Rattrap Explains Chemistry

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Rattrap Explains Chemistry

Post by Rattrap »

Snarl wrote:The only thing that I know about chemistry is what happens when you mix sulphuric acid with a strip of magnesium in the correct proportions.

( the science lab was my favourite place if I was at school )

Do you fancy explaining what happens ? :lol:
Would you mind refreshing my memory as to what they show happening? It should react with the Acid and bubble vigorously, producing a flammable vapor.

In that case, Magnesium reacts with the Sulfuric Acid to form Magnesium Sulfate and Hydrogen Gas. What happens is called an oxidation-reduction reaction, Magnesium looses electrons to the Hydrogen Ions. This occurs because Hydrogen is better at holding on to electrons than Magnesium. The non-ionic Hydrogen then reforms into Hydrogen Gas and bubbles out of the mixture. The newly ionized Magnesium is dissolved into the liquid, effectively forming dissolved Magnesium Sulfate with the Sulfate ion (from the Sulfuric Acid). If I remember right and you proportion it correctly, the force of the hydrogen bubbling is enough to float the magnesium on top of the solution, rather than it being submerged like in regular reactions. Some classes even capture the Hydrogen Gas and light it on fire for added effect.

I believe that's the reaction you're talking about, I may be mistaken and feel free to correct me or ask for further details. This reaction is a fun one, but not quite as impressive as Sulfuric Acid and Sucrose.
Grimlock
Delicate, Loveable Dinobot

Post by Grimlock »

That is correct, but in my wisdom, I just lit the end of the tube. :oops:
Rather than trying to capture the gas.

ME GRIMLOCK WANT TO MUNCH METAL
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

Sounds like a lot of fun. So is the livestock water additive a NPN additive?
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Re: Rattrap Explains Chemistry

Post by Roar »

Rattrap wrote: This reaction is a fun one, but not quite as impressive as Sulfuric Acid and Sucrose.

Who wouldn't love a big old column of carbon?

As I mentioned in the bad Chinese candy thread I am earnestly hoping that you will explain why what Time Traveller called a "filler" makes clear plastics stonger.

Ususally when you see the word filler...... you can expect lips, hearts and fat to be involved.

Me, Grimlock, say YUM!Image

:D
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

Did i just read the explaination for FARTS? :shock:
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

Transformers are made from a variety of plastics (5 primary types). Different plastics are used for different parts to play to that plastic's strength. Now the clear plastic used for Transformer toys is a type of Polycarbonate, which are the plastics that are usually used for anything clear. Bullet proof glass is made from Polycarbonates, as is the F-22 Raptor canopy, but strong Polycarbonates are expensive to make. So most toys use cheaper Polycarbonates, with lower melting points. The lower melting point means that the internal molecular bonds have to be weaker. In addition, there's not much branching within the polymer.

The main body plastic in Transformers is Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene. Its a blend of Polybutadiene, Styrene, and Acrylonitrile, and incorporates the strengths of each. The end result is long chains of Polybutadiene, with branches of the Styrene and Acrylonitrile connecting these chains. Polybutadiene is extremely tough and rubbery on its own, by adding the hard strength of Polystrene and the binding properties of Acrylonitrile you get one of the best available plastics on the market. Not only is it remarkably strong, its affordable and recyclable.

The main component of Polymer strength is directly due to the branching within the polymer, which is basically the number of intermolecular bonds. The other portion is the strength of those bonds. Polycarbonates have fewer branches and weaker bonds than ABS plastics in general, making them significantly weaker. In addition, ABS does not suffer from brittleness, like Polycarbonates do.

So in fact, clear plastic is not weak due to a lack of filler, its weaker due to the fact that its an entirely different kind of plastic. If anything is unclear, feel free to ask for clarification or other follow-up questions.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

so, have you ever made any TF figure molds or any accessories?
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

Oooooh that would be cool :D

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

galvatron wrote:so, have you ever made any TF figure molds or any accessories?
I wish. If I end up taking my focus in Polymers, I could very well end up working for Hasbro one day (I wonder if I could get a discount on TFs). Unfortunately, until then any attempt at making a TF part would probably end with a fire.
Grimlock
Delicate, Loveable Dinobot

Post by Grimlock »

Sounds like Derrick in the kitchen :lol:

ME GRIMLOCK WANT TO MUNCH METAL
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

good old kitchen fires ay :P you should give it a go anyway Rattrap :D

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
S0und_wave
Decepticon Communications Officer

Re: Rattrap Explains Chemistry

Post by S0und_wave »

Roar wrote:
Me, Grimlock, say YUM!Image

:D
lol that's classic
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

I am not sure of the exact ingredients of the additive i use it because it is supposed to prevent digestive problems within the cows system a sort of stabilizer if you will
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Rattrap wrote: I wish. If I end up taking my focus in Polymers, I could very well end up working for Hasbro one day (I wonder if I could get a discount on TFs). Unfortunately, until then any attempt at making a TF part would probably end with a fire.
To hell with discounts, we're going to expect "Lunchtime Specials", Rattrap!