U.M.'s gripe of the day

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Are you serious? *knowing... HOPING... full well that he's not*
Rodimus Prime
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Rodimus Prime »

Arcee wrote:
Ultra Magnus wrote:My youngest has another hit with the popular response to a request to stop being so sarcastic. He will respond, “Oh, I am soooo sarcastic.”
Hey Rodimus, does this remind you of anything? :wink:
Oh sure!

Like I so know how to be sarcastic!
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

It's a bit like saying
'I really like the G1 megatrons robot mode it looks great, just like the cartoon'

Ha ha ha.
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Time Traveller wrote:Are you serious? *knowing... HOPING... full well that he's not*
Tell you what, if we ever do meet in person, I am dog gone sure that I am not going to let you check!!! ;)
Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

Rodimus Prime wrote:Oh sure!

Like I so know how to be sarcastic!
LOLOL, yes! You are "the awesome." :lol:
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Ok, sorry for the late submission, got caught up in a political rights chat room.

BTW, I want to take a quick moment to pat myself on the back for for not bringing up politics once in this gripe thread's histroy.

So, while I was in this room, quite a few of us noticed there was this one guy that was making these really weird comments that had nothing to do with what we were talking about. Sure he would drop a name every here or thre to give it the theme, but really this guy was trying to be seen more than anything. We started pm'ing each other with things like "Huh, what is he saying?" And no matter how many times we tried to start a construictive topic, this guy just butted in say the most random stuff.

There were even times when no one would respond to his nonsense. He would just question why nobody was talking to him, in a way that made you feel he was maybe a danger to himself and others.

The other thing was that he was entering the conversation about 3 or 4 times as often as the most vocal folks in the room. Only about 10% of his comments made sense at all.

I am thinking he cared about what we were talking about, at heart, but is just so starved for attention that he did not give a crap about anyone else having to read what he said. Either that or he was too stupid to understand that his comments were unwelcome.

Unfortunately the room did not have an ignore feature (I am sure because there has never been a spam attack like that before). I stayed around because I was trying to learn something, and some of the folks in the room are pretty good people that I want to here from. Finally I vacated going to another room with a few of the others but I was still missing out on what I was sure to be good convo with those left behind.

I really am feeling bit sorry for the guy. Does he just not understand how annoying he is? Does he mean to be a flaming douche? Or was he sent from the other party to split up our "good times"? Either way, all he is saying is that he needs his diaper changed, as my kids (as young as they are) know that is not the way to hold a discussion.

Can anyone here help me understand this type of griefer (whether intentional or not)?
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

New day. New Gripe.

The Patron Saints of TV

By "Patron Saint" I mean the characters that are put into what are otherwise cool concept to simply (in my opinion) patronize the viewers. As TF fans are here, I will point out Wheelie and Daniel as examples. These characters were invented to appeal to an even younger audience than the show already drew. This annoyed many older fans, and most of the younger kids, wondered why these too were so extremely silly. After all, why are two kids running around unsupervised in the middle of intergalactic civil war? It is the opinion of many that this is the main reason the show did not continue after the third season. I believe it was even mentioned in a commentary out there, that most fans felt betrayed, as Spike was always such a great "big brother" character to emulate, and Daniel was just a dork.

Wheelie however is not the only one out there. For instance, T-bot and Matt Tracker's son from M.A.S.K. became an unnecessary focal point for the show. The villains in that show were comic relief enough that kids did not need to be pandered to any more than was already there. However, for some reason the makers of this cartoon felt it necessary to include a snotnose, and a talking trashcan nanny (That had the programmed common sense of a 3 year old). Ugh!

Even the Star Trek serieses (What is the plural of series?), are guilty. As the primary demographic was teenage males, they added Wesley Crusher in The Next Generation. No Star Trek character was ever that despised as Wesley, as every episode became about him! This was only topped in that franchise by the addition of Seven of Nine to Voyager. “If teenage boys don’t want a teenage dork to relate to, lets’ give them huge boobs and skin tight uniforms as the focal point of every episode!” was seemingly the train of thought for the producers.

What happened to writing shows well, and trying to attract an audience? Why do these guys not understand what kids (or anybody for that matter) want in the form of entertainment? Even George Lucas decided to almost destroy an Empire with that jackass Jar Jar.

Listen, Hollywood just needs to give me a show that is worth watching, not some way to merchandize another plush doll.
Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

You know, Jar Jar has been mentioned on this board waaaayyyy too many times for my liking. :wink: You make an excellent point, though. And even in the rare times where you find a show or cartoon that's done well, don't be surprised when it gets cancelled even if the ratings are
good--I point you toward X-Men: Evolution.

