I loooooove Ebay...... gah. (looong post warning!)

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

I loooooove Ebay...... gah. (looong post warning!)

Post by Banzai-Tron »

So, I "won" an item (a micromaster base (not Countdown) with the following details (bold is mine, I'd link to the auction, but I'm not looking to flame him, just venting):

"Winning bid: US $52.55

Ended: Jun-30-09 19:17:41 PDT
Shipping:
US $7.50
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Service to United States
Ships to: Worldwide
Item location: Adelaide, SA, Australia

please ask all questions prior to bidding. i will ship worldwide via standard airmail or express. shipping cost to be provided to winning bidder once item is packaged and weighed. buyer is responsible for postal and packaging cost. please provide your email address at chequeout so i can email pic of parcel and postage receipt. Postage to australian bidders is flat $7.50. Internationals will have to wait til auction ends. international bids are welcome, however postal cost can only be provided at end of auction. request for postal cost during sale period will be ignored and deleted. requests for "can you send more pics?" for any of my auctions or sales will be ignored and deleted. i clearly state what will be included and guarantee to suply exactly what i've listed. any questions please message through ebay. good luck and happy bidding"

Now, I bid on a lot of stuff... I'll admit it, I often don't read all the fine print... and especially when it's a morass of grammatical horror such as the above.

Turns out, that the shipping that I wasn't allowed to ask about was $33.00 USD. So, I send a polite e-mail asking if this total was correct, as it's a FAR cry from the $7.50 that the listing showed.

No reply. Until the following e-mail exchange occurs:

Seller: "hello, a reminder that payment is due immediately. second chance offer will be given to next highest bidder within 24 hours"

Me: "Are you going to answer my question, or not?"

Seller: "this is the first response i've gotten from you. what's the question? by the way i'd have appreciated if you asked all questions during the sale period - NOT after winning the auction. i'll be upfront and let you know if your question is in any way a waste of my time then item will be given to next highest bidder. been pretty patient as it is"

Me: "I sent you a request for the correct total right after you sent me the invoice... asking you to verify that the shipping total was correct. Your listing showed the shipping as $7.50 to the U.S. It's A VERY big jump from that to $33.00.

Feel free to offer it to the next highest bidder, I don't like your attitude anyhow, and would rather not deal with you now."

Seller: "domestic handling IN AUSTRALIA!!! CHRIST, SOME PEOPLE ARE THAAAAT DENSE! australian-ebay-member...duh!! you think i'd be in australia and keep the items in the u.s.???? blame yourself for your own stupidity!! and don't bid on my items anymore. prefer to deal with ebayers with an iq higher than 0.5!!"

Seller (notice, I made NO reply between the two eloquently worded response from the seller!): "domestic handling IN AUSTRALIA!! EBAY MEMBER IN AUSTRALIA - JESUS SOME PEOPLE ARE THAAAAAT THICK!!! you expect me to be in australia and keep items in the US?? blame yourself for your own stupidity!! can you blame my attitude? you bought the item over a week ago with NO CORRESPONDENCE!! And now you're backing out because you have the intelect of a lemming? you-friggin'-smeghead!! don't even look at any of my items again, i prefer dealing with ebayers with an iq higher than 0.5!"

Me (apparently while he was typing the second of the similar replies above): "YOU are the dense one! Look at your listing again! You listed it as $7.50 to THE UNITED STATES: (Quote the listing details previously quoted above)

Me (after reading the second reply above): "I expect you to have:
1) Common courtesty.
2) The ability to list correctly (i.e. if you ship for $7.50 to Australia, you click the Australia box, NOT THE U.S. box.
3) Read your e-mail. I sent the request for clarification days ago."

Seller: THE ITEM WAS LISTED IN US EBAY - I'M AN AUSTRALIAN EBAY - "ASK ALL QUESTIONS BEFORE BIDDING" - I'M PRESUMING YOU CAN READ?? LOOK JUST BUGGER OFF!!! DONT SEND ANY MORE MESSAGES. YOU'VE WASTED EVERYONE'S TIME AS IT IS!!!

Another fascinating Ebay experience! I'm almost hoping he tries to report me as a non-paying buyer...
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I don't buy international items, due to shipping and customs. So I'm not familiar with the layout.

But at the top where it says US $7.50, is that line supposed to be shipping to the US costs $7.50 or $7.50 in US dollars?
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

As a buyer, you can leave him negative feedback, without retaliation. Which is good. You can also report him as flaming you with harassing email. I hate when I have to deal with those people.

Recently I sold a stormtrooper lightsaber. After the item was over, this guy repeatedly screamed lots of negative remarks at me for not selling it to him for more money. I had to tell him "look jack @#$, if you would have made a bid, you could have won it." He screamed at me more calling me stupid, so once I replied I was reporting his emails for harassment, he was very polite all of a sudden. Some people.
R.I.P. Menasor
Computron
Gestalt Super Warrior

Post by Computron »

I did buy one once, that I remember, I sniped someone for Jap reissue sideswipe. the shipping was as much as the TF cost. I didn't pay attention to the place it was in, China. All was well though.
Then I found someone that bought a TRU reissue of SS. Though that one was only released for sale at KayBee
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU BID
I WILL DELETE ALL QUESTIONS ASKED BEFORE AUCTION END

jeesh.
Brawn
Powermaster

Post by Brawn »

what a putz that guy is. i would have regarded it just as you did banzai. you should have told him where to shove that bot and then had it transform. kudos to you for keeping your cool.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

LD2062 wrote:I don't buy international items, due to shipping and customs. So I'm not familiar with the layout.

But at the top where it says US $7.50, is that line supposed to be shipping to the US costs $7.50 or $7.50 in US dollars?
Well, apparently, part of the problem is that he listed it in US Ebay. Or so he screamed at me. That line at the top is
"Shipping: US $7.50
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Service to United States"

*I* took that to mean shipping to the US was $7.50.

And of course, Ebay doesn't appear to have a complaint section for "Seller underestimates shipping charges grossly". Personally, I consider this akin to a bait and switch technique.
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I offer international shipping on my ebay listtings but I don't list prices for it. I've been told that the ebay calculator for international under estimates the shipping cost. I've had it do that to me domestically so I'm not risking it. I just give quotes to those who send a message asking. All my stuff is buy now so its not like I lose buyers who think there isn't enough time to get a reply.

But as a seller I'm pissed I cannot give bad buyer reviews. I've got 3 non payment cases going right now!
Brawn
Powermaster

Post by Brawn »

i bought some guinness posters on ebay from someone in Australia but they were nice enough to calculate shipping for me
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Yeah. My main beef with the guy is that:
1) If the shipping is going to be WAAAAY more than what you list it as, don't post it at all. It's misleading. I was willing to pay about $70-$75 for this guy, not nearly $100.

2) He's rude as all hell.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

LD2062 wrote:I offer international shipping on my ebay listtings but I don't list prices for it. I've been told that the ebay calculator for international under estimates the shipping cost. I've had it do that to me domestically so I'm not risking it. I just give quotes to those who send a message asking. All my stuff is buy now so its not like I lose buyers who think there isn't enough time to get a reply.

But as a seller I'm pissed I cannot give bad buyer reviews. I've got 3 non payment cases going right now!
EDIT: *censored*
Last edited by Banzai-Tron on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Hey folks.

Let's try to tone this down a bit, m'kay?

A post about a specific unnamed person, acting in an appalling manner is not a good excuse to start a rant about a specific named company, or other individual.

Thanks.

Maggie

TFL Moderation Team