xbox 360 and the red rings o' death

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Brawn
Powermaster

xbox 360 and the red rings o' death

Post by Brawn »

who else is in this club? i joined last night.
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

My time came and went. I upgraded to the halo edition xbox and haven't seen those rings since.
R.I.P. Menasor
Brawn
Powermaster

Post by Brawn »

upgrading may be a good idea. i'm afraid after they fix it it will happen again.
ghostinthemachine
Aerial Supreme Commander

Post by ghostinthemachine »

there is a kit you can get to stop that from happening and it cost about 40.00 to get and you can do it yourself but that will void your warranty but they guarantee that it wont happen again, i will post the link i find it in my notebook
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Microsoft has a 3 year warranty for the Red Ring of Death. I had one on my first system and sent it in to be repaired and got a NEW system in a week. Besides, after the three year warranty is up, Microsoft might have some new system on the market that you have to have.
ghostinthemachine
Aerial Supreme Commander

Post by ghostinthemachine »

i was told that they are going to extend the warranty to 6 years instead of 3
Shockwave
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Shockwave »

I have had this problem as well,took about a week to get back.They need to make a TF online game that would be sweet,or sick, or rad,or hmmm.. what are some new saying these days about stuff that ROCKS!!!! hehehe
Brawn
Powermaster

Post by Brawn »

they have yet to make a good TF game. i would love a game featuring old school G1 instead of movie versions of characters. i'm sure that would never happen though.

A week to get it back isn't bad i guess. i'm waiting on my box/shipping label to get here.
S0und_wave
Decepticon Communications Officer

Post by S0und_wave »

I got the red about 1 year ago sent it to Microsoft and my xbox has been working fine ever since
deceptacreep
Targetmaster

Post by deceptacreep »

ghostinthemachine wrote:i was told that they are going to extend the warranty to 6 years instead of 3
That'd be nice. Mine's about 2 1/2 years old...
Computron
Gestalt Super Warrior

Post by Computron »

Woooha there peeps. Mine is less then three years old. When I got the rings, twice BTW, I called and stuff they said the warranty was up. It only costs $100 to send it and have it fixed. Though with wait time from here with shipping and I needed a new controller anyway I now have two 360's. The base here had and still has them on sale. So I saved money buy buying a new one. I'll send the older one in sometime.
The first time I got the rings was not the xbox dying. It was the intercooler fan dying. If you have an after market intercoller on the back, that voids your warranty BTW so don't tell the xbox people that if you do, check that first. There is three fans on that syatem for the cooling. It works like a champ to remove heat. One of the fan motors was going so it was robbing power from the xbox, becaues it plugs into the power socket then the cord into that. I took that off and it worked fine for a long time.
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

Brawn wrote:they have yet to make a good TF game. i would love a game featuring old school G1 instead of movie versions of characters. i'm sure that would never happen though.
I remember playing a game with G1 charaters a while ago can anyone else confirm this it was kinda boring though..... like the new one lol

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

Computron wrote:Woooha there peeps. Mine is less then three years old. When I got the rings, twice BTW, I called and stuff they said the warranty was up. It only costs $100 to send it and have it fixed. Though with wait time from here with shipping and I needed a new controller anyway I now have two 360's. The base here had and still has them on sale. So I saved money buy buying a new one. I'll send the older one in sometime.
The first time I got the rings was not the xbox dying. It was the intercooler fan dying. If you have an after market intercoller on the back, that voids your warranty BTW so don't tell the xbox people that if you do, check that first. There is three fans on that syatem for the cooling. It works like a champ to remove heat. One of the fan motors was going so it was robbing power from the xbox, becaues it plugs into the power socket then the cord into that. I took that off and it worked fine for a long time.
Thats what fried mine the first time. Im wishing that I would have had the halo version first, but beggars cant be choosers lol.
R.I.P. Menasor
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

I never use any kind of aftermarket cooling devices on mine. I leave mine out in an open space so it has plenty of room to breathe and I don't leave it on for extended periods of time. I'm kinda paranoid about it happening again, because I shelled out over $300 for the system when I bought it, and I really don't wanna waste all that money. If worse comes to worse, I'll sell the damn thing. I can always buy Rock Band 2 for PS3.
Brawn
Powermaster

Post by Brawn »

i never used a fan either. mine was about a year old. it does piss you off that by now they can't have a better quality build out there. if it wasn't for playing with my friends online I would consider just getting a ps3.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

I have all 3 nextgen systems. I don't play the PS3 as much because there isn't a real selection of games that catch my eye that the 360 has as well. I would consider picking up Rock Band 2 again for PS3, or maybe Guitar Hero World Tour. All the games I like I have on 360, so it's pointless to buy them again.
Catalyst Prime
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Catalyst Prime »

Mine got the ring two years ago, sent it in, got it back a week later, things were good, then last year the tray jammed and wouldn't open, called them to have it fixed and they told me the warrenty was expired( when it wasn't even 2 years old yet! and they originally told me my warrenty had been extended) and it would cost me $150 bucks for them to repair it... So I fixed it my self.

And now they keep charging my account for my live fee when I've repeatedly told them not too, I use the cards, so now I just don't have live at all.
All that was needed is a catalyst... and the machines of war are set in motion.

If at first you don't succeed, Destroy all evidence that you tried.
Rumble
Decepticon Demolitions Expert

Post by Rumble »

Catalyst Prime wrote:then last year the tray jammed and wouldn't open, called them to have it fixed and they told me the warrenty was expired( when it wasn't even 2 years old yet! and they originally told me my warrenty had been extended)
If I recall correctly, the extended warrenty only covers the RROD problem.

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

I can't believe I thought Cassettes were the way of the future.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Brawn
Powermaster

Post by Brawn »

you are correct on that one rumble. only RROD is covered by extended 3 year warranty. I have a 3 year warranty from Target as well. I wish they could have handled it as I could have gotten my money back/new system vs having microsoft repair mine. it seems the microsoft warranty superceded the target so here i am waiting.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

If Targets warranties are anything like the one's I sell at my place at work, you get the manufacturer's warranty for as long as it lasts and then the rest is extended beyond the manufaturers warranty.

In most cases, where I work, you keep the product and get a store gift card for your purchase.

Targets warranty could come in handy down the road with any problems you may have.

Kinda sucks you have to use a warranty though.

On another note, I am trying to find a reciept for a PNY DDR chip I bought a while ago so I can utilize the warranty. It failed and now my pc is running a tad slow. Can't wait to get the stick replaced.