Transformers:Prime Series Review

Discuss transformers cartoons, comics, movies, upcoming TF events and conventions, etc.

Moderators: Time Traveller, Kup

SentinelPrime
Autobot Legend

Transformers:Prime Series Review

Post by SentinelPrime »

I just saw the two first episodes of Transformers Prime. It is great to hear Cullen and Welker doing their respective character voices. Like all the Autobots, esp. Rachet. I like his sense of humor and dislike for humans! Hope its not the end for Cliffjumper. Liked him too!

The overall feel of this show reminds of the following previous transformers series: (Beast Wars) for the energon deposits, (RID) for the highway warp gates to all over the planet, and the robot and vehicle modes of the live action movies.

I don't like the way Megatron's face looks. The eyes on all the robots looks kinda strange. I do like Welker's new voice take of Megatron! Starscream is cool too!

As for the CGI animation...I don't think its as sharp as Beast Wars. Don't like Bumblebee not being able to speak.

Overall...I like it, but it may take some time to really grow on me!
THE PROTECTOR OF CYBERTRON
skywarp408
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by skywarp408 »

i'll make it quick and just say that i liked it enough to watch it again. I also agree that the faces of many of the characters look really weird.
PETER IS GOD!Image
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

its seems to have potential. i watched it last night and should be interesting the humans are not all fluffy air filled people atleast they seem to be normal kids....

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
Dai Atlas
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Dai Atlas »

I was opposed to it initially but it's not bad really, the animation is not good but it is more tolerable then G.I. Joe Renegades. The story they started off with is pretty cool and being a Unicron fan I like the fact that he has been included this early on in the series. The humans so far aren’t annoying like in previous series (RID, Armada, Energon). So overall I was impressed and actually look forward to seeing more of the series. On a scale of 1-10 I give Transformers Prime a hardcore 7.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
-John Lennon
Silverbolt
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Silverbolt »

I loved it. lots of punching and cracking heads open
instead of hiding behind rocks shooting lasers all the time.

RIP CJ.. ZOMBIES FTW!
:shock: :lol:
Wanted: Brainstorm.
Drewtube Amazing Adventures
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I enjoyed it. Hope this isn't the last we see of Cliffjumper, though having a superstar like the Rock voice the character might have something to do with that. I've heard rumors this is slated to be at least a 40 episode series instead of the 5 parter that's advertised. Don't know how much truth is in that though.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Haters gonna hate, but I thought this series was excellent beyond reproach. The characterizations and voices were exceptional... Within a few dozen minutes, they added something unique to each character. Further, they blew me away by making my day without filling any of my expectations.
Things they changed that I like:
"The kid" is not "Sam", "Spike" or "Witwicky". *sigh of relief*
Bumblebee is not "the kid's" main contact within the Autobots.
Arcee is not excessively doting. She has a lot of compassion, but remains strong and follows her own principles.
Starscream doesn't have such a high pitched voice. Don't get me wrong, Chris Latta was great, but they have done something different and been successful with it.
Ratchet wasn't old and grumpy sounding. He is professional and curt, and while he doesn't like the humans, he doesn't show outward anger... he just goes about his work giving one-word answers so they'll leave him alone. His character is absolutely brilliant.
Soundwave is faceless and perhaps voiceless- I think he always was (since they never portrayed his character traits in G1 other than total subservience to Megatron), but now they've made it literal.
Bulkhead isn't just comedic relief!
Ben's internal monologue: "Holy crap! They KILLED someone in the first episode! Holy CRAP! THEY TURNED HIM INTO A CREEPY ZOMBIE! HOLY CRAP! HIS COMRADES HAD TO WATCH, HELPLESS, HIS DEFILED CORPSE DIE AGAIN IN THE MINE!" Wow.
Does Megatron's face remind anyone else of a skull? Kinda creepy, I like it.
Also, they've admitted that pretty much the only Decepticons that matter are Megatron, Soundwave, and Starscream. Instead of pretending other Decepticons have character, they made them drones. Does this mean we won't have 38 meaningless seeker repaints? Yay!
I still haven't decided whether Arcee or Ratchet is my favorite. I guess I'll have to watch again.

ONE MORE THING... (please read even if you skipped the rant )

I haven't heard anyone like the new animation. I haven't heard anyone like the animation of Animated, Beast Wars, Energon, or Armada, either. What types of animation DO you like?

In conclusion, this series is well on its way to unseat Beast Wars as my all time favorite TF show. The characters, the well-captured Southwest scenery, differentiating itself from all the other 'classic' restarts so well... 10/10. I hope they stay this strong.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

I thought the show wasn't bad. I even liked parts of it. It might even be my favorite since G1. I like the fact that they went back to needing energon. The action was good, and the animation isn't bad.

I would love for the series to revert back to the G1 days, but I know that will never happen. Especially since as far the makers of the TF shows are concerned - it is reverting/going backwards. I can understand their desires to go forward.

I'll tune in weekly (through you tube, since the cable package is ridiculous to get Hub. I get over 150 channels right now and I think if I read it right I have to get the 450 channel package to get the hub. Too expensive.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Does anyone know who the twins are that Arcee had chasing her down? Are they supposed to be more meaningless Decepticon drones? (Didn't catch the features up close, may have to go back and re-examine.) Or were they somewhat different in design? The entire family watched this earlier today and my wife, who will only watch bits and pieces of G1 with me, totally loved it!
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

I thought they were just drones. Though, I could be wrong though.
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

there just some sort of clones. the only cons that seem to have personality is screamer megs and soundwave......

seems to be a mix of almost all the lines that has been out....

