for sale/want list ?'s

Post want/sale/trades here, share an interesting website, or introduce yourself! No eBay links.

Moderator: Time Traveller

audionmotionink
Alternator

for sale/want list ?'s

Post by audionmotionink »

got a question.....

i keep looking at the for sale list and wants list and see that stuff is never updated. is there anyway to purge the old outdated listings? its hard searching for what people have for sale/want with so much old postings that have gone nowhere.

hopefully i'm not the only one who is thinking this. as there are a efw parts/pieces i am looking to get but as of yet unsuccessful in getting. not sure if it is due to the listings or if no one actually has the parts......

ok well thats over and done.

p.s.
yes i would be happy to go thru and purge the lists if needed. i was thinking that once every 2-3 months they could be purged (with a 7 day grace period before being purged).... pm the poster and let them know if they don't update the listing within 7 days it will be deleted. i think 2 months of the same listing is more than long enough. (craigslist keeps posts 45 days btw)
it would make things easier i think.

give me opinions or replies. i'd like to hear what everyone else is thinking regarding this (if anything at all)

jeremy
i'm always looking for optimus prime, nemesis prime, ultra magnus, bumblebee, megatron, starscream (allversions EXCEPT BW,BM,TM)
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

This is a very good question, audionmotionink, and definitely something that should be looked into. Because there are, like you said, quite a few old outdated listings. I'd like to see that something is done about this issue too, and I'll definitely look into it and make sure this is brought up with the mod/admin team as well.
I'd also like to know what everyone else thinks about this, and if you have any suggestions or ideas we'll be more than happy to hear about them!

Thanks!
Minerva, Admin.
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

maybe just lock the threads that are clearly so old, they're irrelevant, and then also ask those you're unsure of if their thread needs locking or if they need to update it? Could be a big job, but it will only get bigger if left as it is...

You could also, going forward, make it a rule that those with an exhausted list notify someone in admin to get it locked, making it clear that it's an outdated list... in other words - locked thread = don't bother looking? At least that way you could then start a new thread confident everyone knows it's a fresh list.
Jetfire is a robosexual
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

There are two for sale lists. One needs to go for sure. You got "for sale lists" anf "for sale lists the rest" One is hard enough to keep track of.
R.I.P. Menasor
audionmotionink
Alternator

in regards to your response dinobot, one is for transformers only and the other is for everything BUT transformers.

sunstorm - there is only one thread available for transformers sales. if it was to become locked then we wouldn't be able to keep adding posts to a singular topic.

thanks minerva. i was unsure if his had already been asked or not.
maybe we could put them like this

for sale > g1>g2>am>bw>bw2 etc.......
lots for sale
parts for sale

if the posts aren't updated within a certain time then that post gets deleted. it's not that big of a deal to retype a sales posting as most of the people who write the long winded ones have them copied and pasted onto other forums.
so if they complain they can cop and repaste or UPDATE THEIR POST!

i'll be more than happy to get the ball rolling if no one else has the time to get it going.

i know i hate when i see something i want and pm the person and never get a reply or they say "i sold it months ago"
i'm always looking for optimus prime, nemesis prime, ultra magnus, bumblebee, megatron, starscream (allversions EXCEPT BW,BM,TM)
Soundbluster
Throttlebot

Post by Soundbluster »

I agree with the idea of purging old outdated lists
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

I vote we separate out the want/sale/trade part of the "Billboard" from the "interesting websites & introductions". THEN, we either:

A) Let each person keep there own Subject. That would make it pretty easy to tell who's active, and keeping up on their lists. I'd also suggest that folks be required to state their edits, rather than just 'bumping'. Just because it makes things more interesting ;).
Alternatively, if you don't like bumping at all, we could still have an update thread stickied, which would then become MUCH easier to use, since we wouldn't have to say "go to page six, then scroll waaaay down towards the bottom" (or learn to use proper html location links).

or

B) Do w/s/t by either months or quarters. Again, this would make it easy to tell who's active, and keeping up on their lists. Though this would take up more space than option A, if that's an issue. For this one, people would just need to copy/paste to a new month/quarter if they have no changes.
EXAMPLE: "Member Want Lists -- May 2010"
EXAMPLE: "Member Sale Lists -- Second Quarter -- April thru June"

It seems to me either option would keep things from getting too awful cluttering, since all the threads would be penned up in their very own forum.
audionmotionink
Alternator

i agree with banzai. set it up for months or quarters and once it has passed then that particular thread can be locked.

for example:
f/s may 2010
want may 2010
trade may 2010

as soon as june 1st rolls around a new thread is started for each type of transaction
it would add 3 new stickied threads with 12 subthreads with unlimited posts
it would alleviate the update threads as the ads are posted for a calendar month then removed entirely (maybe have a 7 day grace period for copying and pasting iif someone who has a long thread happens to be out of town or otherwise unable to log in so that they can move their listing to the next month)

plus we would know what was current and was was an old and/or outdated ad.

like i previously stated: i would be more than happy to help out and make this happen if it seems overwhelming to the current mods.

i personally just like to buy sell and trade! i'm always looking to buy, sell and trade. it just sucks when i see something i desperately want and can't get ahold of the person who has/had the item!
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Thanks for all suggestions!

Here’s what I’ve got:

Step one would be to de-sticky the current for sale/want lists and create new threads, one for wants and one for sales/trades. These new threads will be sticky and notifications of updates will be done as they are now.

Step number two would be for all members to copy, update and move their sale and want lists from the old to the new threads.
The same old rules would apply in each thread respectively, including having the update-date at the top of every individual post, which will allow everyone to see when the posts were last updated.

The threads would be cleaned up every three months, and every post that hasn’t been updated during that period of time will be removed.

What do you think? Comments? Suggestions?
audionmotionink
Alternator

i think you got it dialed in perfect minerva! that sounds like a plan.
so when should we start? may 1st?
Soundbluster
Throttlebot

Post by Soundbluster »

Wonder could you send a mass email to all members to notify them of the plan as some who mightn't frequent very often may still wish to have a sale/want list of theirs up but don't realise its gone.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

I don't think you really need to "clean-up" old threads, especially if you were able to split the billboard into two parts.

Why?
1) Some people *do* take breaks for more than 3 months.
2) Some people *will* forget to update.
3) It will take considerably less work for the mods to start a fresh sale/want list for each quarter, and lock the old lists, than it will to keep one single, constantly changing sale/want list "cleaned" consistently.
4) It will continue to provide the "drive-by" posters with an ever so tiny glimmer of hope that they might get/sell what they need.
audionmotionink
Alternator

i see your response banzai and raise you these replies....

if the poster is away for more than three months (and the old post/thread is locked) they will be able to find their old thread and copy/paste it to the new post with very little trouble.

if they don't update their thread when something is sold, that makes us buyers think there is a glimmer of hope we can still get it only to be destroyed to find out that they sold it "months ago"!

it shouldn't be too hard to lock a thread and start a new one. on my personal concealed carry forum it takes less than 2 minutes to do both.

if the current mods do not want to take the time to lock a thread and start a new one... i have offered to do it. i am the original poster asking for a change and i don't mind putting forth the effort to help make that change a reality.

it takes more time for me to go thru each particular post on a single thread of outdated and if they are updated it is from a 2009 update. i prefer to buy from other collectors so that i know i am getting a quality product. as my local collectible store is run by an idiot who only gives 10-20 cents on the dollar and then resells very used items for book value.