Motor racing at THIS speed?

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Crankshaft
Targetmaster

Motor racing at THIS speed?

Post by Crankshaft »

When and how do you think racing like this will be possible? I know F-Zero GX was set in the 2560s, but when and how do YOU think motor racing will be possible at that speed?

All I can come up with is highly advanced maglev technology since it's one we already have. If, for example, we take the same method applied to maglev train tracks, but the track's made 80 feet wide and 15 km long in total. The vehicle is something like a Formula 1 car or cabin motorcycle, but the wheels are magnetized disks, and the opposite polarity of the track to keep them levitated. To keep them from floating away the vehicles have something that weighs them down by a certain amount, but not too much so that it doesn't cost too much extra power to stay hovering. Make them rocket powered, steerable by shifting their weight left or right with the steering wheel, and we've got our own form of motor racing akin to F-Zero. :D

It'd all happen in at least 120 years, give or take a few.

So what are your thoughts on how and when it will happen?[/url]
Optimus: Transfuhm und uttuhk!!

Bumblebee: What did you say?

Optimus: *takes down faceplate* I said transform and attack!!
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I won't be alive to see it come to fruition but it's definitely not going to happen unless safety regulations can prevent fatalities in the case of a crash. Part of Nascars appeal/success is everyday drivers being able to relate to the make and model of the vehicle (not just the driver) and there are quite a few vehicles on the road today that have speed capabilities similar to those on the track. I for one don't want to share roadways with vehicles that travel at "F-Zero GX" speeds until I have seen a driver or two walk away from some serious head on collisions.
Crankshaft
Targetmaster

Post by Crankshaft »

Roadbuster wrote:I won't be alive to see it come to fruition but it's definitely not going to happen unless safety regulations can prevent fatalities in the case of a crash. Part of Nascars appeal/success is everyday drivers being able to relate to the make and model of the vehicle (not just the driver) and there are quite a few vehicles on the road today that have speed capabilities similar to those on the track. I for one don't want to share roadways with vehicles that travel at "F-Zero GX" speeds until I have seen a driver or two walk away from some serious head on collisions.
Well we don't share roadways with racecars today anyway. :P

Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I bet to differ. Shelby Supercars Ultimate Aero (yes it is street legal) posts speeds of up to 257 mph and is aerodynamically stable at speeds up to 273 mph. True, there aren't many of these on the roads but the point is they are available to the general public and are street legal.
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

also all but indy cars have a basis in stock model cars.

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
Crankshaft
Targetmaster

Post by Crankshaft »

Another thing I need to ask is do we need racing to be as fast as F-Zero? Wouldn't that make the racers too hard for the audience to keep track of?

Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

As long as the crashes were spectacular I'd watch. That's the only way Nascar gets my attention now. :lol: As long as they didn't double the lap count car speeds as fast as F-Zero would make the race times shorter and perhaps more bearable to watch from start to finish.
Crankshaft
Targetmaster

Post by Crankshaft »

Roadbuster wrote:As long as the crashes were spectacular I'd watch. That's the only way Nascar gets my attention now. :lol: As long as they didn't double the lap count car speeds as fast as F-Zero would make the race times shorter and perhaps more bearable to watch from start to finish.
What if each vehicle in a race that fast had a camera attached to the front, transferring the footage they see, via radio waves, to a large monitor back in the starting area for the audience to watch the action on. The technical staff of the track occasionally switch between cameras for different moments of the race.

Also, since the races would be shorter than NASCAR then they could put more races in one day at the tack. :)

In regards to crashes, the drivers would be required to wear special ejector packs that launch them from the driver's seat upon impact, allowing them to parachute safely away from the track.

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Bumblebee wrote:also all but indy cars have a basis in stock model cars.
Not really, I'm afraid. Really, the only production based race cars now are World Rally Championship cars. Some GT cars have production brethren, but they're usually designed as GT racer first and made production legal later.
Crankshaft
Targetmaster

Post by Crankshaft »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUumoaux ... re=related

Is that a realistic depiction of auto racing above 400 km/h? I know it's science fiction, but still.