GI Joe Movie

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Brawn
Powermaster

GI Joe Movie

Post by Brawn »

Silly question but who is interested. I hope they don't screw it up too bad by reworking all the characters as hollywood always seems to do. I am anxious to see it.
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

Same here. It wasn't my favorite cartoon, but I did enjoy it. I hope they dont screw it up too bad. You know they will a little bit.
R.I.P. Menasor
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

I have read copies of the script.

Overall, it reads very much like one of the old Sunbow mini-series.

There have been a few changes since the last draft I was able to get my hands on was written, but from what I understand, the only changes have been for the better.

If you were a fan of the old 80's cartoon, it should be something you greatly enjoy (though it is a tiny bit more grown up).

If you expect it to be just like the Marvel comic, you might not be the happiest.

Either way, to me, it read better than Bay's TF script.
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sounds awesome cant wait to see :D 8)

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Scrapper
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Scrapper »

I'm very curious and impatient to see it.
I agree with you Dinobot,in the 80's I preferred other toons,but in the same time G.I.Joe had interesting characters and atmospheres and I really hope that they can do a good movie.
I'm avoiding all rumours about the plot :wink: .
ghostinthemachine
Aerial Supreme Commander

Post by ghostinthemachine »

yeah i cant wait to see it either i have watched every episode and had just about all the figures from the 80's, some which i still have
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

ghostinthemachine wrote:yeah i cant wait to see it either i have watched every episode and had just about all the figures from the 80's, some which i still have
Now, just remember that there have been some changes made/updates. This film is set 10 years in the future, and is also an origin piece. Most of the names will be recognizable, even if all of the faces are not.
Brawn
Powermaster

Post by Brawn »

too bad they couldn't have taken inspiration from the Marvel comic. i thought the story arcs in there were quite good. of course i was 9 years old at the time!
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Brawn wrote:too bad they couldn't have taken inspiration from the Marvel comic. i thought the story arcs in there were quite good. of course i was 9 years old at the time!
There is the good news.

The re-writes that happened after the last script I read came from the guidance of Larry Hama (the man that wrote almost every Marvel Joe comic). He corrected quite a few things that would upset old school fans.

I agree that the comics were good, but there are a couple of things that one needs to remember about them, when it comes to translation to the big screen.

1. The origins were all so incredibly, and impossibly intertwined, your average movie goer would get lost in translation.

2. Even though some of the origins based on the Vietnam conflict could have been updated to the Gulf, this film has to be sold internationally, so it is best if American aggression over seas is kinda glossed over.

3. Almost every Cobra plot from the comic was real estate based. We already have Lex Luthor from the Superman movies pulling that racket.

4. One third of the comics (at least) were based entirely around Snake Eyes. Even though he is the "Wolverine" of GI Joe, the rest of the team needs to be included, especially up front.

5. Every Cobra plot from the comic that was not based on real estate was internal power struggle based. Great for an ongoing comic, but in movie form, where is the need for the other team?

6. I think we are all a little guilty of romanticizing the comic a bit. After all, the comic did include such wonderful moment as:

a) The terrorist troops giving up to the good guys because Breaker popped his chewing gum bubble over a loud speaker to simulate a tank firing.

b) A guy defending the US Mint in a full wet suit and diving mask, armed only with a spear gun.

c) Killer Robots with super fast growing, strangling vines.

Need I go on? :lol:

All in all, the Sunbow mini formula is the way to go....

Big globe spanning plot.

Enemy in possession of a super weapon that is seemingly unbeatable.

A solid team, that picks up a couple of new guys out of nowhere.

Crazy plans to beat the bad guys that don't work, but in the end it is true grit and ingenuity that gets the job done.

Now, I say that it is based on the sunbow formula, but do not get me wrong. It is not as simplistic/silly as the old show. The plot just has similar features. This is about as much as I can say without giving anything important away.

As for character development, even though the stories are different than the comics, they give the characters rich histories in a similar format. So, you should not be too unhappy.
ghostinthemachine
Aerial Supreme Commander

Post by ghostinthemachine »

Ultra Magnus wrote:
ghostinthemachine wrote:yeah i cant wait to see it either i have watched every episode and had just about all the figures from the 80's, some which i still have
Now, just remember that there have been some changes made/updates. This film is set 10 years in the future, and is also an origin piece. Most of the names will be recognizable, even if all of the faces are not.
yeah i know but i imagine like you said most of them will be the same so im still anxious to see it