Seeking completely objective opinions...

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Who's in the right here?

Person X
13%
Person Y
No votes
Both X and Y have valid arguments
No votes
Both X and Y are being petty
63%
Yeah Right, Like I'm going to read all that?
25%

Total votes: 8

TransformersVSGIJOes
Noob

Seeking completely objective opinions...

Post by TransformersVSGIJOes »

Hi Gang! I recently had a minor spat with someone, and I'd like to trouble you all for your input. First, I'll give the background, and then the e-mail log in it's entirety. Then please tell me if either side has a valid point(s).

Background: The relevant portion of the item description in question reads: "Comes with everything you see in the picture." The part in question is approximately 2cm, and the picture in question is a standard picture (i.e not grainy, of sufficient quality, etc).

X: "I can't tell... is the "radar drum" there or not? Also, what's that green piece in the bottom left?"
X: "Sorry, the purple piece in the bottom left, obviously."

Y: "The picture clearly shows everything this toy comes with."

X: "That's the most cop out answer I've heard, lol. The part I'm asking about is very small. But I'll assume its not there, and not purchase it. And I'll just have to wonder what that extra piece is. Thanks for the *wonderful* customer service. Funny, since you seemed much nicer in person."

Y: "Yeah, sure.... The piece is nearly the same size as the radar dish. If it was included you would see it since the picture is crystal clear and shows everything that is included with great detail.
So unless you are blind you were just wasting my time with that question. Something I don't appreciate and definitely will not encourage with ass kissing *wonderful* customer service."

X: "Guess what? I don't own this figure! So I didn't know how big the bloody piece was. I imagined it was a small little connector that the radar dish sat on. Sue me. And you ignored my other question in your haste to be rude.

Y: "Buddy, if you came into my store then you know I have zero tolerance for people who waste my time. So if you think I care that you won't be coming back and bothering me then you are very mistaken."

X: "I don't expect ass-kissing, but I DO expect common courtesy. But don't worry, I won't waste your time anymore. And I certainly won't waste any more of my time in your shop in (physical store location) either. You had me fooled."

X: "The simple fact is, it was an innocent (albeit perhaps slightly uninformed question). And instead of being a decent person and providing a decent response, you got snarky. See you at (TFrelated)Con."

Y: "Wow, you are a cry baby.
There was nothing "snarky" about my answer at all.
It was simple, to the point and reiterated what the auction listing already stated.
If you can't handle that then maybe you should think twice and actually read an auction listing before you waste a seller's time asking a question that has already been answered."

X: "Simple and to the point would've been "No, the part's not there." That would've been FAR more effective (and wasted far less of your time, even), and not alienated a customer.
(Name), whether you realize it or not, you've came across very poorly in this exchange. I've purchased things from you in the past, and have referred MANY people to you.
Don't bother replying again. You've wasted enough of your precious time already."

Y: "No, the answer you wanted would have missed the point and just encouraged you to continue writing emails without bothering to read auction listings.
That kind of lazy, inconsiderate behaviour is not something I wish to encourage. Nor does that make you the type of customer I want to deal with.
Trust me I don't need your money or referrals but I do know that there are very few places to buy collectibles in this area. So you will need me long before I will ever need you."
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I just moved this to Gen Disc, it has less to do with transformers than it does with a general interpersonal situation. welcome aboard, and tell us a little about who you are and what you do in billboard!
Blaster
Targetmaster

Post by Blaster »

I have had several problems myself with buying items and not being exactly sure what was included and actually just kinda got ripped on a purchase because the seller was also confuse. My father and grandfather were both retail managers and I have spent around six years in retail and can also say that the store owner was giving bad customer service. Whether or not he will or will not "need" the customers money or not refrences the owner does need. Its been my experience that these type of stores aren't the most lucrative and can't always afford great advertising and customers who have had a good experience at a shop are your best advertisement and money generaters.

I think they were both kinda petty but I probably would have reacted the same way had I been treated like I was a burden instead of a customer. I work too hard for my money to have to work hard to spend it.
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

I was somewhat with "X' until the point where they said they would no longer be wasting "Y's" time, but then continued sending messages.

I understand the importance of asking questions about pics. I was one time sent a Magnus trailer in "Great" condition with no rear ramps. The auction site sided with the seller in the dispute, as they never said it was a "Complete Trailer." The pic was sorta from the front and side, and the ramp area was completely obscured. I didn't ask, I learned, and moved along.

I would have probably asked in this case as well, but upon getting that response would know not to trust the auction, nor the seller. The continued back and forth encouraged nothing but making sure the seller is going to be more stingy with the next collector.

Of course, that is just my take on it.
Brawn
Powermaster

Post by Brawn »

I have been doing finish carpentry all day and have a headache. this was too much to read for know. I will revisit this for my 2 cents worth later!
Computron
Gestalt Super Warrior

Post by Computron »

I'm with UM on this, both are wrong due to the reasons that UM stated. Unfortunately we did not get to see the picture. We also got zero back ground for what the auction was for, specific toy wise. That may have swayed the vote in another direction.
Next time ask more specific question.
Is the radar drum there, I don't know how big it is and i cannot tell from the picture. ?
May have been a better question.
Sorry about the problems you had though. Best of luck in future dealings.
Due to the lack of a both are wrong vote I abstain. Yes I do see the both are being petty...
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Opey wrote:I have had several problems myself with buying items and not being exactly sure what was included and actually just kinda got ripped on a purchase because the seller was also confused...
Opey is not talking about TFL, for the record, lol!

By the way Opey, I noticed your location in Jonesboro...my wife and I visited there a few years back as one of the last stops of our cross-country road trip. We went to one of the diamond mines...it was pretty cool. My wife is a earth science teacher and now she does a gem mining lab every year and the kids really seem to enjoy it as well. Just thought I'd give some props to your town ;)

TransformersVSGIJOes - The dealer (Y) sounds like he is either (a) having a bad day or (b) a total douche bag. As a dealer myself, I know I can get in my moods, but you really have to relax and treat potential customers a little better than that because (a) it's the right thing to do and (b) in this day and age, word of your douche baggedness can spread quickly.
captainamerica
Gestalt Warrior

Post by captainamerica »

I'm also with UM, on this one, both are in the wrong.

Y could have provided a clearer answer, it would have taken about the same time to type.

But X is also wrong for throwing in this dig:"Thanks for the *wonderful* customer service. Funny, since you seemed much nicer in person."

...that's pointless and petty and would never have been said 'in person'; only behind the security of the internet.

And everything after that is just a verbal pissing contest between two people that made a business transaction some kind of personal issue.

two thumbs down for X and Y.
My heart is die-cast.