The Third Mode

Come here to ask anything about the Transformers storyline, character bios, and more!
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

The Third Mode

Post by Countdown »

I am curious about the history of the third mode in some transformers. I am not talking about triplechangers. I am talking about characters like Onslaught & Scattershot.

They each have a third mode "that is halted inbetween transformations." Both have what they call a base mode. And, I know there are others who have that third mode - Perceptor for example can become some sort of tank.

Onslaught appears to be a mobile base since it can still roll, and vehicles can roll up onto him.

Scattershot appears to be some sort of artillery platform in his base mode.

My question is along the lines of: Has any of these third modes been used in TF lore? - ie: the comics, the g1 series, some other medium?

Curiosity got the better of me. Just wondering why they have them if they don't really advertise that third mode.
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

Onslaught, Motormaster, Silverbolt, and Hot Spot all have base modes that hook up to Trypticon and Metroplex. I believe that feature was advertised in Japan only, but I don't think it ever made it into any fiction.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Thanks for replying! Will try to find info on silverbolts base mode and see how it hooks up to my metroplex.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I'll tell ya how to do it.

Flip his legs down and make them like you're making superion. see how the grooves on top of his legs lock the wings in place? flip down the weird jackstand looking thing out of his cockpit. See how it fits in those rectangular holes on metro's knees? Attach Silverbolt's ramp to his crotch. See how that middle red slider on his chest could launch cars if it had a spring?
Overlord
City Commander

Re: The Third Mode

Post by Overlord »

Countdown wrote:I am curious about the history of the third mode in some transformers. I am not talking about triplechangers. I am talking about characters like Onslaught & Scattershot.

They each have a third mode "that is halted inbetween transformations." Both have what they call a base mode. And, I know there are others who have that third mode - Perceptor for example can become some sort of tank.

Onslaught appears to be a mobile base since it can still roll, and vehicles can roll up onto him.

Scattershot appears to be some sort of artillery platform in his base mode.

My question is along the lines of: Has any of these third modes been used in TF lore? - ie: the comics, the g1 series, some other medium?

Curiosity got the better of me. Just wondering why they have them if they don't really advertise that third mode.
Perceptor's "mobile lab" mode was featured for a split second in a season 2 episode i believe. I think it's the one where they shrink down in size and invade megatron on the microbe level. It may not be the exact episode but i recall seeing it...as i watched the episode in question last year.

i've also seen hung-grr having some ridiculous looking repair bay mode. i think it's in the japanese instructions. i haven't seen it in a while....and it maaaaaaaaay have been featured for a brief split second in the japanese headmasters cartoon.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Thanks for all the replys. Interesting stuff (at least to me)! :P
johnnetee
Minispy

Post by johnnetee »

In the Trypticon instructions it shows how you can connect both Onslaught and Motormaster to the little grey L shaped pieces that fit under Trypticons legs when they're extended out in the base mode. Onslaughts head has a rectangular shape that fits into the rectangular hole on the "L" connector. I forget how Motormaster connects. I will look it up when I find my Trypticon instructions. Or you can check out Botch the Crabs website. He has every instruction booklet and techspecs for the G1 figures on his site.

In the G1 cartoon series, Scattershot transforms into this third mode for a second to shoot down Cutthroat I believe in an episode called Grimlocks New Brain - I think that's the name of the episode. Grimlock essentially takes the knowledge of Unicron and becomes a genius. He then builds the Technobots to use total logic to counter and defeat Abominus' total lack thereof.