Also, I believe the plural of "series" is, in fact, "series."
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Well, G.I.Joe was a great show (for it's time) and it never resorted to these tricks. Of course on Inspector Gadget, this kind of trick was the plot (I guess it was the exception that proved the rule).

I know why X-men: Evolution had bad ratings, but I am afraid to mention it in front of you, Arcee. :P
Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

Actually I was saying that it didn't have bad ratings, not at all. But it aired on the WB, which owns DC Comics, so as soon as a Marvel property started getting popular on their channel they nixed it.

Just like DC to play dirty. :P
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Here we go, the entire comics conspiracy theory thing...

Even as I sit here knowing full well that man has never landed on the moon, I find that difficult to believe. ;)
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Today's gripe.

What is the point of Cartoon network showing live action movies?

Cartoon Network, owned by Ted Turner, has the rights to an amazing library of cartoons. It has stopped showing many of them, in support of newer, or even Cartoon Network exclusive programming. Even though they made a seperate channel for many of the older show, like the Flinstones, and Bugs Bunny, and lord knows more Scooby Doo than one can handle, there are multiple cartoons that just don't reach the air any longer.

So, on this past Sunday morning CN aired Angels in the Outfield, and Jumangi. These two movies are on TBS at least once a month as is, already. So WTF happened to all toons all of the time?

Why not play the cartoons hat are already owned by the network, but never shown. Where is my Huckleberry Hound? How about some Laugh-a-lympics? Two Stupid Dogs could use a revival, as well as the Herculoids, and Space Ghost!!! I will even settle for some Cartoon Planet because I have not heard "Hello, my name is BRAK!" in long enough, that it would be funny again (even without the chemical stimulation that made it funny 10 years ago ;) ).

I am the crazy one here, or would this make sense?
Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

The bull**** thing about it, too, is that all those old cartoons you mentioned are now played on Boomerang, which you have to actually subscribe to in order to get. We have a satellite dish that gets some of the dumbest, most obscure channels, yet we don't get Boomerang. Though it still shows up on the on-screen guide, thereby teasing me and saying "Look at all the cool stuff I'm airing right now that you can't watch!" :evil:
Rodimus Prime

Post by Rodimus Prime »

Mags, with that post you hit it out of the park!! It was such a good hit you deserve a rookie card all to yourself, so here ya go!

Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Blue? I already have about 7 of those. Do you have a Wilt? ;)
Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

LOL. I <3 Wilt! :D
Rodimus Prime

Post by Rodimus Prime »

Ultra Magnus wrote:Blue? I already have about 7 of those. Do you have a Wilt? ;)
no but I have this....

collect the whole set at..

http://www.fosters-home.com/comiccon2006/cococards.htm
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

I don't know why, but I am very much in a If You Give a Mouse a Cookie mood today.

Of course, you could probably tell that already.
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Ok, my engines are revved up again.

Today's topic: Soda will KILL YOU!!

So, I was watching the news this morning, and found out that soda leads to heart problems. I also already had heard that soda causes cancer, and the Aspartame in diet soda's will cause neurological disorders. Then my wife reminded me that we had heard this same story before, they just added a new interview at the end. And to be honest, I did remember stories like this one thathad been replayed as well.

It seems that whenever the news day is somewhat slow, there seem to be hundreds of "It can kll you" stories around. That way they can advertise the upcoming story of "Shocking news"

You know, there is a war going on, and some questionable activities in our highest level of gonvernment, but I can barely get 30 seconds of these actions. But Soda's fill up 5 minutes of my 30 minute news show?

Sure, it is important to know that items in our everyday lives are potential dangerous. In fact it should just be understood as a given. but why not report NEWS as it is happening, instead of scare stories. I know they want ratings, but I believe the ratings would be better if they actually delivered NEWS!

As far as things that will give you cancer, even sex will give cancer. Too much sex can give you cancer, too little sex will give you cancer, thinking about sex will give you cancer. Why don't they play the story on the news that tells us exactly how much sex is the right amount. I would TiVo that story and play it whenever my wife has a headache!!!! After all, we are talking about saving lives here. ;)

I reall think this entire "news shows fighting for ratings" thing is a self feeding beast. Sure at first, there was a little edge over the competition, but now it is so far off base, that the news show that actually tells the news would be a bright new concept that attracts viewers. Of course, I may be crazy, but that is what I want to watch
Dinobot 1

Post by Dinobot 1 »

no one wants to watch the news just to see the same thing over and over again everyday, thats why its NEWs not OLDs lol