Dear Even Hanson (2021) Maggy's Movie Reviews.

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Dear Even Hanson (2021) Maggy's Movie Reviews.

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Imagine if you will, a small town community is rocked when a young man from a well to do family (Connor) decides to end end his life. He seemingly had no motivation for this action, and had in no way signaled this was going to happen.

In fact, the only thing that is found is a letter to Evan Hanson, a very isolated high school sophomore, telling Evan to do the things that Connor himself seemingly could not.

From there Evan inserts himself into the Connor's family and life, rising to popularity. It is as if Connor's death and the discovery of the note (which is revealed to have been written by Evan himself), was the best thing that ever happened to Evan. It is even worse because Connor and Evan had only ever had one 30 second conversation that ended with Connor angry at Evan.

Sounds like the perfect set up for a suspense thriller, right?

Nope. This is supposed to be one of those inspirational coming of age story that tries to have "a Frank discussion" about mental health struggles.

Now, this could be a comedy, especially as the main character, a 15 year old, is played by an actor that is damn near 40. But nope, it is supposed to be uplifting and feel good.

This movie is ridiculous. It is a steaming pile. I hope it fades into obscurity, but it is probably going to become one of those cult classics like The Room.

Why?

Because it is also a musical. No one warned me this was going to be a musical. The main character breaks into song about once every 10 minutes.

This movie is roll your eyes bad. Had it been a thriller/suspense film, it is an interesting premise. As is, it is just a groaner. Not so bad it's good. Just bad.

Hopefully the movie makes enough that the guy playing Evan can afford some arch supports and metamucil. Other than that, I hope it disappears.

I normally invite further discussion, and welcome your thoughts, but i will not be participating as i want to forget this one.