Watchmen?

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

meeshabot
City Commander

Watchmen?

Post by meeshabot »

Did anyone see, or is going to see the Watchmen? I always thought that the Silk Spectre looked so frumpy, but they made her look hot as hell. That was pretty much my only litmus test for the movie. I think I'm going to go see it tonight. I would love to hear everyone's opinions.
Piranacon
Undersea Warrior

Post by Piranacon »

going to go see it tomorrow afternoon with a group of friends i shall report back my findings

Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Saw a 9:55 AM showing.

I loved it.

It is extremely graphic.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES THINK THIS ONE IS OKAY FOR THE KIDS!!!!!

If you have read the book, you should be pleased.

If you have not read, the book, I cannot tell you what you will think, but do not expect a popcorn flick, by any means. This is no Batman.

The folks that were in the theater, that did not seem to be the type to read comics (I can only tell by stereotypes), did not seemed at all displeased, but did seem to have had their minds blown.

I cannot say enough good stuff about this film, but I have always loved the book.
HailStorm
Powermaster

Post by HailStorm »

After some of the reviews and from what others have told me about the movie, I think I might pass on it, or wait until DVD.
meeshabot
City Commander

Post by meeshabot »

Who do you think you're talking to? Of course I've read the book. Can't wait!
Ironhide
Original Oldskool 'Bot

Post by Ironhide »

Ultra Magnus wrote: It is extremely graphic.

I didn't understand this one?
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

meeshabot wrote:Who do you think you're talking to? Of course I've read the book. Can't wait!
Well, I was aiming my review towards more than just you as an individual. :P

Hound wrote:
Ultra Magnus wrote: It is extremely graphic.

I didn't understand this one?

Some movies, get a stronger rating, but folks bring their kids along anyway, as the kid should be able to handle it.

There is no place for children to see this movie. The principle are above their heads. The violence is extreme and graphic. The sexuality is in your face.
Ironhide
Original Oldskool 'Bot

Post by Ironhide »

Thanks UM,
in that case I got it afterall, I just didn't recognize the 'extremely graphic' description :lol:
Rodimus Prime
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Rodimus Prime »

Just home from watching it and I don't know what I think of it. I don't hate it, I can't say I loved it either.

I will say I was fully entertained and 2hrs 40 minutes flew by. I couldn't believe it when a certain scene happened and I knew we were at the ending.

I need to let it roll around in my head for a while, maybe even see it again to process some of what went down.

I agree with UM, defo not for kids.
Overlord
City Commander

Post by Overlord »

yeah i wanted to see it in imax, but there's only 1 imax here in the whole city and it got sold out on tues, so i'll have to wait.

from what i've read it's pretty faithful to the comic, perhaps too faithful

but i wanna see it anyway. dr. manhattan is EXACTLY as how i pictured him in my mind when i read the comic back in the day
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Overlord wrote:. dr. manhattan is EXACTLY as how i pictured him in my mind when i read the comic back in the day
There is definitely more to him, than what you saw in the comic.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Like I said, not one for the kids. :oops:
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

gonna see it this week looks and sounds like a good film I never read the book or comics at all so I have no idea what to expect...

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
sto_vo_kor_2000
Alternator

Post by sto_vo_kor_2000 »

Ultra Magnus wrote:
Overlord wrote:. dr. manhattan is EXACTLY as how i pictured him in my mind when i read the comic back in the day
There is definitely more to him, than what you saw in the comic.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Not much more :roll: :roll: :twisted:

Anyway I loved the film....and so did my daughter.

And yes I took my kid.For years I was trying to get her interested in the book and the idea that the only way to get world peace was for the world to have a common threat.

She always told me she didnt understand what I was telling her........but she says she gets it now.
Today is a good day to die.....but the day is not yet over!
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

Other than the blue nudity, I enjoyed it. After letting the film roll around in my head a little, im beginning to like it more and more. Rorshach is one of the coolest characters introduced in a long while. Definately not a movie for the faint of heart.
R.I.P. Menasor
meeshabot
City Commander

Post by meeshabot »

I saw the movie Friday night and now I really want to talk to someone who hasn't read the comic to know what they think. I feel like, in my heart of hearts, that I can only chalk it up to being mediocre. Don't get me wrong, the movie was good, as best as Hollywood could make it. Its just because I've read the comic it definitely downplayed my reaction to such a sensational story. There was never a moment where I just went "Wow".

And I don't know if this is a spoiler thing or not, but I'm going to disguise it anyways. Just highlight to read or skip or whatever. Be kind rewind.

[The thing I found the most surprising/delightful was the soundtrack! I really liked it. And I especially liked the opening montage set to Bob Dylan. I think that whole sequence was the best part of the movie. Followed closely by the prison riot scene. Hee!

"I'm not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in her with ME!"

Rorschach was just a bad mother. I couldn't have asked for a better Rorschach. I definitely give Jackie Earle Haley an A++. He was able to make him not look so Howdie Doodie.

AND...for those of you who are fans of the movie Semi-Pro you can find him floating around as the "especially dirty hippie" Dukes.
]
ghostinthemachine
Aerial Supreme Commander

Post by ghostinthemachine »

meeshabot wrote:Who do you think you're talking to? Of course I've read the book. Can't wait!
i was disappointed with the movie
meeshabot
City Commander

Post by meeshabot »

ghostinthemachine wrote:i was disappointed with the movie
I watches the Watchmen...

I thought it lacked the wow-factor. Other than a few choice scenes I wasn't gripped by anyone thing in particular. I don't think Alan Moore's stuff really translates over to the big screen well plus Hollywood likes to mess up his movies hardcore. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Barf in my mouth. V For Vendetta? Drivel. And the Watchmen? Total fan wankery.

Moral of the story: Read more comic books!
ghostinthemachine
Aerial Supreme Commander

Post by ghostinthemachine »

yeah i agree with you on that
DillWeasel
Decoy

Post by DillWeasel »

I really enjoyed it. I thought the book was ok, I thought the movie was better. My wife, who didn't read the book, thought it was really good. I left very satisfied.
Overlord
City Commander

Post by Overlord »

I saw it tonite with some buddies and was quite pleased. It didn't blow me away like Dark Knight, but then again the source material is totally different. It was a very layered and intricate movie, as close to the comic as you can get, which I guess is its strength and weakness at the same time. However I'm 90% sure if Snyder deviated from the comic in any significant manner, the fans and critics would be screaming murder. Overall I think it was pretty good...I'll prolly purchase the blu ray to get the extra material (the Black Pirate ship story, the other extra bits that were cut out).

meeshabot wrote: And I don't know if this is a spoiler thing or not, but I'm going to disguise it anyways. Just highlight to read or skip or whatever. Be kind rewind.

[The thing I found the most surprising/delightful was the soundtrack! I really liked it. And I especially liked the opening montage set to Bob Dylan. I think that whole sequence was the best part of the movie. Followed closely by the prison riot scene. Hee!

"I'm not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in her with ME!"

Rorschach was just a bad mother. I couldn't have asked for a better Rorschach. I definitely give Jackie Earle Haley an A++. He was able to make him not look so Howdie Doodie.
]
Yup I agree, the soundtrack was awesome! Everything from "All Along the Watchtower" to "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (80s classic!), the soundtrack was kickass

and speaking of zack snyder, I was on youtube and randomly came across this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_mDHNhO ... -rec-HM-r2

A "trailer" of sorts for TF: The Movie set to the 300 trailer music...it's pretty good