Foo Fighters Present: Studio 666 (2022)- Maggy's Movie Reviews

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Foo Fighters Present: Studio 666 (2022)- Maggy's Movie Reviews

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Over the years many bands have produced and starred in movies where they play themselves in a fictional setting. The Beatles made Help! and A Hard Day's Night. The Spice Girls made Spice World. The Digital Underground made Nothing but Trouble. And now Foo Fighters have made this fat turkey.

Look. This is not Citizen Cain. This is Dave Grohl and his band having fun with cameras and B-Grade comedians (those that have had their own sitcoms or projects, but don't really have anything really stick. they show up everywhere, do their scenes, and go home). It is about a band that goes to a haunted house to record a new album, and the main dude sells his soul to overcome his writer's block so the band can finally deliver their 10th album.

Why is the house haunted? Another band was trying to record in the mid nineties when the lead singer flipped out and killed himself,but not before he killed the band. Should Dave Grohl be writing that? Meh, this movie is full of dark humor, and if it helps with his healing process, leave him be.

I went into this movie knowing Foo Fighters was Dave Grohl's band after Nirvana, and they made the song Everlong. I knew there were a couple of other guys, and maybe the movie would help me learn something about them. I left this movie knowing that Dave Grohl is in Foo Fighters with maybe 5 other dudes that I think I somehow know less about than I went in, and they play the song Everlong.

But, along the way, I had a couple of laughs, saw some brutal kills, and it did not completely suck. However, I should give you a few pluses and minuses, as in this one, for every plus there also seems to be a minus.

Make up and effects: The haunting of the house is pretty much people in black skin tight suits with off the shelf Party City Halloween masks, a couple of LED's in the mouth and eyes, and a very old and familiar black smoke effect coming off of them. However, the kills are brutal and detailed, and gory. Some of them quite original while others clearly evoke kills of horror movies past. So, save for the final boss for a few seconds, the monsters don't even look like they are out of Scooby Doo.

Dave Grohl: He wrote this thing, and made himself very much the star so we don't really get to know the other guys. On the flip side, he is funny and does a really good job of playing a Prima Donna.

Bog standard script: The story is very evocative of others in the slasher genre. However, it is also a comedy, and everyone on set seems to be having a blast.

Do I recommend it? Wait for when it hits your streaming service. This movie seems to have been made for streaming, but was released to theaters due to name recognition and the fact that they might have picked up a couple of bucks with an R rated horror when people possibly protested against the effing guy from twilight playing Batman (and the only R rated film in my local cineplex this week). It was a gamble... and based on the fact that I went to the 10 PM show and was the only person in the theater on a Saturday night during its second weekend.... probably not. But that is okay! I have an unlimited pass. The only downside is that I wish I was under the influence when watching it, because it is that kind of movie.

So, wait for it, get blazed, and have a good time.

DISCLAIMER: My views, in no way, reflect the of the views of the entirety of the TFL Administration team. Please consume herbal refreshments only if you are in an area and if you are of an age where such activities are considered legal. Please consume responsibly, and in the safety of your own home.