Seriously? We're doomed!

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

I still have operational Atari 2600's (2 of them), a SEGA Genesis. and an N64.

The kids are allowed to play with the Atari if the have been very good, and the Game boy if they are going to the doctor's.

That is why my kids are bringing home straight A's while the other kids on the block say "mines" instead of "mine" and can't figure out how to make change (Those other kids all have the latest gaming systems).

If my boys want PS 3's or Nintendo Wii's they can buy them off eBay after that have their doctorates. ;)
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Ultra Magnus wrote:I still have operational Atari 2600's (2 of them), a SEGA Genesis. and an N64.

The kids are allowed to play with the Atari if the have been very good, and the Game boy if they are going to the doctor's.

That is why my kids are bringing home straight A's while the other kids on the block say "mines" instead of "mine" and can't figure out how to make change (Those other kids all have the latest gaming systems).
So... if I only let my boy play Pong (which I still have), and the Commodore 64 (which I still have), then he'll quickly become a super-Genius with a 4.5 GPA that graduates from Hahvahd by the time he's 14? Sweet!

(Ooooh.... or I could just let him play with an Abacus! He'll be out of college when he's eight!)
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

The point is I don't let them sit in front of whatever game system, ever... and when I do, it is something they will grow tired of, and walk away from.

Meanwhile, both boys are reading at least 5 books a week from the Library, and still spend most of their time outside... actually playing.

Sure, they tell me about the game systems that the other kids have, and how great it would be if we could have one.... those other kids are still drooling idiots, that need to read a book.
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

when i was growing up we had an NES but i never got time to play it much cause i was always either out on the farm ( my dad was one who would say " son get your underage a$$ on that tractor and get some grass moved " ) or reading a book

the point is that us as kids were encouraged to go do a physical activity such as football or bike riding or something like that

we were encouraged to read play board games with our families that just doesnt happen today

sadly i just couldnt be bothered at school so i didnt get many GCSEs but i excelled at woodwork and metalwork but even those were difficult enough to obtain
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Dirge1 wrote: the point is that us as kids were encouraged to go do a physical activity such as football or bike riding or something like that

we were encouraged to read play board games with our families that just doesnt happen today
And that was my point.

You may not have gotten the book learning (school stuff) from being pushed away from the machine, but you got practical experience.

It is like I tell my kids. They can be doctors, lawyers, electricians or plumbers. Those are the four things we will never have too many of, or will ever go broke because there isn't work anywhere for them. :lol:
ghostinthemachine
Aerial Supreme Commander

Post by ghostinthemachine »

We have a family game night were we play board games every saturday night
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker

Post by Dirge »

we didnt have any specific night
we always played board games we were taught to loose as well as win for the sense of achivement
and besides that noone could ever beat my mum at most of them :x
after the days work was done we always had family time and i mean every night
we always sat round the table to eat
then out came the board games or books
sundays we always went out somewhere as a family

and to this day i cant beat my mum at monopoly :oops: :cry:
ghostinthemachine
Aerial Supreme Commander

Post by ghostinthemachine »

yeah but we work all week long and the only time we have to play games with the kids is on saturday night, usually during the day we go to flea markets and game stores and movies and then we play board games when we get home
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

today the 9-5 jobs are out a bunch of people work strange hours and unfortunately both parents work (providing the parents are together and not separated like alot of families today :cry: )

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
TheTruePhantasm
Decoy

Post by TheTruePhantasm »

awesome nostalgia walkmans n64's playstastions 8)
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Welcome, Phantasm!

I didn't play much for board games as a kid, though the sandbox was my kingdom. It wasn't until college that I really had a crew to do board games with. Some go well, like Monopoly, and Ticket to Ride, some go not so well. (Risk). Of course, dice-based games like Risk, there is no beating our very own Rattrap. He doesn't go a single turn without rolling at least one 6. :P
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker

Post by Dirge »

you need to check the dice for being loaded :lol:
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

Doesn't matter what dice you use, I'll still be good with them. :P Board games are definitely a favorite of mine. Games like Risk, Monopoly, and Ticket to Ride are always a blast. I try to get in a good board game once a week, but it doesn't always happen.
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker

Post by Dirge »

my favourite was and always will be

snakes and ladders :lol:
Catalyst Prime
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Catalyst Prime »

Speaking of dice, you aught to see me as gamemaster of a Dungeons and Dragons game... It's like I'm cursed! Their has never been a player in one of my games that didn't loose at least one character to a trap or a monster that I rolled double 20's on!

For those of you not in the know about D&D. When you roll a natural 20 (on a 20 sided dice) it's a critical threat. Then you roll it again to see if you hit their Armor Class(defense) if it succedes you've scored a critical hit.

But if that second roll is a 20 as well it's an instant kill...

So yeah, I KILL players often... unintentionally...

Also "The Game of Life" and "Mousetrap" has always been my favorite board games.
All that was needed is a catalyst... and the machines of war are set in motion.

If at first you don't succeed, Destroy all evidence that you tried.
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker

Post by Dirge »

i was always the one that ended up in the mousetrap in that game :cry:
Razorclaw
Predacon Commander
Location: Behind you, ready to chop your head with my sonic sword...

Post by Razorclaw »

My favorite boardgame is still Hero Quest.
@Catalyst Prime: I've heard a story of a guy that played DnD; he had a dwarf. He rolled about 9 consecutive ones, and dropped all the weapons of his party except a hafling dagger, which he used to defeat the enemy...from the next session he had a chained gauntlet! :lol:
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, To dungeons deep and caverns old. The pines were roaring on the height, The winds were moaning in the night, The fire was red, it flaming spread, The trees like torches blazed with light.
AstroTrain
Powermaster

Post by AstroTrain »

Computron wrote:the 64 was super fun. Golden eye was the bomb. I can't say the super was that awesome though. genesis was better for button lay out, as long as you had the 6 buttons.
Golden Eye was definitely the bomb. I liked it especially because the dudes reacted to where they were shot. I did specific research on the different animations at the first snow level with the satellites and the sniper rifle. Shoot them in the nads, they grab them and fall. Shoot them in the butt, they grab it hop around and fall. Shoot them in the head, they fold like a lawn chair.

I own Wii and PS3 today (will never own any microsoft console :evil: ), and they are great. But man, when I get my hands on that rectangle NES controller, or wrangle the bulky genesis controller, or take a firm grip of an N64 controller, I get lost in the memories.

My cousin supplies me with this stuff today. He has over 20 of every nintendo system except for wii, and over 400 of the 690 registered Nintendo NES games alone!
"In confusion, there is opportunity."
Image Want List
Sale List
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Catalyst Prime wrote:Speaking of dice, you aught to see me as gamemaster of a Dungeons and Dragons game... It's like I'm cursed! Their has never been a player in one of my games that didn't loose at least one character to a trap or a monster that I rolled double 20's on!

For those of you not in the know about D&D. When you roll a natural 20 (on a 20 sided dice) it's a critical threat. Then you roll it again to see if you hit their Armor Class(defense) if it succedes you've scored a critical hit.

But if that second roll is a 20 as well it's an instant kill...

So yeah, I KILL players often... unintentionally...

Also "The Game of Life" and "Mousetrap" has always been my favorite board games.

This needs a new thread! :lol:
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

My favorite boardgame is still Hero Quest.
Thats still my favorite mini game as well.

Has anyone seen the new scifi channel commercial? The one where the new logo is "SyFy". Really? Was there some confusion about "scifi"? Was it too long? What?