The King's Man (2021)- Maggy's Movie Reviews

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

The King's Man (2021)- Maggy's Movie Reviews

Post by Ultra Magnus »

So, the Kingsman series kind of hit a wall with them blowing everything up and going way over the top in the last film. Where to now? A prequel, naturally!

Instead of present day, we are transported back to the events leading up to and during the first World War. A father and son that have devoted their lives to service find themselves caught up in the events and try to find their place in bringing an end to the war. Though their goals are the same, their methods differ wildly. Often frustrated by his father's seeming inaction, the son lashes out often. Eventually the father allows the son in on the secret of the network of spies that have been put into place and invites the son onto a mission to stop Rasputin's plot to remove Russia from the war.

So, the important question. How does it hold up compared to the rest of the series? Well, it is different.

Whereas the first two are heavily humorous and rather cartoony, this film is more grim. While still visually stunning, the tone is darker and the humor is much more dry. That is not to say there are not cartoonish moments. That is not to say that their is not as much poking at important cultural issues. It is just that this movie is not as slapstick and quippy. There are some very ridiculous moments, but it is hard to separate those from how high the stakes are. Yes, Rasputin is weird, and his actions are silly in some places, but he is still a definite threat at every moment.

This movie will take turns that you will not expect. This movie will surprise you with some of its developments. This movie will make you roll your eyes at the "ruling class." But it will not make you belly laugh like previous installments may have.

The action is superb. The story is solid. The cinematography is top notch, and still stylized.

If you are a fan of the series, you should enjoy it, but remember that they left some of the silliness outside. If you have never seen any of the films in the series, it is still a very enjoyable film on its own.

My personal thoughts are give it a try either way. I found it to be an enjoyable ride.... just not quite what I was expecting going in.

I would love to hear someone else's thoughts on it, so please comment below if you have seen the film.

My next review will probably be posted here later today. Nightmare Alley. I have no plans on seeing another Matrix movie.