Silverbolt
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Silverbolt »

yes! thank you Time Traveler for wording so much of what I was feeling.
so far so good.

my only out and out dislikes are bumblebee clicking (and Raf understanding him)
and that cullen doing the same old voice again seems to not fit in so well with all this new. for a G1 fan it kind of pulls me out of this new story.
Wanted: Brainstorm.
Drewtube Amazing Adventures
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

You're welcome, Bolt! Anytime!

@ Bumblebee: When have any cons other than Megs and screamer had personality? (I can't say Soundwave has personality, sorry) The only other that pops into my mind is Animated Blitzwing, who had three... compensating for the rest of the team?

But back to what Bolt said, as for Bumblebee's noises, it sounds like machine language from Star Wars... I find it significantly less annoying than the radio thing. I'm also OK with Raf understanding it, if just to make Jack Darby feel less special about being the only kid who's in tight with the alien robots. Also, I'm ok with Cullen doing the original prime voice (although something about it does sound different). The one thing that makes me happy is he seems to be a much more solemn and pensive Optimus than in the movie. He also seems more savvy and proactive than G1 Prime, who was probably characterized more by Cullen's portrayal than the actual script writers.

My one bone to pick: what's up with Miko? She's scenery one second and next she's the fourth human allowed in the Autobot base. And she's supposed to be japanese... but in love with american culture... which tries to look like emo japanese? I am so confused. Anti-weeaboo? Unnecessary.
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

g1 cons had personality.....animated BA had personality. beast wars.......ok not many if any there....machine wars...nope.

ok cons dont need minds.... but didnt megs say he dont care if there smart as long as they can fight lol

SentinelPrime
Autobot Legend

Post by SentinelPrime »

Just watched the third episode.....much, much better than the first two. I really like Ratchet. Prime's waist section need to be fuller like Ratchet's. Prime looks like he's got chicken like legs! And his face.....it looks like a legos face! If they would only give him a more refined nose, he'd look better.

Can't stand the girl Miko! Useless character! Humor relief she is NOT!! :( Liked the dark energon angle. Hate we have to wait for the series to continue in Feb. 2011. :(
THE PROTECTOR OF CYBERTRON
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Bumblebee wrote:g1 cons had personality.....animated BA had personality. beast wars.......ok not many if any there....
Gotta disagree with you there. Blackarachnia had personality in BW, as did the conniving Tarantulas... I also found Scorponok's insecurity about his position as #2 quite interesting to watch. He seemed like he should be the big brute, but he was a chickensh**, and always second guessing himself because no-one seemed to listen to him.
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

yeah the spiders did but the rest where just comic relive until that one that split his spark with transmetal dinobot. also BA switched sides....... dont get me wrong i loved bw but waspinator terasore and scorp..... all comic relive lol

warning derail and typos lol

Dai Atlas
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Dai Atlas »

Only caught the end of Part 4 last night, they are running an encore presentation tonight so I gotta catch that. I have come to enjoy this series quite a bit so far my previous rating of 7.5 goes up to an 8.5.
-John Lennon
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Haters gonna hate indeed. That said I have my own counterpoints to all of the things being said about this series. I've watched the existing 4 parts up to this point and overall find it to be an excellent series.

I particularly enjoy the character reimaginings this series has. Every single one of these characters is probably my favorite version of them, aside from Optimus who isn't any different than usual except maybe a little more angry.

Ratchet particularly stands out. He is explemplary.

I also very much enjoy this Megatron. It's the insanity that I see in the character that I enjoy. He's such a dark character and it's excellent.

I have no problem with the animation. It's very Beast Wars-esque, but also very different. Some characters look a little too much like their movie counterparts for me, but that's probably to give newer fans something to relate to. And Optimus's mouth in this one is even more disturbing than the Liptimus Prime in TFAnimated.

The cast of seasoned voice actors and screen veterans has thoroughly impressed me up to this point. Each character is well voiced and even old hats like Cullen and Welker have given a new edge to their respective characters.

I have one MAJOR problem with the series that is keeping me from liking it more. Let's review the facts:

American G1 was a series primarily about the Transformers and their wars coming to Earth, etc. etc. There was the character of Spike Witwicky and later his son Daniel. They were annoying but not in every episode of the show and not central to the story by any means. In the American G1 comics, Spike is a little more significant but is an even more tolerable character.

Japanese G1 series: Headmasters, SupergodMasterforce, and Victory all have their respective human children which accompany the robots. In Masterforce the interaction between human and TF was central to the story and the characters were again more tolerable.

The Transformers live action movies are primarily the story of Sam and Mikayla (sp?) with the Transformers playing a backseat role to teen drama and angst.

TF animated has Sari, the single worst thing to happen in a Transformers series. It also has annoying human characters like Headmaster.

Beast Wars which is my favorite TF series to date has no commonly reoccuring humans. There are some primative humans in a few episodes and those are the low point of the series for me. But overall the characters are the TFs and they are allowed to develop and be more human themselves because of it.

Notice a pattern? This series so far has been about nothing but the humans. Optimus goes so far as to pair up his Autobots with human children. All the series needs is for Optimus and Ratchet to get human partners (pair Ratchet with Agent Fowler while they're at it) and it will be complete. Let's get some evil humans to pair with Megaton and Starscream too.

The point is, I like Transformers better when there aren't humans in it, no matter how interesting or likeable they are. I want to watch a show about a centuries old interglactic war fought between giant robots with can turn into cars and jets. Not teenagers whining about their problems and the giant robots who befriend them. If that's what this series turns into (and it certainly seems to be going that way), then I may not watch it no matter how well done it is or how epic the music is.

5/10, oh and Miko is well on her way to unseating Sari as the worst thing ever to happen to the TF universe.
Dai Atlas
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Dai Atlas »

Hell of a review Blackjack and makes a lot of sense, never thought about it like that before myself....KUDOS!
-John Lennon