Death on the Nile (2022)- Maggy's Movie Reviews.

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Death on the Nile (2022)- Maggy's Movie Reviews.

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Okay....

Where to start....
I have always enjoyed the Poirot character. I have always enjoyed Christie's mysteries. You have Marple for the cozy tales, and You Have Poirot for those grand scale tales that proves Holmes could have been written in a way where you are given everything you need to solve the tale, but still have the mystery be difficult. And there is no shortage of media on the matter. Poirot has hit the large and small screen repeatedly since his creation. So, how does Branagh do in his second outing with the character?

First, let me say that if you want to know if you have any chance of liking this film, go back and watch the 2017 Murder on the Orient Express. If you enjoyed that, then you should really enjoy this one. This one has bolder locales (mostly digital, but beautifully digital), and the setting is brighter and more cheerful throughout. Well, that is true except for the opening. The opening of the film is a bit of backstory flavor that does fit the film universe... but is not in line with the original stories. The opening is not bad. But it does give you an origin story for an important item. But, the feel of this movie is very in line with MotOE. Similar to that film, a couple of characters are fleshed out (not massively changed, just things that go unspoken in the original book get flavor), and a couple of characters are changed completely to help there be a through-line in this cinematic universe.

How did they treat the mystery? Well, one of the victims is changed in a way that gives the story a bit more depth and avoid a bit of problematic behavior. However, every beat of the story matches up. There is an issue where Poirot is in the background of scenes he otherwise would not have been (so no one had to fill him in on those conversations)m but considering his role on the boat, that made more sense anyway.

The movie is grandiose, and pretty. The movie is well structured, and streamlined. The movie is interesting and clever (though no one else in the mostly empty theater was laughing). But, it also may seem boring if this is not your cup of tea. Only one murder happens on screen. This is not an action film. It is just a beautiful one with minor changes to the source material to suit the medium and more modern sensibilities (if you can ignore the scandals of the two biggest names in male co-stars).

I say that if you liked the first, see it in cinemas. If you like the original author, see it in cinemas. If you are looking for sex and violence outside of referencing events off screen, see something else in the cinema.