playing Mario Kart is only fun when I have the GC Controller plugged in. I am not a fan of motion controls.

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

I can't believe I thought Cassettes were the way of the future.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

I respectfully disagree. I had the same qualms at first... but you don't understand true gaming freedom until:

1) Your hands AREN'T tethered three inches from each other.

2) You can often play one-handed

3) You have a true FPS (with a light gun!) experience that's NOT on rails.

4) You sit down on the pot to save after slashing and piledriving your way through hundreds of thugs in No More Heroes. (As long as you can overlook the annoying coconut carrying bits.)

I'm probably leaving some other perks out. Once the "WiiMotion Plus" provides true one to one motion rendering, things are going to get REALLY fun! And I'm not even touching on the homebrewed stuff that's in the works ( http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/21/diy- ... w-heights/ )

So far, *most* games that could *really* use a standard controller, actually provide that option.
Last edited by Banzai-Tron on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumble

Post by Rumble »

Oh don't get me worng I understand that there can be benifits to the motion control (wii sports bowling is one of my favourites) I just like the more.... precise control offered by an analoge stick. At least I find it more precise. Just as an FYI, the Wii isn't mine, it belongs to my brother. I am a 360 man myself.

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

But.... you HAVE an analog stick in your left hand :D

If you're having an issue with precision pointing, I suggest using two candles instead of the silly infrared bar. Or spending time learning from a toddler ;)

I am, however, willing to entertain the argument that a PC mouse is more precise than both the WiiMote and a standard controller.

On a mostly unrelated note, THIS is quite possibly the greatest game trailer EVER: (Warning, possibly NSFW or children)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUD2sLE5rM
Rumble

Post by Rumble »

Touche Wheezel.

I don't know what it is but I guess it is just down to personal preferance at the end of the day. My brother can use the wii wheel no problems but I just find it cumbersome. I put it down to my upbringing on old school systems, and the fact that I am too stubborn to learn another control method when the tried and tested is available. :lol:
Wheezel wrote:I am, however, willing to entertain the argument that a PC mouse is more precise than both the WiiMote and a standard controller.
You and me both!

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

@Wheezel: I liked Rock Band for the Wii, primarily because I didn't have to shell out another $400 or $600 dollars to get a console to play it on. My brother already had a Wii for Metroid 3, and since the game play was exactly the same as it was on every other console (minus the GH3 Controllers being compatible), it was a good deal. If the point of the Wii is realism, there's not really anything more that could have been done with Rock Band, unless you would prefer to waggle some wii-motes around aimlessly instead of drumming on a rubber drum pad. It's as outstanding as any other port of the game, because its exactly the same.
Grimlock
Delicate, Loveable Dinobot

Post by Grimlock »

I think that the huge advantage is that while playing the Wii, a degree of physical movement is required, so rather than sitting on your butt, you can actually keep fit while playing a computer game ............ :D

I personally prefer the N64 controllers, but that is just me ....... :lol:

ME GRIMLOCK WANT TO MUNCH METAL
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Rattrap wrote:@Wheezel: I liked Rock Band for the Wii, primarily because I didn't have to shell out another $400 or $600 dollars to get a console to play it on. My brother already had a Wii for Metroid 3, and since the game play was exactly the same as it was on every other console (minus the GH3 Controllers being compatible), it was a good deal. If the point of the Wii is realism, there's not really anything more that could have been done with Rock Band, unless you would prefer to waggle some wii-motes around aimlessly instead of drumming on a rubber drum pad. It's as outstanding as any other port of the game, because its exactly the same.
Well, not quite. The Graphics and gameplay were all stripped down to PS2 level. So no custom characters and character movements, no digitally licensed content, a stripped out World Tour mode, no online 'shows'. In short, it lacks the style factor that made Rock Band what it was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a BAD game... I'm just saying that rather than make an honest to god port (which they were *perfectly* capable of doing) they cobbled something together VERY late. Rather than support their Laissez Faire attitude, I chose to wait for GHWT, which has ALL of those missing things, plus an extra drum AND an amazingly functional custom song editor. Oh, and some sort of hokey touch pad thingie on the guitar that I'm not very comfortable with, lol.

I guess the main point I was trying to get across is that one of the biggest dangers facing the Wii System as a whole is that it is SO popular, many developers are just throwing any old garbage out there, and just not caring, because people will buy it. And if that continues to happen truly great games are going to be stifled in favor of the quick buck.

Think of it like this:
A certain company (let's call this company Hasblow/Tarobya) produces novel transforming robots that sell like hotcakes.
Along comes company B (let's call them Bombdie) which make very similar transforming robots, at a reduced cost. Bombdie does this by cutting costs on the design team, omitting key elements like accessories, etc.

Meanwhile, Hasblow/Tarobya looks at it's declining profits, and realizes something must be done. So *they* start cutting costs. Die-Cast bodies become plastic. Intricate multipart weaponry gets replaced with large unwieldy weapons.

Then there's an economic downturn, and both companies fall on even tougher times. Bombdie tries to upscale their line, but their designers don't have much clue how to build a sexy robot. Hasblow/Takara can build sexy robots, but not with junk parts. So you get Parttenders and ummm.... errr... all those rare Gone-Bots nobody sees very often.

The public loses interest. Bombdie cuts bait and runs. Hasblow/Takara scales back even further, making janky little mini-bots and transforming outhouse/bases or somesuch nonsense, because the sparky little upstart GoLoot is raking in the dough with Micron Machinders. Next thing you know, *poof* the Tarnsfarmers and the Gone-Bots are no more, apart from some lame placeholders cranked out so that Hasblow/Tarobya (which recently acquired Bombdie's crappy engineers in a buyout) so that they don't lose there spot at SuperMegaLoToysRHotMart while they give the engineers time to make some REALLY sexy new breed Tarnsfarmers with extra flaky chrome goodness.

Or Something. I swear there was a metaphor/allegory buried in there somewhere when I started. Maybe I should just move it to the "farfetched halfarsed story" thread?
Grimlock
Delicate, Loveable Dinobot

Post by Grimlock »

time to make some REALLY sexy new breed Tarnsfarmers
I love that term, It is us to a tee ......... :lol:

Transfarmers,
Tractors in disguise ............. :lol:

ME GRIMLOCK WANT TO MUNCH METAL
S0und_wave
Decepticon Communications Officer

Post by S0und_wave »

I had wii, beat zelda though the rest of the games where kind of crappy, so I Sold it and now I am playing my xbox360. I agree with rumble 360 all the way! :D
(also i beat suppersmash bros brawl in a week so I didn't get much entertainment out of my wii)