Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night (2021)-Maggy's Movie Reviews

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night (2021)-Maggy's Movie Reviews

Post by Ultra Magnus »

So, if you have not ever seen an episode of Sword Art Online, where have you been? But, even if you have never seen an episode, you can still watch this film and have a great time. After all, it really only tells the story of the first two episode from the point of view of another character. The runtime is the equivalent of 4 episodes, and takes time to actually look more into what it would be like for someone with almost no gaming experience to be stuck in the online world of a VR MMO where if you a killed in game, or try to log out, you die.

So, for those of you that are familiar, this is the story of the first floor of the game from the eyes of wiafu number 1, Asuna. She is talked into trying out the game by a friend (and the only person that can outperform her in the academic world). She really isn't good at games, and has never really even heard of an MMO (let alone a deep dive VR one). She figures she will borrow the VR rig of her brother that is off at school, and try it out in order to blow off some steam. Within moments of logging in, she makes every n00b mistake (such as accidentally doxxing her friend by asking everyone if they have seen the girl by using her real name!). When the reality of the situation sets in, she either has to get serious about survival or she is toast.

The majority of the movie is all new content, revolving on Asuna, but there are also new takes on familiar scenes. The most refreshing part, is Kirito only has about 20 minutes of screen time (and as opposed to the most recent season, when he is not on screen, they can actually manage to go for more than ten seconds without talking about him). After the most recent addition to the Alicization storyline, I am absolutely down for Kirito free moments that amount to something. Seriously, I thought I was watching Dragonball Z with all of the "No one can beat me!" ... "Oh, yeah, wait until Kirito (Goku) gets here!" SMDH!!!

While I am interested in where the twists from the end of the most recent season will take the story, I absolutely needed some fresh air in this universe. This movie delivers. With this addition to the lore, some scenes from the main series have more depth. For instance, the "Beater" speech actually sort of nakes sense. As was, it really seemed out of character

I highly support and recommend these alternate trips into the universe. Now, if only they would continue the expanded Gun Gale storyline I would be really happy. I could watch Lenne and Fukaziroh blow shit up all day.

To sum up, for those familiar with the series, this is some great additional flavor. For those not, is is actually a decent starting point.... Except for TT. Anime tropes galore, my friend.

If you have thoughts on this film, or SAO in general, I welcome your comments below.