Ghostbusters Afterlife (2021)- Maggy's Movie Reviews.

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Ghostbusters Afterlife (2021)- Maggy's Movie Reviews.

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Disclosure:

I am a Ghostchaser. I have spent well over $3000 on a screen accurate Jumpsuit, Proton pack, and Utility belt (most items on the belt are vintage and operational). Ghostbusters (1984) is probably my favorite film of all time. With good reason. They actually teach college courses on how it is a "perfect film." So, the following review should be viewed through that lens, as I have very strong feelings about a franchise that had exactly 2 film releases to date (and a very well made video game from 2009 as well as two acceptable cartoon variants). Exactly 2 films previous to Afterlife. Any rumors regarding one in the last decade, prior to Afterlife are pure fiction. Exactly like The Last Airbender, there had not been a live action film release after Ghostbuster 2 until now.

Enough preamble. So, how did they do?

Remember when they were talking about making a movie (which NEVER GOT MADE) around five years ago? Pretty much the entirety of anyone that had ever even heard of Ghostbusters said "Yeah, just hand it off to the next generation with the blessing of the previous continuity and actors, and remember the tone." You know, like have the kids (or grandkids) of one or more of the original characters... or even their students... take up the gear and carry on the mission. Make it a horror/make-your-own-way-in-this-difficult-world film first and have a couple of wise asses in it for flavor. You do not go for laughs and lazily try to add plot. You have a plot and sprinkle humor in it (but try not to overdo it like "2").

From the beginning of this film until the end, every bit of that spirit is honored. While some may say, "They just did the first one over again," and that would be fair; it is heavily explained in universe how/why that would happen. However, they also did it with loving tribute, utmost reverence, and a few twists. They took lines from the original and followed threw on them. They actually made the case for the original a bit more plausible (shush... I know.... ghosts don't real unless you are Dan Akroyd).

This movie made me laugh (though admittedly, I was laughing a lot harder than a lot of the theater was for the science/geometry jokes). This movie made me cry (though admittedly, I also cry at Ghostbusters 2 every single time at the Statue of Liberty scene, as it is just soooooo beautiful... that symbol of hope when things seemed so dark). This movie made me like I was home again. It deals with a lot of harsh realities and serious subject in a realistic way. Grief/loss/abandonment are heavy themes in this film.

Okay, so there is one five minute "Ewoks" scene.... but it is not Minions. People are going to say it is Minions. But, it is so not Minion. But, it is pretty Ewoks.

Elephant in the Room. Finn "I'm in every fucking movie" Wolfhard. He is definitely not the same character. He is still a bit of a lovable loser, but not in any of the same ways as Mike. His character is very grounded, ad is also mostly off to the side. He does have some screen time, but thankfully he is absolutely not the center of the film. Could someone else have played the character? Sure. Maybe. Does the film suffer from him being in it? No. Surprisingly, he adds to the film in a lot of ways.

As someone that loves the first film, and has since I saw it on initial release at the age of 10... that loves "2" but in a "okay, you guys got to cash in. That's cool" kind of way.... and that has been waiting 30 years for a third Ghostbusters theatrical release... WE GOT ONE!!!!!!

This movie was amazing. I loved it. I plan on going again throughout the weekend. I am going with two other groups, an on a separate date.

This is my first post-COVID in theater rewatch. And I am going to take it in as many times as possible until No Way Home is released.

I honestly cannot think of an unwanted moment in this movie (even the "Ewoks" scene was just long enough to put a couple toys on shelves and did not overstay its welcome). Is it a perfect film as many consider the first? I cannot answer that right now. Time will tell.

It is, however, the perfect addition to the franchise.

See it. See it now. See it often. And go buy some toys. We need to support movies like this one. It is not a senseless cash-grab hollowly using existing properties to churn out a paycheck. It is a universe expansion.

And once you have done that, come back here and leave your thoughts. Feel free to call me a biased idiot. Or, tell me how much you loved it as well. I am eager to see your comments below.

NOTE: There is a mid credits scene and a post credits scene. Make sure to watch both. They are wonderful.